SkyscraperCity banner

8921 - 8936 of 8936 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Air New Zealand's Covid 19 Level 2 route structure...

It would be of no surprise to anyone here on this thread that services to Taupo, Timaru and Hokitika are still suspended for now...Kerikeri stayed but then a certain NZ First list MP of very senior rank lives nearby...

Other than that, it's all hub and spoke to the nearest of the three main centres. (Queenstown the exception and once again the holder of the longest domestic route.)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Always surprises me that Whangarei-Auckland is a route.
Is that typically the shortest in the country?
I would say the Palmy-Wellington route could be the shortest. I've always wondered why they have that route. I wouldn't be surprised if they scrap it now because of the plague.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Runway Pavement Works At Auckland Airport To Get Underway

Finally Auckland Airport are doing something posiitve with the window they have...

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Does anyone know the impacts of the withdrawal of ATC services to about half the country's airports? Does it in practicality actually affect much?

Particularly IVC with the a320

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Air NZ projects loss, says job cuts necessary
Air New Zealand says it has not yet drawn down on the $900 million loan that the Government has given it as it grapples with a huge loss in customers due to Covid-19.
The airline says cost cuts including a 30 per cent reduction in its labour force — or 4000 staff — will drive annual savings of $350m to $400m.
Chief financial officer Jeff McDowall said the company's short-term liquidity as of Monday was $640m, which does not include the government loan.
As well as redundancies, the company was cutting its executive team by 30 per cent, and deferring or cancelling almost $700m in expected capital expenditure, including deferring the planned delivery of Airbus A321 Neo aircraft.

more:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Looking at AirNZs July booking options, looks like the IVC-AKL route using the a320 is back. And as usual, significantly cheaper than transit Chch flights on the same day.

I think it will lead to delays in bad weather with the ATC changes. They may not return the 320 to IVC now.
I did find this from the other day

"An Airways New Zealand spokeswoman said Air New Zealand had confirmed it could continue to operate all aircraft including the A320 into Invercargill Airport without the current air traffic control service.

Air New Zealand, when asked if it planned to resume its Auckland-Invercargill jet service at any time, did not respond to questions by deadline on Wednesday."

·
Registered
885 Posts
No point in keeping them if there is no use for them...

Hoping the B777-200 fleet would retire with dignity...But no.
The B777-300 fleet is still newish but those ones leased in for the B787-9 RR crisis just not needed anymore.

Also brings up the question: Do we really need Greg Foran anymore? IMHO he is $2 million overpaid.
No point in having an expensive CEO for what is now little more than an airline looking like NAC/TEAL in 1965?

Invercargill Airport's Facebook page has been heating up with local Airways staff trolling and attacking anyone even mentioning "we can get by without the tower"... A pointless argument they use is "no tower, no AKL service".
The A320 doesn't need the tower and weather reports can be handled from ZQN and or DUD. AKL direct services are still slated for return of service in July and Air NZ are already taking bookings through to Xmas week.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Air NZ is not going to look like that forever, someone has to be in the job who can regrow the airline, if Greg isn't that guy then remove him but whoever you find that would be able to do the job isn't going to come cheap.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Auckland flights to resume to Invercargill

Air New Zealand’s direct A320 jet service between Auckland and Invercargill will resume on July 6.
The airline has today released its domestic schedule for July and August with the airline to operate four return jet services a week on its Auckland-Invercargill route.
The airline resumed flights between Christchurch and Invercargill at the start of Alert Level 2 with that route operated by its 68-seat turboprop aircraft.

Full story here:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Plan is to hub crew in the four main centres for now. This allows for easier Covid monitoring.
Hey at least Invercargill gets to see the A320 in daylight hours.

8921 - 8936 of 8936 Posts