Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Proud "Pricktorian"
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NRL offers little cheer for women
Email Print Normal font Large font May 28, 2006

Rugby league is a long way from a women-friendly spectator sport, writes Samantha Lane

NSW fans "welcome" a cheerleader to Telstra Stadium last week.
Photo: Glen McCurtayne

WORD is that the National Rugby League is looking to officially recognise the contribution of women to its game, AFL-style. But before the NRL considers bells, whistles and pink ribbons, it would do well to start with some analysis of match-day happenings, where there is a change screaming out to be made.

It's a change that might not please every spectator, but one that would go miles to creating a more inclusive environment for women.

As an uninitiated spectator at last Wednesday's state-of-origin match, I didn't expect to leave Sydney's Telstra Stadium with an expert understanding of the subtleties of a foreign code. Nor did I expect such an in-your-face experience that demonstrated, in the starkest of ways, the great contrast in AFL and NRL crowd culture.

An initial observation was a welcome, if not coincidental, one, noted in the ladies' toilets pre-match. There were no queues. Outside, it was also difficult to spot the women, particularly the 20-somethings, which might go some way to explaining the leering attention directed at my companion as we walked to our seats.

The pre-match entertainment was standard modern-day sporting event fare — fireworks, throbbing nightclub music and an anthem rendition — until the cheerleaders filed out. A dozen or so women, sparkling pompoms in hands and clad in lycra hotpants, bikini tops and knee-high boots, began a routine of body rolls, general bumping and grinding and booty shaking. This was not a demonstration in contortionism, acrobatics or even wonderful flexibility. It was showgirl dancing.

It was some relief when play began. That was until the cheerleading brigade split into groups and, in different directions, made their way around separate sides of the ground while play continued. Throughout their trek around the boundary, they were wolf whistled and cheered at wildly. They waved and smiled.

At half-time, the troupe returned for an encore centre-stage performance. There was more crowd hooting and, unable to recall feeling more alienated or ostracised at a sporting event, I wondered what the other young, female, prospective league fans in the audience were thinking. What was welcoming about this environment?

On Thursday night, the MCG was almost completely filled for a one-off sporting special with a festive bunch of ladies and gents. They watched the Matildas play before the Socceroos. The Mexican wave and the odd flare were the only distractions from play.

On Friday night, it was business as usual. Collingwood played the Western Bulldogs and, completely unprompted, my accomplice for that night — attending just her third AFL match — commented on how "wholesome" an experience she thought it was. Men, women, kids, parents, grandparents, thermoses, sandwiches and rugs. Random ruffians of course, but at this game a man named Joffa was the only cheerleader dressed in sequins.

Just as the AFL controls what happens on its game days — and it must be noted that, for reasons that require explanation, cheerleaders still form part of the pre-match before Adelaide games — the NRL can authorise what and what won't form part of its contests.

If the cheerleaders don't go, no amount of well-intentioned, girl-power window dressing will convince anyone that the establishment is taking women seriously.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/league/little-cheer-for-women/2006/05/27/1148524934110.html

What a crock of shit article, what do you expect when there are hot models dancing around, thats what they are there for- entertainment, of course people are going to celebrate this, I see women go to all sporting events, even boxing etc. Rugby and AFL are both the same when it comes to women in football....AFL is the same, its a male sport, small proportions of the female population will go.

What is Sam Lane thinking??

·
Registered
77,347 Posts
should of posted this in nRL thread.

·
Proud "Pricktorian"
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All the author of the article (sam lane for those who dont know on the afl before the game show) is pressing her feminist thoughts, one of those feminists who claim of male dominance and all that rubbish.

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,568 Posts
What a crock of shit! shes probably one of those female activisists who happens to be an bias AFL fan.

Ive been to every code of footy and i can report there is no difference with the number of females at games. as for toilets, maybe Telstra Stadium just has more of them.

Cheerleaders chose to be there. theyre not forced to be there. My Gf has no problems with them and doesnt fell ostracised. pull the other one sam lane. bitch!

·
26,697 Posts
Hey they complain if the line ups for the toilets are long and now they're (she's) complaining that she was able to walk straight in...can't win!!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
lmao @ the writer, these feminine writers cry so much

·
Developer
7,686 Posts
The latest figures from the ABS (2002) show that 513,000 women went to see a rugby league match in 2002 while 982,000 women went to see an AFL match.

·
26,697 Posts
^^What are the male statistics...i.e. there might have been many more people who watched AFL compared to League. Both together provide the accurate statistic (BTW I have absolutely no idea)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well using those ABS 2002 stats with Austadiums 2003 stats...

NRL
3,132,046 / 513,000 = 6.11 men for every woman.

AFL
6,351,251 / 982,000 = 6.47 men for every woman.

So round them out to a 6:1 men:women ratio and we have things pretty even?

At the end of the day. Who cares! Lol

·
Developer
7,686 Posts
You can't mix up those two sets of stats because the ABS stats are just how many women went to at least one game in a single year wheras the total attendance includes people who go to more than one game a year.

100% more women went to AFL games than RL while only 60% more men went to AFL games than RL games.

Over 40% of your average AFL crowd are women.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well if that is the case, good on the AFL for attracting that many women.. any hotties? :D

The NRL has to work on the women. Will getting rid of cheer leaders do this?

·
©
9,478 Posts
Grollo said:
The latest figures from the ABS (2002) show that 513,000 women went to see a rugby league match in 2002 while 982,000 women went to see an AFL match.
AFL gets better crowds than the NRL, so i'm sure the ratio would be very even, maybe even in favour of the NRL actually. So that little stat doesn't really say much.....

·
Registered
77,347 Posts
NRL needs to redo there wardrobe to attract more ladies. We need to shorten the shorts, so they look 3 sizes too small and rip off the jersey arms to expose arm & sholder muscles. :cheer:
or we could do what Gridiron did in USA. give each player massive shoulder pads to enhance width and wear robin hood tights. phhoar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts