Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading south brings us into the hood known as Kew Gardens Hills. It goes from Union Tpk to Reeves Ave with Ceder Grove Cemetery between Kissena Blvd with Parsons Ave and the GCP. This hood is mostly residential. It was first settled in 1628 by the Dutch who called it Salt Marsh Valley. In the 1700's, William Furman had his farm and called it Willow Glen to describe the area around his property. In 1820, his farm was sold to Timothy Jackson who expanded the farm over to the neighborhing Burtis Farm, which was known for having drinking water that was healthy at the time. As it was called Queens Valley, it did keep a farmland setting until transportation called for developement in the late 1800's. The section known as Head of Vleigh became developed very heavily after the IND subway was made for Hillside Ave in 1936. In 1937, Queens College was founded and built its campus near the LIE (I-495). The name Kew Gardens Hills came when Abraham Wolosoff decided to built a number of homes and liked the name Kew Gardens, which he used in the name. The postwar era brought a number of immigrants from Israel, and gave it the highest population for Israelies in NYC, not to be confused with the Jewish population. Irish and Italian immigrants came from The Bronx and Brooklyn to take advantage of the rural settings that were here as well as pray in the Queens of Peace Church, which was built in 1939. One can enjoy what it is like to have Israeli food by going over to the service road that on Main St between 68th Dr and the Mt Hebron Cemetery. You can get here by taking the Q20A, Q20B, Q25, Q34, Q44, Q46, Q65A, and Q74 buses. Here is what you will find in Kew Gardens Hills.

































































































































 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Top