SkyscraperCity banner

741 - 760 of 2801 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,526 Posts
Yeah we have rellies there are theyre moving out as theyve had enough of the quakes, smog and all that stuff. Theyre coming up to Auckland :cheers:
Because Auckland is the perfect place to come in New Zealand to escape air pollution. ;)

·
A Christchurch Son
4,529 Posts
Yeah we have rellies there are theyre moving out as theyve had enough of the quakes, smog and all that stuff. Theyre coming up to Auckland :cheers:
Yes - poor old Christchurch - with it collapsing around us,the smog, Dunedin being a limited growth zone, Invercargill to far south people are not interested, Nelson just hanging in there, Queenstown basically owned by Aucklander's and other foreigners from across the seas and virtually everywhere else in the South Island not really worth a mention - we may as well all pack up and move to New Zealands only true city - one of the great Alpha Cities of the world - one of the top 20 cities of the world to live and be seen in - yes Auckland - wonderful, wonderful Auckland which we all know is one of the best, safest and every other positive comment you can think to say about it - place to be :banana::banana::banana:

But before we all pack up and dismiss Christchurch and turn off the lights........ what's all that other stuff you are referring to that makes NZ's battered and possible depopulating 2nd city not worth living in? :cheers:

·
This space for rent.
220 Posts
Yes - poor old Christchurch - with it collapsing around us,the smog, Dunedin being a limited growth zone, Invercargill to far south people are not interested, Nelson just hanging in there, Queenstown basically owned by Aucklander's and other foreigners from across the seas and virtually everywhere else in the South Island not really worth a mention - we may as well all pack up and move to New Zealands only true city - one of the great Alpha Cities of the world - one of the top 20 cities of the world to live and be seen in - yes Auckland - wonderful, wonderful Auckland which we all know is one of the best, safest and every other positive comment you can think to say about it - place to be :banana::banana::banana:

But before we all pack up and dismiss Christchurch and turn off the lights........ what's all that other stuff you are referring to that makes NZ's battered and possible depopulating 2nd city not worth living in? :cheers:
Don't complain Dave, sounds like good news to me. Any relatives of this guy we could well do without! :nuts:

·
A Christchurch Son
4,529 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts

Yes Aucklands comming to get you.First the super city next the north island and finally ..well.I could never understand how Aucklanders always view the rest of New Zealand favourably and yet..

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Why does Christchurch have a reputation for smog? Still using woodburners?
I have never seen any statistics for air pollution in NZ cities, but I imagine Auckland would be the most consistently bad throughout the year, possibly having cleaner air than Christchurch during winter.....?

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Why does Christchurch have a reputation for smog? Still using woodburners?
I have never seen any statistics for air pollution in NZ cities, but I imagine Auckland would be the most consistently bad throughout the year, possibly having cleaner air than Christchurch during winter.....?
Actually, Christchurch has some of the worst air quality in New Zealand during the winter but I'm not entirely sure about Auckland.

As for people leaving Christchurch like rats deserting a sinking ship, I wouldn't be surprised. Nelson has seen a surprisingly large increase in shaken Cantabrians permanently moving here. I'm guessing they'll move out again when the Alpine Fault decides to snap.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Then they will move north to Wellington......and then on to Auckland when Wellington sinks into Port Nicholson.......and then to Whangarei when Auckland erupts :D

·
This space for rent.
220 Posts
Anyone have a source for the numbers leaving? What happened after San Francisco and Kobe? Any stats?

For those that don't live here damage to housing over most of the city is very light. Certain suburbs have been badly hit and there are spots of damage in other areas but its hardly a wasteland with whole hoardes fleeing for safety.

My guess is that many leaving are those that were planning to leave soon anyways. Maybe I'm well wrong here.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Seems like the Christchurch earthquake was much less severe than the Hawkes Bay earthquake, and Napier and Hastings both bounced back pretty well from that ordeal, Napier even built a new suburb on a hill raised by the quake, did it not?
I think Christchurch will be fine.

·
A Christchurch Son
4,529 Posts
As far as I can see there is absolutely no statistics at all to support people leaving or fleeing in their droves. Wherever it started is just typical of the sensationalist type of crappy press NZ and many other second rate news staved organizations create. Anyone would think that the city had been flattened in some sort of mega quake that made Hati look like a tiny jolt!

NZer is right - look at the way Napier and Hastings thrived afterwards, San Francisco, Tokyo and many, many other cities. Rockhampton is still there - people their like in CHC will just get on and rebuild their lives and make the place a stronger and more successful place to live.

Yes Christchurch and the other areas of Canterbury damaged by the earthquake will be fine - in fact they will be brilliant :)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
^^ Actually I second that Davee - I think in some ways, Christchurch will be a much better city in the long run.

Chch does (or did) indeed have some of the worst winter smog in the country and the majority of this is caused by our residents burning fires to keep our houses warm - log burners, coal burners and open fires.

The solution to this according to Ecan (Cant' Regional Council) is to replace all those crappy heating appliances with other heating... Pellet Fires, Approved Log Burners, Heat Pumps and Gas etc.

The good news is that the earthquake has resulted in something like over 15,000 chimneys being destroyed. EQC, ECAN and the CCC have got together and are encouraging people to NOT rebuild their chimneys and instead opt for Heat Pumps... This is a win-win for all really because heat pumps are more energy efficient and less polluting, and they cost EQC less than fixing the chimney.

As for all those older damp houses that had poor insulation... well these too will be rebuilt with more modern (and hopefully not leaky!) designed and insulated buildings.

So in time, Chch will be even better and more attractive place to live.

·
Registered
576 Posts

Hey im just repeating what was said to me. I dont know what other reasons they have for moving but ill ask when i talk to them next.

·
A Christchurch Son
4,529 Posts
Hey im just repeating what was said to me. I dont know what other reasons they have for moving but ill ask when i talk to them next.
It would be interesting to here what they say, unless it's for personal reasons that is.

·
Registered
135 Posts
NZ population grows to 4.39 million

New Zealand's population continues to grow older, with the median age increasing by more than two years in the last decade, figures released by Statistics New Zealand today show.

As of December, the median age was 36.7 years old, an increase of 2.2 years compared a decade ago, Statistics New Zealand said.

Meanwhile, in the year to December, the country's estimated population grew by 1.1 per cent to 4,393,500.

The population rise was due to a natural increase (more births than deaths) of 35,800 and net migration of 10,500.

The increase was less than the average annual increase of 1.3 per cent over the past decade.

- NZPA

·
Go Dons!
171 Posts
The national population clock says we've just hit 4,400,399 as of 6.10pm, Monday 21st of February 2011. You might not be too far off with the 4.5m in 1/2 years prediction.

Everyone got their census forms yet :)?

·
Registered
810 Posts
The national population clock says we've just hit 4,400,399 as of 6.10pm, Monday 21st of February 2011. You might not be too far off with the 4.5m in 1/2 years prediction.

Everyone got their census forms yet :)?
^^
The end of 2021 or 10 years time maximum. based on av 55k
However if you have a couple of decent years of 70k plus like we did 2003 - 2006
It will be a lot sooner

If tourisim and overseas students continues to grow. 2020s will have an NZ feeling a lot more crowded in some places than today

Imagine say by 2028 New Zealand with 5.5 million residents and 5 -6million
Tourist and short term students per annum.
A long way away from the old jokes of 3,000,00 people and 60 million sheep of 20 years ago

741 - 760 of 2801 Posts