SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 288 Posts

·
New Urbanist
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

TUNNEL CONSTRUCTION HAS COMMENCED
Brisbane's North South Bypass Tunnel aka the NSBT is Australia's largest project since the Sydney Olympic games! This is also Brisbane's biggest project EVER! AND the longest tunnel in Australia approximately 5.2kms in length!! Worth around 2 billion dollars and very futuristic...
NSBT web site

Video's here, http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/story/0,20797,18955020-952,00.html
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:STANDARD:1434190570:pc=PC_1717
The NSBT will:
* address existing and predicted future congestion levels in and around the city
* remove a significant amount of vehicles from the existing surface roads in the city
* complete a CBD bypass and inner city ring road system
* deliver a better network for pedestrians, cyclists and public transport
* free up road space to enable opportunities for public transport and other modes of transport along the NSBT corridor
* save motorists up to 15 minutes on a cross-city trip and reduce the peak-hour travel time across the City
* enable motorists to avoid 18 sets of traffic lights
* improve air quality in the city by reducing surface traffic
* enable regeneration of urban centres in Woolloongabba, Bowen Hills and Kangaroo Point
* employ more than 1,200 people at the peak of construction
* allow the people of Brisbane and Queensland to invest in the road through a public share offer
* include state of the art electronic tolling, interoperable with other Australian electronic toll roads
* create new standards in tolling customer service, particularly in convenience, flexibility and transparency.

NSBT CONNECTIONS

The Northern distributor ( Via ICB )...

The Southern connection ( Via Pacific motorway )
Zoom up...

The Central connection ( Via Shafston Avenue )

Zoom

All

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
Original Cost - $900 million
Blown Out Cost - Near $2 billion
Original toll - $2.20
Forecast toll - $4.00

but........................................................

15 minutes less travel time and 18 missed lights.

This is Australia's largest and longest tunnel plus we have one even bigger approved and up for tender and the stingey Commonwealth Govt wont give us a penny in funding. Just like they are selling us the short end of the straw with the Ipswich Mwy

·
Former Member
1,227 Posts
Sucked in Mac Bank! If the Mac-bank team won, the toll would start out at $4.00 and would rise to $30 in a week... Profit hungry bastards.

·
Former Member
1,227 Posts
Maroon Grown said:
15 minutes less travel time and 18 missed lights.
Actually there already is a traffic light-free route (unless you're going south, in which case there's 1 set) -- via Hale Street and the Inner City bypass. But the 15 minutes reduced travel time is definitley true. Hale Street is a bitch (and it was engineered to the lowest possible standards, IMO)... even outside peak.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
trentthomson said:
Sucked in Mac Bank! If the Mac-bank team won, the toll would start out at $4.00 and would rise to $30 in a week... Profit hungry bastards.
and leighton wouldnt? lol
macquarie is the worlds biggest owner of tollway's and most of their sydney assets are reasonably priced - the new M7 in sydney is great and not that expensive

when these contracts are developed very few governments allow companies to raise prices as much as they like

its usually something like CPI +1% per year, GDP + 1% or something very similar

·
Former Member
1,227 Posts
zach24 said:
and leighton wouldnt? lol
macquarie is the worlds biggest owner of tollway's and most of their sydney assets are reasonably priced - the new M7 in sydney is great and not that expensive

when these contracts are developed very few governments allow companies to raise prices as much as they like

its usually something like CPI +1% per year, GDP + 1% or something very similar
I dunno, there's just something I don't like about Macquarie...

·
Yeah but No!!
1,504 Posts
Is this really Australia's longest Tunnel? I would have thought the M5 tunnel in Sydney was longer, of course I could be wrong, maybe its just that I always get stuck in traffic on the M5 so it seems really long. Either way, YAY thats its one step closer to being a reality.

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
^^ PLUS you have the EVEN LONGER Airport Link Tunnel which is between $1-2 Billion and the Gateway Duplication and upgrade which is $1.6 Billion

Other large road projects include the widening and Transit Lanes on the M1 Springwood - Logan Mwy, SW Motorway corridor, Ipwich Mwy widening and Bruce Highway widening, Hale St Bridge Link and possible Toowong - Herston tunnel

Public Transport doesnt miss out. $250 Inner Northern Busway, $900 Million Northern Busway and the $???? Eastern Busway, UQ/Boggo Busway & Green Bridge, plus additional train tracks and station upgrades to the major suburban lines

youd wanna be a construction contractor in Brisbane ATM

·
Here
6,589 Posts
GMAC said:
Is this really Australia's longest Tunnel? I would have thought the M5 tunnel in Sydney was longer, of course I could be wrong, maybe its just that I always get stuck in traffic on the M5 so it seems really long. Either way, YAY thats its one step closer to being a reality.
M5 is 4 km long and this will be 5km.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I heard a rumor today that one of the reasons Macquarie lost was because it proposed a more expensive three lane each way tunnel option - whereas ABN Amro/Leighton proposed the cheaper two lane proposal - and hence viewed as containing less risk
Would have been better to see a two lane with rail connection
If only!

·
D grade celebrity
1,195 Posts
What I don't get is why didnt' they tender it all at once? Will there be any toll caps for driving on the NSBT then Airport link etc?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
of course there will be toll caps
it will be something like GDP + 1-2% per year rises or CPI + 1-2% - or if unlucky just CPI

·
Premium Member
9,528 Posts
zach24 said:
I heard a rumor today that one of the reasons Macquarie lost was because it proposed a more expensive three lane each way tunnel option - whereas ABN Amro/Leighton proposed the cheaper two lane proposal - and hence viewed as containing less risk
Would have been better to see a two lane with rail connection
If only!
The Courier Mail was reporting that Macquarie wanted road closures as part of the deal, just like the Sydney cross tunnel disaster, and the BCC said no.

Rail would be good, but if things go to plan I think we are going to get it anyway, and with probably a better tunnel alignment if it is also serving Spring Hill, Riverside, QUT and the Gabba that's 3 badly needed new City Stations (and one even more badly needed station close to my place :) ).

·
D grade celebrity
1,195 Posts
zach24 said:
of course there will be toll caps
it will be something like GDP + 1-2% per year rises or CPI + 1-2% - or if unlucky just CPI

I don't mean those kind of caps I am talking about a set top price for travelling from the Gabba to Stafford etc. That will be potentially through 2 different toll providers.

ie On the M7 in Sydney there is a top cap if you drive the entire length - but here that may not happen....

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
^^ yeah i know what u mean. i hope u dont have to pay like $10 just to drive from gabba to toombul.

with the NSBT, i think u should only pay for what u use. eg. if u exit @ Shafston, you should only pay half coz u only used half the tunnel.

1 - 20 of 288 Posts