SkyscraperCity banner

How do you sing O Canada? Comment chantez vous l'Ô Canada?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
CSH
22,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people, I am not canadian, I am from Costa Rica but I visited Canada three years ago and I went to some activities where the canadian anthem was sang and something I noticed is how sometimes it changes: First part in english, then french, then english.... but sometimes it was first french, then english and then french.... it also could be only english or only french :wtf:

I open this poll here and I show a video of how I would it to be. I would like the whole anthem first in french and then the whole anthem in englis... all together

I know it is just a song, but the national anthem is supposed to be "the top" song in a country wich makes me think there has to be a bit or order about it.

Now, tell us, how do you sing your national anthem?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
There's complete French lyrics (the original) and complete English lyrics. But instead of signing it twice to please the whole nation, it is split between the two.

I personally know it in both languages. IMO the French lyrics are better.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
At school they played a version in Ojibwe sometimes. It's a mouthful.

The French version sounds better, as it is the original. It fits better.

·
=)
2,461 Posts
J'aime français et anglais mais je ne comprende pas français, alors, je chante anglais.

so many français and anglais in one sentence T_T

·
The Tropics of Canada
5,065 Posts
Being from Western Canada, you hear it in complete English about 90% of the time, as French is not used very often in this part of Canada.

·
....kay?
550 Posts
I can sing it in both. The thing is that sometimes I'll get it mixed up and all of sudden start singing it in French... It just flows better than "O Canada, Our home and native land... clunk clunk clunk"

·
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґ&#4
5,767 Posts
I don't sing the anthem.

However, I'm most used to the half English, half French version they used to play at my school.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I prefer just the fanfare being played ... the lyrics are not essential in my opinion. And I really don't like the half-English-half-French way of singing it.

·
38,896 Posts
I can't sing, so I sing along in my head, but in English. I'd sing it in French or Ojibwe, etc. but I'm embarrassed to say that I'm unilingual despite a lot of effort. I took honours French throughout high school and even moved to Quebec to make sure it stuck, but I lost it all. :(

I heard a great rendition in Inuktitut, but I could only find this youtube video in Cree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POXu1fl3Zwg

·
38,896 Posts
1 - 20 of 52 Posts