SkyscraperCity banner

2701 - 2720 of 2805 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
^^
The results are still intended to be released at some point, with the first round being later this year I believe. How reliable the results will be is another issue entirely, though :dunno:. I even heard talk of them moving the next census forward to an earlier date to make up for last year’s mess.
I would doubt this government will allow the next census to be brought forward a year... Doing so would be admission that the census was botched which won't look good for the government. Although everyone knows it was a complete **** up, Labour will be doing everything to ensure that the resulting political storm isn't served up to Labour by the opposition on a gold lined plate.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I heard (cant remember which Minister) categorically state the next Census will NOT be moved forward.

They are confident with the accuracy of the census figures which have been supplemented by data from other Departments / Ministries

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I think 5 Million is going to be a bit further off... looks like the estimated counts have been off by over 150K

Today:
The census found that New Zealand’s census usually resident population count in March 2018 was 4,699,755
https://www.stats.govt.nz/news/regions-around-auckland-lead-population-growth

August 2018
The estimated resident population of New Zealand reached 4,885,300 at 30 June 2018, Stats NZ said today.
https://www.stats.govt.nz/news/migration-drives-high-population-growth

On the plus side, it will give the GDP per capita figures a nice little lift..

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
https://www.stats.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/2018-Census-population-and-dwelling-counts/Download-data/2018-census-population-and-dwelling-counts.xlsx

Some cities/districts have done phenomenally well. Whangarei from 77k to 91k in 5 years. Rotorua had reversed it's decline and added 5k people.

At the other end, we have Invercargill "only" adding +2500, or 4.9%

and Dunedin is the loser for urban area growth this round with only +2200, or 1.7%

You need to look at table 4 (usually resident population) rather than table 3 (census night count). Dunedin’s population grew 5% between 2013 and 2018 or an extra 6006.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
They aren't really, though.

Portuguese or Greek wages are shocking. NZ's aren't the highest, but certainly aren't shocking.
Portugal and Greece are also pretty cheap countries to live in, i'd say food and property prices are a lot higher in NZ.

·
Registered
594 Posts
There seems to be some angst over the high and low population figures. I might be the same problem we see in Australia.

When census forms are counted they give you a low figure. The census staff go around knocking on (some) doors and maybe checking other data as well and come up with a higher figure which becomes the official census figure. The difference between the two is called the "undercount", which might be 3% or 4%. In Australia it is lower in older inner city areas and higher in mining and frontier areas. The low figure is used for collecting statistics, financial, religion etc, which can't be obtained from the high figure.

The staff of the Census bureau don't even seem to realize the problem here and if you try to ask them you will just get a gobbledygook answer.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
There seems to be some angst over the high and low population figures. I might be the same problem we see in Australia.

When census forms are counted they give you a low figure. The census staff go around knocking on (some) doors and maybe checking other data as well and come up with a higher figure which becomes the official census figure. The difference between the two is called the "undercount", which might be 3% or 4%. In Australia it is lower in older inner city areas and higher in mining and frontier areas. The low figure is used for collecting statistics, financial, religion etc, which can't be obtained from the high figure.

The staff of the Census bureau don't even seem to realize the problem here and if you try to ask them you will just get a gobbledygook answer.

Not really angst - more definition. The census night count includes all people in a location whether residents or those visiting from overseas or elsewhere in NZ. It also excludes residents of the location who are elsewhere on census night. The usually resident count is therefore a better indication of population change. Using Dunedin as an example the 2013 census night count included a visiting cruise ship, which inflated the count that census and makes the change in 2018 look less than was the case. Dunedin, however, also has an undercount due to a high number of tertiary students in the city who identify another location as their usual place of residence. This means that the actual resident population is probably somewhere between the two census counts. Statistics NZ factor this aspect into their sub national population estimates.

2701 - 2720 of 2805 Posts