SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No city in the nation has more meaningful relationships with so many other US cities as New York does. Based on that concept, I've compiled what I see is the Big Apple's relationship with the following group of cities.

Please share feedback on the following and/or add other cities and comments of your own.

BOSTON: intelligentsia, Yanks, Sox, the curse, and two varieties of clam chowder

BUFFALO:: in-state (yawn)

PHILADELPHIA: closest big city outside metro NYC to NYC and the only other super-sized northeastern city; perhaps more than any other US city, this one has been held back (or preceived itself to be held back) by its proximity to NYC. Some similiarity to the NYC-Boston relationship

WASHINGTON: Pure American power (political in one; all the rest in the other)

CHICAGO: joined by the Erie Canal unbilical cord, an alliance between the city in the east and the one in the Midwest it fostered and nurtured. NYC placed its bets on Chicago, but cooperation turned to competition (i.e. the skyscraper race). These two, like no other, feel like big cities: hustling, bustling, cosmpolitan cities, loaded with skyscrapers and density, constantly reinvently themselves.

LOS ANGELES: Broadway and Hollywood, Atlantic and Pacific, Letterman and Leno, the ying and yang of America: celbrity, media, cutting edge and innovative; see and be seen. By the initials: it's NY and LA!
Dodgers!

SAN FRANCISCO: no two cities in America can call themselves "The City" as these two; none match their sophistication or savoir faire. Perhaps the most evocative of US cities, no cities give the sense of arrival, of being there. Manhattan and San Francisco may be the most set apart cities in America from their own surroundings, worlds unto to their own that best cultivate their unique atmosphere.
Giants!

Miami: money, sunbirds, tourists, lox and bagels have been filtering their way down from NY to South Florida for a century

New Orleans: the trail of jazz starts in the Big Easy and ends up in the Big Apple, with stops in Memphis, St. Louis, and Chicago along the way

Dallas: no southwestern city looks to the northeast like Big D; nice fashion link to NYC

Las Vegas: on stage, a big, big battle for the live entertainment dollar

Cleveland: kind of a weak link, but Cleveland has taken advantage of its midway location between NY and Chgo. Terminal Tower was once the tallest outside of Manhattan.

·
jive turkey
2,343 Posts
Dallas: no southwestern city looks to the northeast like Big D; nice fashion link to NYC
Word...

the trail of jazz starts in the Big Easy
We also have strong ties through Jazz...in years past anyhow

During the 1920s and 1930s, Dallas was known as "one of the hottest cities in the South." That is, in terms of the music that was playing. Deep Ellum, located just east of downtown, became "the" place to hear the great blues and jazz musicians of the time. Such notable artists as Blind Lemon Jefferson, Huddie "Leadbelly" Ledbetter, Texas Bill Day, Lonnie Johnson, Little Hat Jones, Emma Wright, Bessie Smith, Ma Rainey, and Benny Moten were regular entertainers in the area. According to pianist Sam Price, Deep Ellum was "a breeding ground, a place where musicians started out, and when they were good enough they left, went on to Kansas City and New York. In Deep Ellum there were more blues singers than just about anywhere else."

·
Registered
247 Posts
Connecticut is the country.

In reality it is soo freakin suburban I feel so bad for my cousins that have to live there. Sprawl to a ridiculous degree, thankfully the downtowns of small cities and towns are still in tact. One day I'll do a photo-tour of my cousins town, Derby CT. Historic downtown with old, beautiful, but crumbling buildings, and atop the hills, suburban housing that is new, and some that dates back to teh 60s. It sucks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
edsg25 said:
BUFFALO:: in-state (yawn)
:hahaha: Poor upstate... gets no respect...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts