Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading south brings us into the hood known as Jamaica Ctr. It goes from Liberty to Hillside Aves (NY 25) between 184th St and the Van Wyck Expwy (I-678). It was first settled by the Canarsee Indians until the Dutch came in 1656 and called the area Rustdorp. However it wasn't long until the English took over New Netherlands and renamed this area Jamaica for the nearby bay that the Jameco Indians called it. In 1776, Jamaica became a major trading post for Queens, and it became a town especially for its commerce. In 1805, Rufus King had his farm here, and lived in Jamaica until he died in 1827. Around 1834, the Brooklyn & Jamaica RR was made to allow for transportation between here and Brooklyn until the LIRR modified and built the present day tracks in 1913, which made it a hub for every line except for the Pt Washington Branch, which leaves at Woodside. In 1898, Jamaica became the seat of many of courthouses for Queens until they moved to Kew Gardens, though some have stayed here. The Jamaica Ave Els ran along Jamaica Ave until they were finally demolished in 1977 to create a line that would run underground after all the complains from residents from the noise they were making. In 2006, the JFK Airtrian was completed to allow for a fast connection to JFK Airport. The place today is one of Queens most prestigous neighborhoods with shops along Jamaica Ave, which starts all the way in Cypress Hills, Brooklyn, though it doesn't end here. Transportation isn't a problem for those commuting to Manhattan or to Nassau or Suffolk Counties. The reason for why it is called Jamaica Ctr was to distinguish it after the split and b/c this part refers to Jamaica proper. You can get here by taking the subway to Stuphin Blvd (F), Parsons Blvd (F), 169th St (F), Jamaica-179th St (F), Stuphin Blvd-Archer Ave (E, J, Z), and Jamaica Ctr-Parsons/Archer (E, J, Z) as well as taking all lines (except for the Pt Washington Branch) of the LIRR to the Jamaica Station. Here is what you will find in Jamaica Ctr.

More to come...

·
Proud Torontonian
1,421 Posts
While it's anything but alive, it's nowhere near as gritty as I figured it might be.

·
exiled New Yorker
204 Posts
See now thats home to me, 175th street. The Regency Catering building got torn down a while back, theres something huge there now, that was on the corner of 175th and Jamaica ave. A lot of that stuff is very new, the neighborhood has gotten much better than it was in the 80's and early 90's. Back then it was kinda scary.

·
exiled New Yorker
204 Posts
Talb has mentioned in the past that he doesn't have a camera. In my case, I now live 3000 miles away, and in a very isolated location, so I won't be taking pictures of Queens anytime soon.

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
For those who don't know, Jamaica is known as the Times Sq of Queens mainly b/c this is the borough's main commercial area. Just b/c a lot of them don't have people doesn't mean that it's not alive. Jamaica Ave has a lot of people on it. There may have been crime here in the 60's and 70's, but it recovered and crime can occur anywhere. Don't let the shooting of Sean Bell give a bad image of Jamaica, b/c crime actually low there these days. I used to remember going through here a lot when I was comming home from Adelphi to get the Van Wyck Expwy, though I later on switched over to Hillside Ave b/c it was wider than Jamaica Ave. If it wasn't alive then it wouldn't have four subway lines, almost every line of the LIRR, and half of the buses in Queens with a few from Nassau County. BTW, that shot of the library happens to be the Central Branch of the Queens Public Library (Brooklyn's is in Prospect Hts by Grand Army Plaza). On a sidenote, if you don't like my threads, then don't click on them b/c nobody is forcing you to do so. Here is the rest of Jamaica Ctr for those who do want to continue looking.

·
exiled New Yorker
204 Posts
Once again thanks, I appreciate the effort you put getting these threads together. I like the pics of the airtrain, I only got to ride it once.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts