SkyscraperCity banner

2721 - 2740 of 2805 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
They aren't really, though.

Portuguese or Greek wages are shocking. NZ's aren't the highest, but certainly aren't shocking.
Actual wages as a standalone statistic are pretty irrelevant really... it's the purchasing power of those wages that counts.

There are many countries in the world that have much much lower wages than NZ... but you can also eat exceptionally cheaply too.... China for instance.

The better more useful metric to compare countries with would be "Median Household Income in a given currency weighted for Purchasing Price Parity"

This is because many stats use Average rather than Median... The Average can be readily skewed by people that earn outrageous amounts... whereas the Median is more considered the "typical" wage.

I would also pick Household rather than Individuals since for the most part, people tend to earn, budget, and spend in household units... This isn't always true in the context of say a group of university students flatting, but it true for the large majority of people.

And then you'd weight that by the price of a typical basket of goods and services including food, energy, rent, house prices, recreation activities, textiles and other consumer goods...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Australia's latest population projections have been released by the 'Aust Bureau of Statistics'. Here'
Australian states & territories Population
estimates at end March 2019
increase in population over previous year
percentage change over previous year

New South Wales: 8,071,100
114,100 1.4%

Victoria: 6,566,200
133,500 2.1%

Queensland: 5,076,500
88,100 1.8%

Western Australia: 2,615,800
26,000 1.0%

South Australia: 1,748,600
14,800 0.9%

Tasmania: 533,300
6,400 1.2%

Australian Capital Territory: 425,700
6,900 1.7%

Northern Territory: 245,600
-1,100 -0.4%

AUSTRALIA(whole): 25,287,400
388,800 1.6%

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/3101.0

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Australia's latest population projections have been released by the 'Aust Bureau of Statistics'. Here'
Australian states & territories Population
estimates at end March 2019
increase in population over previous year
percentage change over previous year

New South Wales: 8,071,100
114,100 1.4%

Victoria: 6,566,200
133,500 2.1%

Queensland: 5,076,500
88,100 1.8%

Western Australia: 2,615,800
26,000 1.0%

South Australia: 1,748,600
14,800 0.9%

Tasmania: 533,300
6,400 1.2%

Australian Capital Territory: 425,700
6,900 1.7%

Northern Territory: 245,600
-1,100 -0.4%

AUSTRALIA(whole): 25,287,400
388,800 1.6%

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/3101.0
NZ would have been the 4 largest state if we had Federated with them in 1902, what a damn stupid mistake that was on our behalf.

·
Proud Melbournian
1,703 Posts
Interesting that it was in the Australian constitution but I can’t see it ever happening unless something drastic happened to threaten the security of both countries which could sway public opinion on union

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Interesting that it was in the Australian constitution but I can’t see it ever happening unless something drastic happened to threaten the security of both countries which could sway public opinion on union
It was in the Australian Constitution because New Zealand was supposed to be a state of Australia, there were 2 New Zealand delegates to the constitutional conventions held prior to Federation in 1902.

At the Australasian Federation Conference held in Melbourne from 6 to 14 February 1890, leading politicians from the six Australian colonies and New Zealand affirmed the desirability of ‘an early union under the crown’ and committed themselves to persuading their governments to send delegates to a convention which would ‘consider and report’ on a scheme for a federal constitution. Accordingly, the members of the National Australasian Convention of 1891 which met in Sydney from 2 March to 9 April did not debate whether the colonies should federate but how. They devoted themselves to finding a draft constitution to which they could agree and which they could take back to their legislatures for discussion and endorsement. When the Australasian Federal Convention met, in three sessions, in Adelaide Sydney and Melbourne in 1897 and early 1898, the delegates modified the draft produced in 1891. The Australian Constitution was contained in the Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Bill, which was endorsed by the voters of each Australian colony at referendums in 1898, 1899 and 1900, passed by the British Parliament, and given Royal Assent on 9 July 1900.
Australia was so keen for NZ to join that in 1902 they gave Maori the right to vote, a right that Aborigines didn't get until 1962. One of the reasons NZ didn't join was we were concerned Maori would be treated like Aborigines. The other was the distance from NZ to Australia, not a problem today, and even back then it was quicker to sail from Wellington to Sydney than it was from Darwin and Perth.

·
Registered
742 Posts
The other main reason we didn't join was economically it was felt Australia which was struggling would drag NZ down.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
The other main reason we didn't join was economically it was felt Australia which was struggling would drag NZ down.
That's a new one, I've read a lot about the Australaisan Constituation Conferderation's and why we didn't join but never read about economic issues, do you have some links, I'd like to read more about it.

As a reason that's a little daft nowadays, on average Australia has consistently outperformed NZ.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Year of delivery has finally started for Liebor.

Dole numbers up 16% or 22,000 last 2 years
Relax sanctions and work tests and look what happens.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
^^ I would doubt the idea of a union between AU and NZ would ever get far...

The single biggest reason I don't think New Zealanders would want to be part of Australia is simply because of pride/cultural/patriotic reasons...

Granted that there would be some potential benefits, but there are also lots of risks.

·
Proud Melbournian
1,703 Posts
^^ I would doubt the idea of a union between AU and NZ would ever get far...

The single biggest reason I don't think New Zealanders would want to be part of Australia is simply because of pride/cultural/patriotic reasons...

Granted that there would be some potential benefits, but there are also lots of risks.

Tend to agree

·
Jafa
624 Posts
It would be too risky to join Australia now. In my opinion we should have done it at federation, but what is done is done. Now we would run the risk of being overlooked, much the way Tasmania often is. Not to mention no NZ politician would ever propose that because it will be career suicide.

Imagine the cricket and rugby team though.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I'm in Featherston at the moment and am noticing that the community is swelling with kids and families, there is also many new stores including three upmarket restaurants, a cheese shop, a candy store, a boutique bookstore and so on...

2721 - 2740 of 2805 Posts