SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading sort of southwest brings us into the hood known as Park Slope. It goes from 15th St to Flatbush Ave between 4th/9th Aves (Prospect Pk W). This hood is mostly residential, though there are some commercial blocks. It was first settled by the Carnesie Inidans who had lived here until the Dutch came around the 1600's. They gave its name for being on the western slope of the park. In 1776, it became the site of where the Battle of Brooklyn took place at Battle Pass. In 1814, its region was linked by having ferry service at the Brooklyn Terminal that gave the first connections with Manhattan. As a result, Park Slope became a major business center. In the 1850's, Edwin Clarke Litchfeild bought the farmlands to allow for developement for other realtors as well as the city Brooklyn when the absobed Park Slope in the 1860's. In 1868, Fredrick Law Omstead and Calvert Vaux laid out Prospect Pk as Brooklyn's major park. The 1870's brought horse-drawn rail carts along with a number of rich NYers. In 1879, the Brooklyn Atlantics had played their home games at Washington Pk until it was burned down in 1889. The construction of the Brooklyn Br in 1883, lead to the construction of brownstones, brick houses, and Victorian mansions. A number of Italian/Irish immigrants began to live in the South Slope due to the riches of the North Slope. In 1889, the Brooklyn Union Elevated RR traveled on an el that would go along 5th Ave. In 1892, President Grover Cleveland had unveiled Grand Army Plaza as a monument to the Civil War. In 1916, the subway was being built along 4th Ave, which later on made the 5th Ave El obsolete. In 1939, Robert Moses decided to have the Bandshell built to allow for concerts to be held there. Unfortnately, the 1950's wasn't to kind to Park Slope as many rich and middle class families left for the suburbs. Those who stayed were mostly lesbians and immigrants. The 1960's/1970's lead for gentrification to help it revitalize. In 1960, a plane had hit the area, which lead to the demolition of the area that was affected. In the 1990's a number of hippsters and yuppies began to move to Park Slope b/c of the good deals that they good get and for being off the subway. In recent years, it has recovered. Park Slope has been known for a lot of celebrities. Most of the area has been landmarked as the Park Slope Hist Dist. You can get here by taking the subway to Pacific St-4th Ave (D, M, N, R), Union St-4th Ave (M, R), 9th St-4th Ave (F, M, R), 7th Ave-Park Slope (F), 15th St-Park Slope (F), Grand Army Plaza (2, 3), and Bergen St-Flatbush Ave (2, 3). Here is what you will find in Park Slope.

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is said that Park Slope is Brooklyn's most prestigous neighborhood.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great pix of my 'hood! I live across the street from the red school. Not only is Park Slope obviously beautiful, the atmosphere make sit my favorite place to live in NYC.
Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
119 Posts
zuzu petals??

take a look at that flower shop's name, it's close to the top.

Zuzu's Petals.....

The Adventure's of Ford Fairlaine anyone??
Gilbert Godfreid's fictional daughter. Shitty movie but thought it was an intertesting catch.

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jaybird199 said:
Great pix of my 'hood! I live across the street from the red school. Not only is Park Slope obviously beautiful, the atmosphere make sit my favorite place to live in NYC.
Thanks for sharing!
I have been in Park Slope a few times recently, and it can almost feel like its own city or at least a town.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts