SkyscraperCity Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
used to live there long time ago, yeah very beautiful and pleasant environment.
however, island is more like 'apartheid' system : highly race-based system

Caledonian 've just rejected twice to be independent from Colonial power France.
a 3rd attempt is set to proceed, expected to be rejected as well...

unlikely France is willing to let them go...!

·
instagram: t.l.rekarte
60,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
used to live there long time ago, yeah very beautiful and pleasant environment.
however, island is more like 'apartheid' system : highly race-based system

Caledonian 've just rejected twice to be independent from Colonial power France.
a 3rd attempt is set to proceed, expected to be rejected as well...

unlikely France is willing to let them go...!
It's sad
but how it is like "apartheid"? People there don't mix up with themselves?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
It's sad
but how it is like "apartheid"? People there don't mix up with themselves?
Noumea is basically an european city.
I mean populated, run , led and administrated. For my own experience, I didn't witness much mixing and many businesses in noumea belongs to european except small shops, and local groceries. Even at universite du pacifique, students were mostly separated in all tasks. Few com.
We need to understand many french are expatriated, a lot from the military. They come there with their family for 1 up to 3 years. Then go back to France. It s like vacancy in steroid with generous package: air trip fully paid, apprt our house furnished offered for free! They almost all take the money back since they have no intention to settle or live there. So little investment come from them ( coming to new caledonia is like lottery!) . So they stick into their own community and disregard the locals.
Apartheid might be too harsh. Maybe but the distrust is real and racism flagrant.
How do you qualify an island whose native people are put aside and the invaders run it at will and set all rules, enjoy all benefits ? Colonization.
Moreover there is a huge economic gap between european and locals.
I remember a complex housing at magenta (a neighborhood) mostly filled with locals. Large building with impoverished locals...next the beach, beautifully private house almost all europeans.... Say al lot.
That's why my experience was disappointed. Great island and environment but the social fabric is ugly...

41 - 57 of 57 Posts