SkyscraperCity Forum banner
461 - 471 of 471 Posts

·
Registered
25,680 Posts
I am not a big fan of the Barcode project in Oslo and at the same time understand the dissapointment in Nyhamnen project. The early sketches of this project were more promissing and then it ended up being a bland suburban type of development. Maybe there is hope for some interesting development projects in the nearby areas?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I like the barcode. Not sure if history will be kind but for now it looks OK I think. Nyhamnen I completely agree with you. So far its a major disappointment. Suburb prime location. I really hope that when they start to move towards the water that we will see something better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The big problem in Malmö that I see is that they are building more focused in quantity than quality.

I also get a bit confused in the city big master plan and density. You can find in Hyllie much more interesting buildings than Malmö core area.

just imagine Hyllie skyline and density where Nyhamnen is.

the big issue I also notice in this city is the lack of leisure or outstanding cultural attractions that make people go out and explore. it really feels boring and a ghost town if you walk away of triangeln and main commercial street.

Malmö it’s experiencing a huge growth but it’s not adapting to the new citizens. We still have a small town mentality and we need to think BIG.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The big problem in Malmö that I see is that they are building more focused in quantity than quality.

I also get a bit confused in the city big master plan and density. You can find in Hyllie much more interesting buildings than Malmö core area.

just imagine Hyllie skyline and density where Nyhamnen is.

the big issue I also notice in this city is the lack of leisure or outstanding cultural attractions that make people go out and explore. it really feels boring and a ghost town if you walk away of triangeln and main commercial street.

Malmö it’s experiencing a huge growth but it’s not adapting to the new citizens. We still have a small town mentality and we need to think BIG.
Is this criticism of the municipal city planners, the construction companies, the architectural firms, or of the politicians having the final word? There are many wills at play when building a city and each want to maximize different things. I don't like all of the final results either, but it's hard to know whether there are realistic alternatives with more ambition, or if the alternative simply is nothing being built at all.

·
Staring at the World
620 Posts
Is this criticism of the municipal city planners, the construction companies, the architectural firms, or of the politicians having the final word? There are many wills at play when building a city and each want to maximize different things. I don't like all of the final results either, but it's hard to know whether there are realistic alternatives with more ambition, or if the alternative simply is nothing being built at all.
Hmm... it must be definitely municipal city planners/ politicians who have power to give final word. I mean, they are the ones who give green light on what will be built at the end. If construction companies had power and the last word, they would build so many cloned cheap rectangular boxes side by side as much as possible for more profit, like they do in China and what they did in East Bloc in general.
I have hard time to believe that there is no alternative to build something better, I call that bullshit. Malmö is booming, getting popular and the purchase power of people are really high. especially from danish side. The proof is being that nearly all new residential apartments are getting sold out long before the end of construction. People have money and Malmö definitely have too. I don't see any reason to build those monsters that look ridiculously cheap and plain. Sweden is not a Soviet Union in its end of its era with dead economy. There must be another reason why Malmö are getting these monsters built in downtown of it.

I wonder if its all political? What if it maybe has to do with which political parties/bloc that reign in Malmö? I discovered that a left political party close to communists in it's ideology that are called "Swedish Social Democratic Party" are the one who currently rule Malmö. Communists/leftists see architecture from purely functional stand point. They don't care about heritage to the place or beautiful architecture that brings attraction and inspiration to its citizens and visitors. I believe its no coincidence why we have these awful cheap commie looking projects from 70s popping out like these ones in downtown of Malmö...:

Malmö deserve similar projects or better to be built on those places we see in the pictures above instead of those hideous commie looking monsters. For example like this project that will be built in the outskirts of Lund(which is three time smaller city both in size and economy than its big sister Malmö):

After doing some research I found out that "Swedish Moderate Party" together with other parties in the "right" paradigm hold currently power in City of Lund today. All this fortified my theory that its all have to do with politics and ideology witch is sad.

PS: I just want you all to know that I don't have any political inclination to any political party/ side, I could care less about that left/right paradigm. But it cant be a coincidence? Right? I know it is all "first world problem" nonsense compared to what its happening around the world. Its just, my disappointment is huge because I care about Malmö and that I cant forgive them for what they are doing to it. Rant out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hmm... it must be definitely municipal city planners/ politicians who have power to give final word. I mean, they are the ones who give green light on what will be built at the end. If construction companies had power and the last word, they would build so many cloned cheap rectangular boxes side by side as much as possible for more profit, like they do in China and what they did in East Bloc in general.
I have hard time to believe that there is no alternative to build something better, I call that bullshit. Malmö is booming, getting popular and the purchase power of people are really high. especially from danish side. The proof is being that nearly all new residential apartments are getting sold out long before the end of construction. People have money and Malmö definitely have too. I don't see any reason to build those monsters that look ridiculously cheap and plain. Sweden is not a Soviet Union in its end of its era with dead economy. There must be another reason why Malmö are getting these monsters built in downtown of it.

I wonder if its all political? What if it maybe has to do with which political parties/bloc that reign in Malmö? I discovered that a left political party close to communists in it's ideology that are called "Swedish Social Democratic Party" are the one who currently rule Malmö. Communists/leftists see architecture from purely functional stand point. They don't care about heritage to the place or beautiful architecture that brings attraction and inspiration to its citizens and visitors. I believe its no coincidence why we have these awful cheap commie looking projects from 70s popping out like these ones in downtown of Malmö...:

Malmö deserve similar projects or better to be built on those places we see in the pictures above instead of those hideous commie looking monsters. For example like this project that will be built in the outskirts of Lund(which is three time smaller city both in size and economy than its big sister Malmö):

After doing some research I found out that "Swedish Moderate Party" together with other parties in the "right" paradigm hold currently power in City of Lund today. All this fortified my theory that its all have to do with politics and ideology witch is sad.

PS: I just want you all to know that I don't have any political inclination to any political party/ side, I could care less about that left/right paradigm. But it cant be a coincidence? Right? I know it is all "first world problem" nonsense compared to what its happening around the world. Its just, my disappointment is huge because I care about Malmö and that I cant forgive them for what they are doing to it. Rant out.
Wow. Wow!

Speechless.

·
Registered
33 Posts

you are so damn right.

·
Registered
353 Posts
While I'm happy the architects don't get the full blame as usual(those darn architects with their godlike powers!), I don't think one flavour of swedish local politicians or another has a material effect on the level of built architecture either. Sure, you could vote in some populist who demand "traditional" architecture, and we'd get the same boring dead new developments but with expensive bad quality corner towers...to an added cost to buyers.

What we would need is a total overhaul of the planning process - which I think is barely possible in a democratic society. Gradual change is, for good or bad, how things are here. At least we seem to be leaning more towards traditional urbanism than before these days. Hopefully it can continue in that direction.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'd say it has a lot to do with political ambition, rather than ideology. Projects are given more resources when there's a strong political will to achieve something good; there's a reason high-profile developments do tend to turn out better architecturally. Projects like Norra Djurgårdsstaden in Stockholm, Brunnshög in Lund and even Västra Hamnen back in the days of Bo01, are all examples of this. Size also plays a role, larger developments tend to get more political attention and in turn things like architectural policies and guidelines, that definitely make a difference if followed up correctly.

Another factor is of course the property developers, mainly when it comes to large projects like entire neighbourhoods that are developed by one actor. Once again, political ambition and planning policies are crucial, politicians have to dare make counterclaims and not give in too much to the developer's wishes. The municipalities wield all the power and should reasonably be tough negotiators. There are no doubt more factors involved, but ambition is key. Politicians do have the power to influence this; not down to a specific architectural style, but certainly enough to ensure good quality in our urban environments. Malmö unfortunately seems to be going in the opposite direction, while the quality of new urban developments is getting better and better in Sweden overall.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Malmö seems to be immerse into the quantity rather than quality direction. But market looks like is not complaining. sqm price is absurdly growing now that I compare between a property we bought 2 years ago and what can you buy in the same area with same spec.

461 - 471 of 471 Posts