SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 218 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Velika Gorica

Grande Gorizia

Grand Guriza

I believe could be nice to have a discussion about the future of Gorizia and NovaGorica. As we all know, the cities are intertwined and their biggest hope for the future is to completely integrate.

The total population of a conurbation including Gorizia, Savogna, Nova Gorica, Sempeter-Vrtojba plus immediate sorroundings would be about 80,000 inhabitants. Thus making it the third city in Friuli Venezia Giulia (italian region) and third city of Slovenia (or am I wrong?).

The cities are tight close, but the infrastructures still don't overlap completely. There's much work to do, this could be a dream for an urban developer and architects, a bit like West and East Berlin.

Ok, just to give it a start, I attach a picture explaining the situation clearly:

(edit: image doesnt seem to show up, go to link: http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=grzarea1em9.png)

· Banned
135 Posts
The first thing to do is to completely delete border - connect all streets, roads and other ways, then would be a good thing to do is joined city bus, then also existing train routes could go into other city, concerts could be on border line etc...

· Banned
135 Posts
Interesting hehe :)

Bus line Groizia - Nova Gorica has been running since 2004 and it costs 1€, other than that Nova Gorica bus fares are free.
Whole bus lines should be new and should be running in town(s) like in one single city!

· Banned
135 Posts
Celje is currently the third biggest city in Slovenia (if we do not count Trst as a part of Slovenia).
If we would count Trst than we also can count Celovec andalso Beljak, but i don't know how many people live in Beljak!
And what then if Celje wouldn't be anymore on third place, I wouldn't mind that! But even if this happen Nova Gorica would still have same population as before...

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand your confusion.

What I meant is that - under a simply urban point of view - Gorizia, NG and Sempeter are already one city. And if we look at both FVG region and Slovenia, as far as I know this is the overall top10:

1) Ljubljana
2) Triest/Trieste/Trst
3) Maribor
4) Udin/Udine
5) "Greater GO"
6) Pordenon/Pordenone
7) Celje
8) Kranj
9) Koper/Capodistria
10) Novo Mesto

Anyway, please everybody avoid any nationalist attempt in this topic. I don't feel really italian, but neither I do feel slovenian. I'm just proud of my region (Küstenland/Litorale/Primorska) and I'm a strong European patriot. :)

ok, back to topic.

DinoBond is right, the first thing to do should be work on the road network. close to Transalpina/Woheiner/Bohinjska trainstation (former North Gorizia, now Nova Gorica) goes the border, and there you see one striking idiot thing: two parallel roads running by, divided by a wall. each of them quite narrow! and in the same square in front of train station, no more wall (so we look cool) but they placed flower stoney baskets, so you can't pass the border with car.

same thing goes with many other roads.
although, something is moving...

for example, the shorter way to connect Gorizia and NG town centres is no more the outskirts road coming from CasaRossa/RoznaDolina border point (which enters NG from south-east, under Panovec tunnel); but the again opened to traffic central road of S.Gabriele/Erjavceva. the ancient name of the road is "of the Graveyard" because it leaded to the big graveyard, located where now is NG townhall :lol:

it's a straight long road, along with Corso Italia/Verdi, the longest urban road in the conglomeration. I would love to see it renamed "Europe avenue" (viale Europa, Evropska ulica). :):):)

all border points have been opened to traffic apart one: Rafut/Pristava one, just behind Gorizia castle (ancient name Prestau). it's still a walk-only passage, and this annoyed me a lot because would be my shortest way to go to LJ...:eek:hno: (they planted those antitraffic columns right after opening up the border!)

by the way, this online map KICKS ASS.
http://www.nova-gorica.si/karta_mesta/index.html

:cheers:

· Registered
1,929 Posts
U can't count any city outside of Slovenia as a part of Slovenia. We don't have any official collonies. I thought that was/is logical... :lol:
I also thought that a part of a country can not just be annexed to another, but the example of Trieste tells us otherwise. That's why I still count Trieste as a Slovenian, not an Italian city.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also thought that a part of a country can not just be annexed to another, but the example of Trieste tells us otherwise. That's why I still count Trieste as a Slovenian, not an Italian city.
Triest once upon a time: biggest slovenian city, but still, with an italian majority.
and most important, build and ruled by austrian people.

so I guess whatever state would annex it, it would be something wrong.

we must be united now that we are all in EU!

· Registered
4,061 Posts
I know what u meant with the 2 roads.. it looks stupid now, and that fence in the middle while you're on the way to the supposed monument of openness of borders is just a joke :D

The square, however, has those flower pots there, because it's supposed to be a car-free zone, and i don't think cars will ever be allowed to cross the square. The centre circle is also raised quite high above ground level for the exact same reason.
The area has huge potential tho :cheers:

1 - 20 of 218 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.