Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
10,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, that was a thoroughly depressing read ...

"Instead, our leaders seem hopelessly invested in importing a race of supermen for the supercity, living high above the clouds. Jetting about the world so swiftly and silently, they are barely visible. A city of glass houses where no one’s ever home. A city of tourists. An empty city."

https://harpers.org/archive/2018/07/the-death-of-new-york-city-gentrification/

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Fascinating and even quite upsetting article in how honest and true it is, I guess it really hits home because well its not that unique to new york, most of the worlds cities are suffering from many of those problems to some extent
Predatory monoculture, chains, uncomfortably high rents,and increasingly insular and anti urban societies, nowhere in the world escapes it unfortunately due to intense globalisation , yet everyone thinks their own city is the worst hit by it..if it only that were the case :(

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I read the whole article. Interesting but very dark. Is it something that could be done to prevent or it's just the way things will become and we should get used?
Of course theres lots that could be done but it takes effort and much of it is a product of the lifestyle we enjoy and are used to..everyone loves independent businesses in their local area but when it comes down to it most people choose the chain because it offers a quicker..cheaper..more well known alternative to products you like, hence their popularity and replacement of smaller businesses, just one example, and its a bit subjective too whether things such as that are that bad

·
Politically Incorrect
1,618 Posts
It's sad what NYC has become but here, in San Francisco, we're on the same boat. 90% of the article could be about SF just by exchanging names and places. Same sh*t.

This is the future of all major cities. Industry and cultural changes indicate that this won't reverse. I don't know if we should be fighting for a city of equal opportunities where our success or failure is on our own hands and rent can still be paid by working 9 to 5 or stop resisting and acknowledge that times have changed and city living for the mid and working classes is now a thing from the past.

·
ONE WORLD
9,172 Posts
Great article, spot on on so many things, and that I see happening in all the most popular cities. I love the bit about how he addresses the apologists, on how you could wax lyrical into the vaults of history and memory about a Gap or Starbucks, sure, but a bank branch for Chrissakes? There's only so much you could poeticise about in essence on a carpet and a cash machine. Or yes, that could be the next student Dostoevsky stumbling drunk down those Chelsea steps, but also a 5K-a-month-in-rent student Dostoevsky.

·
Registered
16,462 Posts
It's sad what NYC has become but here, in San Francisco, we're on the same boat. 90% of the article could be about SF just by exchanging names and places. Same sh*t.

This is the future of all major cities. Industry and cultural changes indicate that this won't reverse. I don't know if we should be fighting for a city of equal opportunities where our success or failure is on our own hands and rent can still be paid by working 9 to 5 or stop resisting and acknowledge that times have changed and city living for the mid and working classes is now a thing from the past.
I very much doubt that this can not be reversed or will stay forever. Why? Because the current trend already nurtures the downfall of the system. The end point of this development will be cities void of their most basic functions, not even empty open air museums, which will make them unattractive or at least less attractive to those with too much money and they are the only ones at that point who could afford those places. The immediate consequence will be a bursting of the real estate bubble and collapsing prices, down to a point where people with real world salaries might be able to afford them. If they still want to live in such places is the question. In the worst case the inner cities could collapse into ghost towns. Their central location in the transportation networks would suggest however that they could regain or retain actual uses.

Good urban planning can mitigate those destructive forces. Removing substantial chunks of the real estate market from the free market, dedicating them to actually affordable housing for example can substantiall dampen those effects. I think Vienna is evidence that this can work, even if it won't prevent the destructive speculative price spiral altogether.

·
Registered
366 Posts
There's only one solution to the decline of modern cities and that is, build new cities. It's crazy that at this, perhaps the greatest expansion in human population for thousands of years, we are seeing one of the smallest rates of new city foundations. When the Roman empire was booming they founded cities left right and centre, so did the Persians, so did the Chinese Dynasties, so did the Aztecs. And yet Western Civilisation in the 21st century seems to be forever tied to the same 200 year old, if not 2000 year old, cities. Why?

·
Registered
16,462 Posts
^^ Interesting. So population prediction are foreseeing a leveling off in global populiation growth. What factors are causing that? Is it some hard factors like resource limitation and in the worst case starvation etc or a global rise in education, especially in Asia?

Regarding founding new cities, well, the spliff fairy said it all. The West isn't growing all that much, nothing what the existing cities could not cope with.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
my only wish was that Trump could be governor of the state, or mayor of the city so it could see some real change. this guy is going to be better than Reagan.
How would the kind of ******* anti public anti governement anti public transport anti tax kind of politics favorising the ultra rich be benificial for New York???
A city in need of more fundings for it's public transport, governement investments in infrastructure en better housing with governement planning. A city with a large population who barely can afford the maffiosi American private healthcare.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.