SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Curbed LA:

Get ready for November, when all of your transportation dreams may become reality. Sort of. The Lookout News reports on the "Transportation Symposium 2" held last week in Santa Monica to discuss the future of light rail projects on the Westside. A lot of today's hopes for expansion of light rail to Santa Monica and the Westside hinges on what voters do at the ballot box this fall, where $4 billion in bond money set aside for transportation will be on the docket. Officials from Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Culver City and West Hollywood are hoping the bond money will help complete the Exposition Light Rail, linking Santa Monica and Downtown Los Angeles. When it’s finished, 72,000 passengers are expected to ride the train each day.

Phase 1 of the project to bring the train west to Culver City is already funded and will break ground next year. If all goes well, it will be completed in 2010.

Now officials are scrambling to come up with $750 million more to bring the line the rest of the way to Santa Monica. Projected completion for Phase 2 is 2015. As County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky notes, other crappier parts of the county like Claremont will have light rail long before Santa Monica and the Wilshire corridor, and they barely have enough people to support it. Now that former NIMBYs and general anti-light rail enthusiasts on the Westside have joined the call for light rail, all that's required is some money to fund the system. · Transit Symposium Focuses on Light Rail [Lookout News] Here's the link: http://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_...-2006/May-2006/05_08_06_Transit_Symposium.htm

SO, LET'S GET OUT AND VOTE YES TO THIS BOND MEASURE COME NOVEMBER. LET'S WALK THE TALK!

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
^ This might come to a shock to some of you but I'm the least Public Transit user here. Although I do welcome Light Rail all over the city not just the Westside of LA. The only concern I have is why do we need a Light Rail Train and a Subway Both to go to Santa Monica. What did Santa Monica do to deserve 2 metros lines to service this Independent city? Can someone explain this to me, I would really appreciate it. Why can't one of those lines come up to Southwest Los Angeles and service us in Westchester/LAX/South Bay LA areas???? Huh!

Oh wait we have the Green Line the (Train) to nowhere, gee we are special. The MTA Board needs to consider this side of town since we are part of the City of Los Angeles, not a incorporate area of the county...... I need to get more informed on this bond. This is not the end of this!!!!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Click on the link Fern! http://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_...-2006/May-2006/05_08_06_Transit_Symposium.htm

Apparently, according to the studies, the Westside (including Santa Monica) has the second largest concentration of jobs in LA and there are no current plans to develop mass transit other than the Expo Line. The Westside is also a high-density area and very car-dependent. Wilshire Blvd. is the most used transportation artery in the county. Needless to say, the beach is one of LA's great natural assets--for rest & recreation (and has been for generations) and should be accesible to EVERYONE! and not to a select few. If Architect Frank Gehry is to be believed, our downtown, conceptually, is a linear one---that is Wilshire Blvd. Try driving up and down this boulevard any time, any day and you will see the diversity of the LA urban landscape. It is the link that connects the neighborhoods---just imagine, a subway line through Santa Monica, Westwood, Beverly Hills, Miracle Mile, Mid-Wilshire, Koreatown, Macarthur Park, City West, Downtown and then to Pasadena and East LA. This I think will give us the connection we need to experience LA as a city the way New Yorkers do! Mass transit is a means for mobility---mobility to go ANYWHERE in the city, from the Eastside to the Westside to the Valley, North or South, etc. The system should not be limited to one particular area or one income group, because if it does, then what's the point?

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
^ I totally understand what the statistics say and what not. Yes Give SM the Subway or the Expo Line NOTboth. In that case the 405 corridor would benefit from this a whole lot more. I just personality think is a bunch of Bull.... that's just me!!!!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Ferneynism said:
^ This might come to a shock to some of you but I'm the least Public Transit user here. Although I do welcome Light Rail all over the city not just the Westside of LA. The only concern I have is why do we need a Light Rail Train and a Subway Both to go to Santa Monica. What did Santa Monica do to deserve 2 metros lines to service this Independent city? Can someone explain this to me, I would really appreciate it. Why can't one of those lines come up to Southwest Los Angeles and service us in Westchester/LAX/South Bay LA areas???? Huh!

Oh wait we have the Green Line the (Train) to nowhere, gee we are special. The MTA Board needs to consider this side of town since we are part of the City of Los Angeles, not a incorporate area of the county...... I need to get more informed on this bond. This is not the end of this!!!!!!
the two trains (Expo and Wilshire) both end in Santa Monica, but the serve VASTLY different areas that need at least those two lines, probably a few more. The wilshire line will be the busiest Subway line outside of NYC in America, and the Expo line, once completed will give the Blue line a run for the most heavily used LRT in the Country. There is a massive pent updemand for these line and both should have been built 20 years ago. Its not like these are the last two lines built in LA, there will be plenty more and these two are only part of the puzzle. Also, that "Gren Line to nowhere" serves 40,000 passengers a day and wonce expanded to LAX and north, who knows how high that number will go.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Ferneynism said:
^ I totally understand what the statistics say and what not. Yes Give SM the Subway or the Expo Line NOTboth. In that case the 405 corridor would benefit from this a whole lot more. I just personality think is a bunch of Bull.... that's just me!!!!
It is not an this OR that situation. Its not the terminus that matters, rather the route. Expo serves a completely different part of teh community. Someone on Expo and Normandie cant take ther ed line. Be real. The 405 line is very important and will get built, and that will be possible after both expo and red are built. The 405 line will connect to the wilshrie line and Expo at a second union station of sorts in Santa Monica, and after that there are about 20 more rail lines to be built in LA.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
^ LASF, I completely understand your whole point of view and whatnot. Yes both lines will serve different parts of the communities. So why don't they built one know for Santa Monica now. Then start with the Silver or even yellow line instead. In a couple of years then they can add a second line to Santa Monica. To me that makes a whole lot more sense and I'm sure other Angelinos are going to be asking the same question????

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Ferneynism said:
^ LASF, I completely understand your whole point of view and whatnot. Yes both lines will serve different parts of the communities. So why don't they built one know for Santa Monica now. Then start with the Silver or even yellow line instead. In a couple of years then they can add a second line to Santa Monica. To me that makes a whole lot more sense and I'm sure other Angelinos are going to be asking the same question????

Because the Wilshire subway is by far the most pressing need right now. Also, there is no funding or all the other necessary stuff to even think about starting on the silver line or the yellow line nad other lines. Do you know how long the planning for expo has been going on, same with the wilshire line.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
i want highways over streets like bangkok or tokyo!

or, but also as unlikly, a non metrolink train serving alhambra and san gabriel

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
godblessbotox said:
a non metrolink train serving alhambra and san gabriel

^ Huh?......... Botox, you might want to consider moving to LA city limits!!!

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Ferneynism said:
Density my friend. Job placement as well. Popular activities. Sorry, Westchester has none of these and just isn't the place for a rail line terminus much less a stop. But you people got what you wanted. A quasi-suburban neighborhood, friendly to the car, unfriendly to the pedestrian, a non-walkable area with block after block of single family homes and draconian zoning. Don't cry now Argentina! Drive don't walk to the nearest grocery store with ample parking out front, my train and vote will never be for a rail line terminus or even a stop in your so wonderfully protected neighborhood.

Santa Monica-10,178 per square mile
Westchester-3,188.1 per square mile

SM is 3 times as dense as Westchester. On top of that SM and Pasadena has stepped up and are now the most transit/pedestrian/smart growth/density friendly areas in the county. (Excluding certain parts of LA city).

2 or 3 terminating lines in the City Of Santa Monica will be a beautiful thing!! From Downtown LA to SM and from the Hollywood Hills to about the 10 is just about the size of Manhattan, and ironically is the most active contiguous area in LA county. I will be out voting in November!

Build on!

Correction:
Their are 3 lines that are either being built as we speak, are immenently to break ground or who just got some seed funding to start in the near future. They are East LA Gold, Expo to Culver City and Gold line extension beyond Pasadena respectively.

Remember an all day Metro pass is cheaper than a gallon of gas!:baeh3:

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Fun facts:

Talking of density. The new Gold Line Eastside Ext. will be terminating in an unicorporated area famously known as East LA(thanx to Cheech and Chong) w/ a whopping density of 16,697 ppsqmile!! And as far as (waiting with bated breath)the Expo Line, it will be going through the areas of Southeast Los Angeles, West Adams, South LA, Jefferson Park to name a few all with densities up and above 12,000 ppsqmile, w/ South LA brimming at over 17,000!! It's terminus in CC is at a low of only 7,000 ppsqmile but their is really no doubt that the Cornbelt double-wide immigrants that are the life and heart of its very close next door neighbor Palms will fully take advantage of this line. Did I fail to mention that Palms.....yes, Palms is brimming over at more than 22,000 ppsqmile!! That would be close to 8 times the number of Westchester and over 3 times the number of Culver City. Is it not obvious that LA is in desperate need of rail lines all over the goddammed place, even if they share a common terminus from time to time, like every other successful rail system on planet Earth!!

Check facts at:
http://www.laalmanac.com/cities/ci93.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Los_Angeles,_California

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: Westchester this Westchester that..........

Realistically we need some love from MTA as well. That sucks we have to pay and not enjoy it. I really need to find out when the next Westchester Homeowners association meeting is taking place. I'm sure their interested in this as well.

On the serious note how are you going to compare Westchester w/ SM? SM is an independent city in LA County and we are part of the city of LA. Besides they have more apartments than we do. Wait don't laugh, it's not my fault we have very few apartments in this city. Besides if we are topping 3,188.i per sq. mile then we have the sufficient bodies to be consider transit friendly. So we need a line to go thru our community, as long as it remains on Sepulveda off couse.

Now that I'm thinking about I've been receiving ballot and poll information in the mail. I shouldn't recycled those damm papers and whatnot.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
The next 10 years is going to be rather amusing to watch in LA. All of these former anti-rapid mass transit areas now will be fighting for the next subway and light rail line to come through their community. Case in point: Look at what the Red Line has brought to Hollywood Blvd. On any given weekend, it is literally becoming hard to get down the sidewalk especially the closer you get to Hollywood and High. Walk down to Sunset......no tourists, no huge crowds, no Shrek or Spongebob.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
^ Exactly that's why we can't be left behind. We have so much to offer like LAX and Howard Hughes to name a few. So you see we desperately need light rail and pronto. I totally lost hope on the Green Line (to nowhere) ever coming down to Westchester. It seems we are always been left out of the loop. Frankly we were never against light rail in the past.. That's so foul and it screams secession............. :(

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
The Green Line is your only hope in the immediate future. BTW, whoever gave you the idea that the Green Line was a train to nowhere? As "Sportsfan" has mentioned before, the train carries over 30,000+ riders daily, more than the Gold Line. I see many a rider use it to access the Crenshaw, Inglewood and Hawthorne areas. And for a train that neither makes it to the Metrolink station in Norwalk to the east or the airport to the west, still has decent ridership.

Your best bet (if you are serious) is to get in touch with "Friends Of The Green Line", the only coalition that I know of who advocate for a stop in Westchester. Here is their link:
http://thetransitcoalition.us/GreenLine.htm

·
Registered
290 Posts
My question for Ferneynism is why he lives in Westchester. Do you own a home/condo? Do you live with your parents? Do you have an apartment? Do you go to school/work around there? Why do you live there? If you want to see mass transit in your hood, if at all, you can always move to a more transit friendly neighborhood. I live in Playa Del Rey (just a stones throw away) because I love the beach and I run and ride my bike on the beach path multiple times a week. I work in Century City and its about a half hour commute. I don't complain about transit ever hitting Playa because its just not gonna happen with only about 5000 people living here. However, I have considered moving up to West LA so i can bus to work or the beach. My point is that I live in Playa by choice and it doesnt seem to be that way for you. Regardless, I will vote for the transit bond.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Good point. But EVEN Playa Del Rey has twice the density than Westchester. What a wonderful little neighborhood Playa Del Rey is. It gives you authentic beach town while still being in the city. So how do you feel about that big development(forgot the name but their are commercials about how bad it isn't, so it must be pretty bad) that has just been built next door? How do you think that traffic, your hood and your lifestyle will be effected?

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
solongfullerton said:
My question for Ferneynism is why he lives in Westchester. Do you own a home/condo? Do you live with your parents? Do you have an apartment? Do you go to school/work around there? Why do you live there? If you want to see mass transit in your hood, if at all, you can always move to a more transit friendly neighborhood. I live in Playa Del Rey (just a stones throw away) because I love the beach and I run and ride my bike on the beach path multiple times a week. I work in Century City and its about a half hour commute. I don't complain about transit ever hitting Playa because its just not gonna happen with only about 5000 people living here. However, I have considered moving up to West LA so i can bus to work or the beach. My point is that I live in Playa by choice and it doesnt seem to be that way for you. Regardless, I will vote for the transit bond.

^ :eek:mg: I cannot believe my living situation comes into question......

But if you must know here goes the story. I am originally from the Valley, yes the Valley (K). I grew up in the Valley Village area on Chandler and Coldwater Cyn. Was North Hollywood until then change the name but whatever. I got a goodpaying job in the Ladera/Culver area so I had to commute on the 405 everyday to and from work. That was too much so my dad informed that his russian tenants were going to vacate the house in Westchester and if i wanted to move in and you know take care of it. So offcourse this is family I figure cheap rent and whatnot. So I took my dads offer moved in and next thing you know my sister and my cousin Abner move in and rest you know. I like it here is soooo fresh and clean and dirt cheap rent. So I think I'm going to stick around for a bit and that's why I'm all for light rail in my hood.

Oh yea you ask about a job, I quit last month on the 20th. 4 years working in the same place, not for me. Besides summer is pretty much here and it's time to chill......

I hope this answer your question?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you Ferneynism.

You're comments PERFECTLY explain JUST HOW DAMN STUPID IT IS to build a rail system this way. You can't put one or two rail lines on the ballot and expect the rest of the county to understand their individual importance. All it does is pit region against region, politician against politician, and leaves the fate of the whole darn rail system to electoral winds. You have to put a RAIL SYSTEM on the ballot that covers the entire damn county, that EVERYONE feels they have a stake in, that all edges of the county can rally behind.

There needs to be a plan to build about a dozen light/heavy rail lines throughout the county, and upgrade Metrolink by electrifying the tracks, adding more lines (particuarly to the South Bay) and double-tracking current sections. That plan - that RAIL SYSTEM needs to be put before the countywide voters. I propose setting a date to make the entire system operational (20 years: January 1, 2026!), issuing a huge bond ($30-40 billion) and paying it off with increased transportation related taxes and fees.

I've made the first draft of my proposal and I'm almost done with my second.

And Ferneyism, the Aqua line serves the 10 corridor. The Wilshire line serves the Wilshire corridor. The Wilshire corridor by the way has the greatest density of any area west of Manhattan. Places like Pico Union, Wilshire Center, Westlake and Koreatown all have 35K people/mile plus. Some census tracts actually have densities in the 95K and 96K people/mile. These people help make Wilshire the most used bus line in the entire state and likely west of the Mississippi, Vermont the second most used bus line in the MTA, and Western the third most used bus line in the MTA. (There was a reason these were the first, second and third streets to get rapid buses and articulated buses). The 10 and Wilshire corridors become one essentially about a couple of miles west of the 405. But prior to that they serve completely different areas and people. Both need serious traffic relief (10 freeway and Wilshire).

But to answer your "What about Westchester" question most people envision Westchester being served by a Lincoln Blvd line that would be the northern spur of the Green Line with stops at LAX and Lincoln/Manchester. I also see it being served by a 405/Sepulveda Line (Manchester/Sepulveda and Centinela/Sepulveda) and a line that travels down Florence and Centinela (also Centinela/Sepulveda).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts