SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 6517 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nottingham Thread

Nottingham is undergoing one of the most far-reaching, substantial and exciting development programmes taking place in any of the UK's cities. More than £3.5 billion is being invested in the City Centre, a combination of public and private sector funds, covering transport, infrastructure and the built environment.

/discuss

·
...notts bantam
191 Posts
Why are there so many Nottingham threads, all with bits and pieces of information? I visit this site quite a bit and usually find thast Insignia is the only one posting in them. Surely one would suffice? I think you've missed out the Centre for Contemporary Art in the under construction list. I was down Fletchergate the other day and it certainly looked like a building site. Despite the derogatory comments this building has received from many Nottinghamians on the BBC website, I think it's ace. Flethchergate will be amazing once this, The Pod and Broadmarsh have been done. Would post a picture but don't know how.

·
Administrator
31,124 Posts
this is part of the problem, all the nottingham stuff is split up over dozens of threads. keeping everything to one thread does serve a purpose.

·
Registered Maniac
1,132 Posts
That Pod looks like some sort of space ship or giant speed camera stuck on an oversized greenhouse but the rest looks cool. I find Nottingham to have a very good balance between old and modern.

·
...notts bantam
191 Posts
I can understand why the Pod has come in for some criticism, but personally I like it. At the very least it is daring architecture and a lot more exciting than most of the bland rubbish that's been put up in Notts over the last few years.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Architects for Nottinghams Train Station happen to be the same people who designed Manchester Piccadilly. This is good news Nottingham needs a Station revamp.

·
Registered Maniac
1,132 Posts
bantam said:
I can understand why the Pod has come in for some criticism, but personally I like it. At the very least it is daring architecture and a lot more exciting than most of the bland rubbish that's been put up in Notts over the last few years.
I just don't like the way it seems to be stuck by those old Victorian buildings, looks out of place. It kind of looks like the Riverside Arts Centre in Newport, this looks much better because it's on its own by the river looks like it should be there.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
There's the Ozone development in the Trent Embankment. Its Proposed, 210ft (65m) waterside building.

A unique £25 million plan to reshape The Meadows area of the City as a landmark zero carbon community and transform the Embankment into a sustainable urban park is to be submitted for Lottery funding in January 2006. If successful Lottery funding would enable a start to be made on the project in 2007.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The £400m redevelopment of the Broadmarsh Centre was officially aproved yesterday with work due to start next year. When its completed in 3-4 years time it will be larger than Meadowhall. Detailed plans for buildings + new tenants (including 2 new department stores) will be anounced in the summer.

1 - 20 of 6517 Posts