SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can never understand why so many New Yorkers have such a condenscending view of tourists who like to stay in or hang out in Times Square. My family is from NY and I have been all over the city and I always stay in Times Square and spend plenty of time there. What many visitors love about NY is the hustle and bustle and big-city feel that you don't get in smaller places. With that in mind, its only logical that they would gravitate towards the most exciting and energetic part of the city. In many ways, Times Square is the epitome of what I love about NYC.

Before you guys start jumping on me, I think anybody who would visit NYC and eat at Applebees, Red Lobster, or TGI Fridays is an idiot. This is not what I am talking about in this post.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I don't see any attitude toward tourist in my experience. Now... Since I have lived in the south as well... I can tell you a little about the relation between north and south, as well as east and west.

Some of it is idealistic as well as political. I don't see much of it on street level but bottom line is that other places dont like NYers coming to their towns. So tell me... Why should NYers be as welcoming of tourist coming here? Some suburbish people don't like our liberalism, some don't like our dress, our walk, our driving, or our tell it like it is nature.

As for me, I treat everyone equally and respect everyone as such. But living in central florida, I was tired of the stigma of how NYers or these liberal goons were ruining their precious suburb or town or tiny city. The same goes on everywhere else in the country.

In the end... Conservative don't like liberals, bottom line. And ny is a liberal city. You do the math...

And if this isn't the issue your talking about, then its just probably the clash of culture. They are not used to the raw , "NY way" and think its an attack on them personally when it is not.

That's my 2 cents worth...

·
Registered
583 Posts
lol... anyway, everyone hates tourist in their cities cause they suck at everything and they get in our way. Just ask floridians how they feel about tourist at disney!

but see, I'm a nice guy! So there...

·
Registered
6 Posts
They stop in the middle of the sidewalk, dont walk when there are no cars coming, and constantly walk slow. Tourists just basically get in the way. Not all, but a lot do. I dont blame them though, I was a tourist to NY once and its so exciting you just dont think about the people you are bothering.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I understand tourist they come to NY to check stuff out and thats cool but what I hate is walking behind a tourist they stop at the light and wait people crash into them from behind.
No offense to anyone but the bridge and tunnel crowd get me aggreavated.They come from all aroud the metro area and call themselves real new yokers they pretend to be cool and hang out in Soho,They think all new yorkers are pushy and agressive on the street and they act it.But really we just have our own way of walking and its not like in a rush unless u work on wall street.lol

·
Lurker
1,816 Posts
Tourists ask a lot of seemingly dumb questions, stop in the middle of the street to sightsee, open their fucking cab doors opposite of the curb so i can slam into them on my bike, watch in awe as i skate down the sidewalk (like there are no skateboarders outside the city), block the very same sidewalk in groups of 10+, pet horse cops and most of all, make me actually feel above them as a native New Yorker.

·
Lurker
1,816 Posts
By the way, Times Square blows for the most part. There's no reason to ever be there, other than to pass through in need to get from A to B.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
lol... anyway, everyone hates tourist in their cities cause they suck at everything and they get in our way. Just ask floridians how they feel about tourist at disney!

but see, I'm a nice guy! So there...
Agreed lol they help the economy but yet are a pain in the ass its the same there as here when it comes to tourists.

·
Registered
583 Posts
NewYorkMantle said:
By the way, Times Square blows for the most part. There's no reason to ever be there, other than to pass through in need to get from A to B.
You know, I kinda always felt that way myself. I mean its nice to see and all... but once I'm there, all the lights and televisions can't help me from being a lil bored after I walk around for a bit.

I guess its cool to go there if u have a true need. Need being your going to the olive garden, a comedy club, visiting the wax museum, or are interested in internet cafes or video games. Basically these are all things that can be done elsewhere. Well, except for the wax museum and I heard that its expensive and a "visit only once" type of thing.

·
Super Moderator
11,285 Posts
^meh, those wax museums are all the same.
I always try to think that I shouldn't mistreat tourists, for I am a tourists when I visit other cities, but then again, I try not to act like a tourist, I don't stop in the middle of the street, I don't carry thousand maps, I don't get lost in the city... Honestly, how can you get lost in Manhattan? You need 5 minutes to adjust yourself, and you're set to go!
That's why in the winter, the Rockefeller center is a forbidden area, while Times Square is a DMZ throughout the year for me.
hmm, another thing I just remembered, the tourists that come off the cruise ships on the west side piers! They're dumped all of a sudden on the streets of midtown, and it's hell.

·
Member, Winifred Fan Club
2,973 Posts
I don't mind tourists. I'm a tourist all the time, even in my own hometown. Lots of things to see. I also like to help them out by answering their questions.

But I never go to Times Square. I hate having to walk on the street just so I can get around all the people making like snails on the sidewalk. Same with Rockefeller Center in winter. But I don't know if it's tourists I don't like or just gigantic crowds. Like I never go to Macy's on 34th street during Christmas time (unless it's a transit strike in which case it's the best place ever to shop).

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
I tend to find it annoying when tourists ask how to get a street or avenue that has a number on it when they are walking in midtown and they can just find that out by looking at the signs that are by them.

·
metrocard millionaire
1,257 Posts
I've worked and gone to school in times square and I hated every minute of it. people make all these assumptions about people being so rude here but the minute they get here some of these tourists have the rudest attitudes i've ever encountered.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some of you may think tourists are annoying but tourism is a huge part of NYC's economy. For example, aren't a large amount of Broadway tickets purchased by tourists?

I remember after 9/11 when commercials were being aired nationwide imploring people to visit the city. The commercial closed with Guiliani saying something like "The New York miracle, be a part of it!" Some of you will probably know what commercial I am talking about.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
yeah I rember and I read in NY magazine that Times Square is back at pre 9/11 tourist population but my favorite thing I saw on the street was this bum who came up to this woman she was holding one of those tour guidebooks and he aksed her very politely for just a dollar the woman screams at the top of her lungs no I dont have any money meanwhile shes paying for a pair of knockoff sunglasses

·
Registered
802 Posts
I know a gay guy who hates tourists simply because they're much more likely to say random insensitive things under their breath when he's walking by. Don't blame him.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts