SkyscraperCity banner

741 - 756 of 756 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Looks like a clear attempt at a power move...

Commercial interest masquerading as public service. Is that how desperate the A’s are to build at Howard Terminal? This lawsuit is nothing more then a fairly clever political play in an attempt to get Schnizter Steel to play nice (since they can’t pull a Ballmer and buy their opposition out). And IMO it’s not going to work against a billion dollar employer like Schnitzer.

Howard Terminal ain’t happening, it’s just not pragmatic and the Coliseum is a shantytown. It’s time for Manfred and the MLB to step in if Oakland can’t step up. Won’t be surprised if the A’s follow the Raiders to Las Vegas, which would be fitting. The Henderson, NV proposal is next to the Raiders HQ in Las Vegas. With the Dodgers, Angels, Padres, and Diamondbacks all within driving distance, Las Vegas seems like a better home with brighter future prospects.

·
Registered
N830MH
1,408 Posts
Commercial interest masquerading as public service. Is that how desperate the A’s are to build at Howard Terminal? This lawsuit is nothing more then a fairly clever political play in an attempt to get Schnizter Steel to play nice (since they can’t pull a Ballmer and buy their opposition out). And IMO it’s not going to work against a billion dollar employer like Schnitzer.

Howard Terminal ain’t happening, it’s just not pragmatic and the Coliseum is a shantytown. It’s time for Manfred and the MLB to step in if Oakland can’t step up. Won’t be surprised if the A’s follow the Raiders to Las Vegas, which would be fitting. The Henderson, NV proposal is next to the Raiders HQ in Las Vegas. With the Dodgers, Angels, Padres, and Diamondbacks all within driving distance, Las Vegas seems like a better home with brighter future prospects.
I think Oakland A's will move to Las Vegas. I am not quite sure about that. I think they will considered it. They want to be near Raiders. If they build new ballpark in Las Vegas, but not on the strips. I think they better off to move away from Oakland. I think it's right things to do. Because they want to change. I don't want see file lawsuit against A's. They had enough already! No more file lawsuit against Oakland A's. That's final!

·
Registered
17,597 Posts

This sounds pretty accurate, but I doubt that LV is the leading candidate. Football attracts high rollers, gamblers and fans who go for a big weekend mostly indoors and during mild times of the year. Baseball would need a covered stadium but won't attract many out of town people since teams make several visits per year and games are often not on weekends,

And way would Dodger or Angel fans go to LV to see their home team? Maybe once.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think Oakland A's will move to Las Vegas. I am not quite sure about that. I think they will considered it. They want to be near Raiders. If they build new ballpark in Las Vegas, but not on the strips. I think they better off to move away from Oakland. I think it's right things to do. Because they want to change. I don't want see file lawsuit against A's. They had enough already! No more file lawsuit against Oakland A's. That's final!
I would think the A's would want to get as far away from the Raiders as possible. Those teams, especially the A's when the Raiders moved back in 1995, hated dealing with each other. I know that Marine Layer was more than happy to see the Raiders take a hike as were a lot of other A's fans.

Maybe I'm biased but I'd prefer Portland for the A's. It's just that they've painted themselves into a corner since they have no temporary stadium to use.

·
Registered
17,597 Posts
I would think the A's would want to get as far away from the Raiders as possible. Those teams, especially the A's when the Raiders moved back in 1995, hated dealing with each other. I know that Marine Layer was more than happy to see the Raiders take a hike as were a lot of other A's fans.

Maybe I'm biased but I'd prefer Portland for the A's. It's just that they've painted themselves into a corner since they have no temporary stadium to use.
That sounds like a MLS move: "let's go to a place that adds nothing to league revenues, has no domestic or world name recognition, etc." What if you got a WS between Portland and Tampa Bay or Cincinnati? 200 viewers, maybe.

If you have to move, go to Mexico City or Quebec and look for large currently untapped audiences. Or change policy and open up SJ, which is packed with money and corporate sponsors

·
Registered
99 Posts
That sounds like a MLS move: "let's go to a place that adds nothing to league revenues, has no domestic or world name recognition, etc." What if you got a WS between Portland and Tampa Bay or Cincinnati? 200 viewers, maybe.

If you have to move, go to Mexico City or Quebec and look for large currently untapped audiences. Or change policy and open up SJ, which is packed with money and corporate sponsors
We all know why SJ isn't happening. The Giants aren't budging.

Quebec didn't work before so not sure why it would work this time. Portland has been at the front of the line for MLB expansion and wants it as bad as anyone. With the exception of Mexico City, which has it's own set of hurdles, I don't see what makes it any less appealing than smaller markets like Nashville and Charlotte, who are already stretched thin as 2 sport markets. A 3rd team would make it even more saturated.

·
Registered
17,597 Posts
We all know why SJ isn't happening. The Giants aren't budging.

Quebec didn't work before so not sure why it would work this time. Portland has been at the front of the line for MLB expansion and wants it as bad as anyone. With the exception of Mexico City, which has it's own set of hurdles, I don't see what makes it any less appealing than smaller markets like Nashville and Charlotte, who are already stretched thin as 2 sport markets. A 3rd team would make it even more saturated.
Largely true, but what is Portland bringing to the party? They might as well stay in Oakland and keep the possibility of moving to a good location later. I may not be able to marry Margot Robbie but that doesn't mean I have to marry that fat hairy chick with the tattoos down the bar.

Mexico City or Quebec are risks, but high reward both for the team and for MLB. Portland is lower risk, but no reward.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Largely true, but what is Portland bringing to the party? They might as well stay in Oakland and keep the possibility of moving to a good location later. I may not be able to marry Margot Robbie but that doesn't mean I have to marry that fat hairy chick with the tattoos down the bar.

Mexico City or Quebec are risks, but high reward both for the team and for MLB. Portland is lower risk, but no reward.
I'm looking at it from an A's standpoint as opposed to MLB. The benefit of Portland is that a private developer would be fronting the cost of the stadium in exchange for land rights. Not sure if that works from a long term standpoint as opposed to doling out your own cash but it would seem to beat whatever Oakland is offering right now.

·
Registered
17,597 Posts
I'm looking at it from an A's standpoint as opposed to MLB. The benefit of Portland is that a private developer would be fronting the cost of the stadium in exchange for land rights. Not sure if that works from a long term standpoint as opposed to doling out your own cash but it would seem to beat whatever Oakland is offering right now.
Getting locked into Portland long-term isn't a good idea at any time. Really, it's hard to think of one thing that someone in Asia, Europe or the East Coast might know about Portland. Even on the west coast there's maybe beer and spotted owls? And how much do you get from the broadcast package? MLB has a potentially valuable asset and it would be a shame to waste it on a rather obscure city.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Getting locked into Portland long-term isn't a good idea at any time. Really, it's hard to think of one thing that someone in Asia, Europe or the East Coast might know about Portland. Even on the west coast there's maybe beer and spotted owls? And how much do you get from the broadcast package? MLB has a potentially valuable asset and it would be a shame to waste it on a rather obscure city.
How about the Blazers and protests? :LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
17,597 Posts
How about the Blazers and protests? :LOL::ROFLMAO:
I understand you are joking but that proves my point: few outside of the NW US have heard of the Blazers and the riots coverage lasted one day. Then back to anonymity.

I would love to see Ballmer buy the A's and move them to Mexico City. He would make them into a 5B asset within a few years. Portland will leave them about where they are now forever.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I understand you are joking but that proves my point: few outside of the NW US have heard of the Blazers and the riots coverage lasted one day. Then back to anonymity.

I would love to see Ballmer buy the A's and move them to Mexico City. He would make them into a 5B asset within a few years. Portland will leave them about where they are now forever.
Yes I was joking because there are the 2 most relevant things in Portland but everyone knows who the Blazers are. The NBA is global. Their brand is well known in Asia and Europe.

And the media coverage on the protests didn't last one day. Portland is in the news every night due to the still ongoing protests. They are clearly the hot spot for protest coverage 3 months in.

·
Registered
17,597 Posts
Yes I was joking because there are the 2 most relevant things in Portland but everyone knows who the Blazers are. The NBA is global. Their brand is well known in Asia and Europe.

And the media coverage on the protests didn't last one day. Portland is in the news every night due to the still ongoing protests. They are clearly the hot spot for protest coverage 3 months in.
LOL. If you say so. Now there is one thing everyone knows about Portland.

As for knowledge of the Blazers outside of the US I can vouch for that; it's low. I have never seen their logo, hats, shirts, etc., worn by anybody. And that's even with them being the only game in town.

·
Proud Facebook Non-Member
2,231 Posts
Found this a bit late but Marine Layer's take on the lawsuits...

·
Registered
17,597 Posts
[
Found this a bit late but Marine Layer's take on the lawsuits...

Raise your hand if you remember Fremont, Bud Selig and Lew Wolff..…What, nobody? lol. And they were late comers: this project has been around so long that proposed cities included Carthage and Babylon

And now there is a suggestion to revive Santa Clara even though the Supreme Ct. already said MLB can exclude who they want there.

So don’t give up hope, Montreal, Portland, LV and Mexico City. If not this decade, maybe the next.

·
Registered
17,597 Posts
Oakland progressives are pushing Alameda County Dems to oppose selling Coliseum to the A’s

Oakland in a nutshell. The far left drives every potential investor out of town.

I particularly like the idea that a new stadium would “potentially create economic devastation and blight to East Oakland.” East Oakland has been in economic devastation and blight for far longer than any of us has been alive.

But they are right about the sales price potentially being a giveaway to the A’s. That would be opposed by EVERYONE in Oakland except for a few old school unionists who believe that the point of city government is to divert public money to the unions and other connected parties.

741 - 756 of 756 Posts