SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
jive turkey
2,343 Posts
What do I think?...they're hardcore... esp in nyc..
some companies tag their messengers and monitor their
heart rate to prevent slackin'.. nuts right?...

I did it here in Dallas for a couple years, only we were called "downtown walkers"...
nowhere near the intensity, or volume of a nyc messenger... ..damn good money though..

·
Registered
406 Posts
I was set to do this in Chicago one summer, but ended up getting another job...

Probably a good thing; I've been hit by two cabs before already. But then I ride around traffic like these guys, anyway.

·
Member, Winifred Fan Club
2,973 Posts
My gf was a bike messenger in NYC. She's one of the biggest bike snobs I know... oooh have to be fixed gear... oooh no helmets... oooh. Heheh. Pretty cool anyway. I think it's pretty cool. :)

I get on her case about the no helmet thing though. I think riding without helmets is pretty stupid.

·
Registered
84 Posts
boybaha said:
I get on her case about the no helmet thing though. I think riding without helmets is pretty stupid.
My friends call darwinism when we see it. Using such language may change her mind ;-)

·
Registered
906 Posts
I am a cycle courier here in London

On anyone day in the city of London there are over 1200 couriers on the streets

any numbers for nyc?

·
jive turkey
2,343 Posts
3000 in Manhattan...400+ courier companies in NYC

Like any alternative lifestyle, there many drawbacks. New York City is the harshest of messenger forums with the highest bicycle messenger mortality rate. Messengers garner little respect from clients, pedestrians or drivers, and there is little hope for benefits or raises as there is no proverbial ladder to climb.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts