Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 631 Posts

·
Registered
40,884 Posts
Great photos, in a way! Mauritania is Africa´s new petrostate. (I ahev read and been told) So change will coem to this town of a by-gone era. When were those photos taken, by the way?

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both cities has it's similarities I guess. However, I feel that Khartoum is much more attractive city in my book.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Judging my the aerial view the city seems to have a small number of 3 story buildings made of cement.

It's quite different than Khartoum geographically. Khartoum lies on the fertile Nile strip and Nouakchott lies on a flat sand desert along the coast with low fertility.

There seems to be a few "new" whitewashed residential buildings judging by a photo above, also some clay brick types too.

The minarets of the mosque seems to be the tallest structure in the city but I could be wrong. ;)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
What an interesting country and such a unique capital ! The architecture o Nouakchott resembles to the ones in Muscat and the topography is almost similar to Salalah. Is Mauritania considered as an Arab country ? Does anyone have the pics of the 2nd largest town, Nouadibou ?

This is the African country that im really interested in, a colorful mixture of nomadic and modern life, Arabic and local traditions, nice food ( the fish with fries looks tastyyy ) with great beaches and superb settings.

·
Expert
21,682 Posts
I don't fancy Mauritania too much, I propose that Western Sahara and Mauritania combine with Morroco, so they can be properly developed :)

·
Casa hiya mdinti
117 Posts
i don't want to bash mauritania, spacialy that i like this country a lot because they the only peacfull neighbours we have . but from these pictures i don't see anything beautiful, the city is built like a camp. and also i m sure that there are nicer places there but tourists tend to takepics of the poor areas , they find them exotic.
also i m sure that in the future noukchot will be very beautifull , specialy that now they have the money to do it and also the democracy

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree. I'm not a fan of this particular city but it's good to have it on this forum, the city could be worked on in the future, so to speak. However, Mauretania's natural landscape is quite nice.

1 - 20 of 631 Posts