SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I dont think anyone got hurt it was only a 2.7 on the scale. Its funny I was in my house and heard something for a second and was like what was that an earthquake I didnt say anything to anyone or think much of it. Then later I'm watching the news and they mentioned an earthquake.

·
Registered
153 Posts
earthquake? in ontario?

call me ignorant or anything but I've always thought that this part of the world would never experience an earthquake.

was it really an earthquake?

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
sloid said:
earthquake? in ontario?

call me ignorant or anything but I've always thought that this part of the world would never experience an earthquake.

There was a 3.2 magnitude Earthquake near Dryden about 3 months ago. It was near the surface, though. Residents hear a large bang sound, and it shook the city for about 20 seconds.

The Canadian sheild is being pushed on 2 sides, and this is causing it to crack in the middle. There has been a slight increase of earthquakes in Northern Ontario in the past 5 years from what I can tell.

·
I See Skyscrapers
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fault line under lake Ontario eh? Well, if we can wail long enough, Toronto will one day have a nice mountain range just like Vancouver. Take that Van.

·
Banned
4,467 Posts
sloid said:
earthquake? in ontario?

that was the 4th one this year. they happen pretty reguarly here.

·
Banned
4,467 Posts
Waterloo_Guy said:
Fault line under lake Ontario eh? Well, if we can wail long enough, Toronto will one day have a nice mountain range just like Vancouver. Take that Van.
not all fault lines cause upheaval. some make the earth slide under back into the ground.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This earthquake was really not worth making note of. I saw it in the news too, but they even said in the report that they register (on average) 1 earthquake like this per year. In a lot of countries, they register like 30+ of these annually.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts