·
The City
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NU grads say Daley too small for big day
As commencement speaker, mayor a letdown, some say
By Jodi S. Cohen and Brian Cox | Chicago Tribune
May 29, 2008
Mayor Richard Daley may be a political powerhouse in Chicago, but just over the city line in Evanston, some seniors at Northwestern University think he's too, well, parochial to be their commencement speaker.

Students say they feel let down because the choice, announced this week, doesn't carry the cachet of recent speakers, Sens. Barack Obama and John McCain, or even last year's speaker, Julia Louis-Dreyfus of "Seinfeld."

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I can see why they are upset, it sounds like the school really hyped it up. Unless you are from Chicago (which most NU students are not), why would they care about Daley?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Before they make this complaint, these grads should examine the recent problems with Northwestern and spend time cleaning their own house.

First, Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism had it's head clearly fabricating quotes in a PUBLISHED letter. The fact that this was in a supposedly elite JOURNALISM school made this guy's offense especially bad. And then what happened? The guy was forgiven. No consequences.

Then, the Northwestern Law School has Jerry Springer as its commencement speaker. That fact needs no comment.

On the basis of the above events, any graduation at Northwestern should feel LUCKY they have Daley, and I am certainly no fan of Daley.

·
Chicago Enthusiast
2,560 Posts
I can see why they are upset, it sounds like the school really hyped it up. Unless you are from Chicago (which most NU students are not), why would they care about Daley?
because he has been a great mayor and leader for one of largest cities in the country? And it happens to be the same city the school borders???

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
^ I get it, but if I was a student graduating there and previous speakers were Obama and Mccain, I might be upset that Daley was the speaker. To the average non-chicagoan mayor Daley probably isn't that big of a deal

·
Registered
283 Posts
These students are spoiled brats - like a kid crying over receiving a new Audi instead of a Porsche on their 16th birthday. I would love to hear Daley speak, if for no other reason than to enjoy how crude and up-front our mayor is. I mean, he has got to have something interesting to say.

And please don't look too far into my car comparison ;) I don't even know much about cars

·
Chicago Enthusiast
2,560 Posts
^ I get it, but if I was a student graduating there and previous speakers were Obama and Mccain, I might be upset that Daley was the speaker. To the average non-chicagoan mayor Daley probably isn't that big of a deal
you'd be upset??? sorry a presidential candidate is the minimum for those brats.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ah, college-bashing time.

The quoting scandal at Medill was probably only a scandal because he actually admitted to it (or perhaps the quote was just that bad of a stretch). Many reporters get their quotes wrong all the time, sometimes deliberately. The "Corrections" section of a newspaper mostly serves to allow the paper to pretend that its only errors are minor and clerical.

The story quotes a student who says that given the serious ethical breaches in the Daley administration, he doesn't seem like a person who should be giving life advice to fresh college graduates. You can disagree with that sentiment, but calling the student names based on lazy stereotypes of what college students are like makes you the child, not him. Most of these students also come from places outside Daley's sphere of influence, where he has nowhere near the hero-worship status he enjoys among some here.

If I were a Northwestern senior, I would probably prefer to see someone else if for no other reason than that Daley is a notoriously bad public speaker. Patrick Fitzgerald would have been a great choice though.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Unless you are from Chicago (which most NU students are not)
How well known is Northwestern? I know U of Chicago has an enormous reputation all over the world. Does the same go for Northwestern?

I'm just curious because I grew up on the northside/northshore of Chicago and Northwestern was just always that university I would ride my bike to, and I didn't think much about it. Obviously I know its a good school and ranks very highly on U.S. News reports, but is it a school people around the country are hoping to go to?

I remember the Sopranos daughter said she would apply to Northwestern instead of Columbia to piss her parents off. ;)

·
The City
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys, in a sense I agree that NW grads are acting like total spoiled brats, but lets look at the situation here:

If I had a chance to watch a Daley speech as well as meet him in person, I would jump at the opportunity. But in reality, that's because I'm an urban enthusiast. The vast majority of people (NW students included) could care less about such issues as urban development, transit, etc etc. So what's in it for them to hear Daley speak?

Besides, if they are like anybody else they have largely heard the local media bent which tends to portray (rightly so, I'm sure) Daley as a corrupt machine boss. And if there's anything I know about starry-eyed, idealistic college students, they LOVE to harp on the perceived "bad, corrupt" guy largely because they haven't had the slightest exposure to the workings of the real world in their young lives.

·
Chicago Enthusiast
2,560 Posts
The vast majority of people (NW students included) could care less about such issues as urban development, transit, etc etc. So what's in it for them to hear Daley speak?
vast majority? how do you figure? I'm sure most law students would be interested to hear his thoughts about his experiences running a big city. All of them are probably going to work for law firms in big cities, and I'm sure many will even stay in Chicago.

·
The City
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
vast majority? how do you figure? I'm sure most law students would be interested to hear his thoughts about his experiences running a big city. All of them are probably going to work for law firms in big cities, and I'm sure many will even stay in Chicago.
^ You'd think.

But clearly they're not happy having him as a speaker

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm sure they would be fascinated to hear him talk about the Shakman decrees.

Also keep in mind this is the undergraduate college, not the law school.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's always a good idea when reading news stories about colleges and universities to remember a) bashing college students is incredibly popoular, whether deserved or not, b) a reporter can always find a college student who will say something that becomes news fodder regardless of how many students actually share that opinion, and c) students are pretty powerless to complain about unfair coverage. The vast majority of stories like this are more fluff than not.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
These students are spoiled brats - like a kid crying over receiving a new Audi instead of a Porsche on their 16th birthday. I would love to hear Daley speak, if for no other reason than to enjoy how crude and up-front our mayor is. I mean, he has got to have something interesting to say.

And please don't look too far into my car comparison ;) I don't even know much about cars
totally self centered, totally rude, totally filled with their own sense of importance, and totally indicative of getting nothing out of the parts of an NU comprehensive education that are more affective in nature compared to those parts that get measured by an SAT test.

Disgusting.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
The Urban Politician;21237009The vast majority of people (NW students included) could care less about such issues as urban development said:
Should a commencement address be based on who students want to hear or should their education have prepared them to be able to come to their graduation with an understanding that nobody knows what they are going to get out of this speech that marks a critical transition point in their lives....and that a receptive, open-minded, and intelligent student is able to gain insight from people who have been successful in life and have words of words of wisdom to share with them.

The very unknown nature of the commencement address is one of its strengths. No one knows what these beauty are going to say. And that's part of the beauty of it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts