SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The City
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure, even though Blagojevich failed to represent (since he is supposedly a Chicago democrat), I think I'd still rather have 4 more years of him than this clown. Perhaps Oberweis would bring business to the area, but he'd likely bring it all to the goddamn suburbs, where his own company is located. Not to mention that he probably doesn't give 2 shits about transit:

Oberweis says he's running for governor

By Don Babwin
The Associated Press
Published April 14, 2005, 3:32 PM CDT

Conservative businessman James Oberweis, who twice lost Republican primaries for the U.S. Senate, announced Thursday he is running for governor.

Speaking in downtown Chicago, Oberweis -- the owner of an Aurora dairy -- said he would work to make the state much more pro-business than it is today to attract companies and jobs. He said the economy could improve and jobs be created by reducing taxes for both families and businesses.

He drew a sharp contrast between his ideas for attracting companies and workers to the state and those of Gov. Rod Blagojevich, whom he said ``looks at business as though it is a cow to be milked for more and more taxes.''

During last year's Senate race, Republican leaders passed over Oberweis, 58, when Republican nominee Jack Ryan dropped out amid a sex scandal. Instead, they imported conservative commentator Alan Keyes from Maryland, who lost in a landslide to Democrat Barack Obama.

"The state central committee, when given the opportunity, did not follow the wishes of the voters,'' said Oberweis, referencing that he came in second in the primary to Ryan.

Oberweis is the first Republican to officially declare his candidacy. Others have indicated they are considering a run, including State Treasurer Judy Baar Topinka, who said last month she is talking to state and national Republican leaders, raising money and polling voters in preparation for a possible candidacy.

Oberweis offered something of an apology for a widely criticized television commercial that ran during his last Senate campaign in which he talked about immigrants taking American jobs.

"I think the commercial was too harsh and didn't communicate our position well,'' he said of the spot in which he was seen in a helicopter flying over Soldier Field, saying enough illegal immigrants were arriving in the country to fill the stadium every week.

"Many people took the commercial to understand ... that I am somehow opposed to immigration,'' he said. "I'm not. I'm opposed to illegal immigration.''

He said he has spent the last year talking to people, including Hispanic leaders, to clarify his position.

Oberweis is a millionaire who in addition to being chairman of the family dairy, founded a number of financial services companies.

He spent $3.01 million of his own money in his losing bid in the Senate primary. He said he would again be spending his own money on the gubernatorial campaign, but declined to estimate how much.

Besides Topinka, other Republicans who have said they are considering running for governor are DuPage County State's Atty. Joe Birkett, state Sen. Bill Brady, former State Board of Education chairman Ron Gidwitz and U.S. Rep. Ray LaHood of Peoria. State Sen. Sen. Steve Rauschenberger of Elgin is another potential candidate.

Oberweis indicated he was most concerned about Topinka.

"If there are three or four conservative males and one liberal female, that gives some advantage to the liberal female,'' he said.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
The suburbs and down state IL will vote for him. People in Downstate IL dont really like Rod B(iono how to spell his name), because he is a democrat from chicago.

probably the 2-4 million people living in down state IL will vote for him
about 4-6 million in suburbs is going to vote for him, and 70,000 or more people in chicago is going to vote for oberweis. More people in Chicago should run for Govenor, let say... our King, Daley.

lol.. if daley was the governor, the Down state Il is neglected, probably move the captial to chicago, and Chicago gets everything, lol.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Sharptent -- I see more heat than light in your comments. What is it about Oberweis that suggests to you he is racist? So he's against illegal immigration, like almost every politician and pulled a rather ignoble political advertisement with the air balloon. He's clearly going to have to tiptoe back on this one, or maybe do an about face. The Bush administration is in favor of lessening restrictions, so an aspiring governor of a 'blue state' can't be too far away.

TUP -- what has he said that makes you think he's anti-transit? The fact that he's suburban makes one suspicious on that issue of course, but any evidence on that? At least his business is in Aurora, which is technically a city, no? It does even have an urban core, sort of, that I have seen and heard about a little, and was its own city, yes? prior to being enveloped by the uncouth embrace of chicagoland sprawl.

Well I don't follow Blago enough to know how good he is for Illinois. I did hear briefly about his executive order requiring pharmacies to fill birth control prescriptions. Well I would suspect, given this is an urban forum, that I am in the minority on this one, but I found that directive highly noxious. Businesses can choose whether or not to sell what they want to sell; I don't think pharmacists should not be ordered by the governor or any other state official to sell prescriptions to people. My goodness, this would more likely be an issue between individual pharmacy employees and the corporate higher-ups, in terms of issue of occupational autonomy from religious precepts and beliefs, not between the government and the pharmacy. But then, I am a social conservative on some of these issues. I don't oppose birth control but I would respect pharmacists making decisions not to sell drugs associated with activities they find morally reprehensible.

Economic issues (except for gay rights) might put me in the Republican column. Illinois has lagged other states in the Midwest on job growth of late. Is this a function of taxes that are too high? Some on the panel have asserted this but I'm not sure its true. I do think Republicans too often think of business interests first, disadvantaged people second, or not at all. But if a pro-business Republican administration could help reverse the abysmal trends on job growth in Illinois, and help the state compete more effectively with the Atlantas and Phoenixes of the world, it makes it a lot harder to vote Democrat. Even if the additional business is in the suburbs, the multipler effects can spill over into the city.

·
The City
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^I respect your opinion, CL, and I admit that I can't say for sure that Oberweis would be anti-transit.

But considering his background and political affiliation, I would bet a LOT of money that the CTA funding crisis shares the bottom of the barrel with gun control and Chicago public schools in his mind. Sure, we'll wait for him to state his views, but that's just what my bet is.

Either way, I don't care who our governor is. As long as (s)he dumps money into Chicago, helps its transit system, and brings business to the area, that's all that matters. It doesn't seem like anybody in contention for governor right now will be willing or able to pull that off. :(

BTW: I also wanted to add--it makes me laugh that the CTA crisis is being treated like a Democrat/poor man's issue. Last couple times I came to Chicago, I saw people of all backgrounds (ethnic and socio-economic) riding the 'L and buses.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I don't like Blago. He's an opportunist and something of an arrogant prick, and I wouldn't mind seeing him be challenged by someone in the primary. I also don't see Oberweis winning in Illinois, though I could see Topinka, which wouldn't be disastrous because 1) she's not very conservative and 2) she could probably be ousted without too much difficulty in a blue state that's only getting bluer. The one problem is, of course, transit, which a suburban Republican is unlikely to give much priority.

I really would like to see a liberal Democrat elected, though. We deserve genuine progressives in state government; Madigan in the state legislature is practically a fascist in the way he uses his power, and Blago is a joke. We should be on the vanguard of the country, establishing state health care, gay marriage, statewide gun control and all of that. And, of course, first-rate public transit and anti-sprawl measures.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
ChicagoLover said:
What is it about Oberweis that suggests to you he is racist?
because he's a major fucking douche. only a completely retarded ****-bag like oberweis would run a commercial like the one he did in the senate campaign. the guy is a moron, and a lot of morons are also bigots, so i put two and two together...............

is that too hot for ya? ;)

·
C.B.P.
1,188 Posts
Oberwiess claims to be pro-business. But I'd like to see a poll of local businesses and see how they feel about immigration. I think they've already voted aganst him if we go by their hiring practices. Oberwiess is nothing more than a thinly veiled Nazi. We should all boycott his business like I have and enjoy some delicious Baskin-Robbins!

·
The City
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The State of Illinois is such a drag on Chicago. Who needs to deal with the Governor and all his downstate moochers?

Chicago and surroundings generates all the moolah for this place. Financially, Chicago could sustain itself if it weren't for Springfield ass-clowns divying up its hard-earned wealth. BAH!

·
Registered
819 Posts
TUP -- my top priorities are like yours -- chicago first, transit first. In one sense, it seems intuitive to have a mayor who is from the city. But, a Chicago governor has to constantly cater to downstate and the 'burbs so as to avoid the accusations that he's Chicago-centric, which could spell political ruin. Maybe that's what's happened in Blago's case. A suburban Chicago who nonetheless knows the value of the city, say, can maybe help the city more because he has the political capital to do so. Does anyone know how good Edgar and the previous gov (whose name escapes me) were for the city?

Given Republicans' apparent concern for efficiency in government, they should a lot more attention to mass transit. Can you imagine, if someone calculated the number of person-miles that every dollar put into mass transit paid for, as opposed to the number of person-miles that every dollar put into roads? I imagine the differential would be astonishing. There are so many costs to low density, cul-de-sacs and freeway suburban living that completely invisible to the the vast majority of lawmakers and citizens. Everyone considers mass transit to be subsidized, but very few consider road building and maintenance to be subsidizing car travel. They just consider that the proper role of the government. When the roads are cracked and full of potholes, people think, man we need to raise a little tax money to pay for a bond issue, this is unacceptable. But when the El is riding at quarter speed because CTA can't afford to update the tracks, people are more apt to think " oh man, let's put this thing out of its misery."

The differential efficiency between auto and mass transit grows as the population in an area grows. Population growth simply creates more traffic jams in the suburbs, but calls for more frequent train service in the city, making even better use of the rails. And SO many of the problems with mass transit -- not convenient to enough, not clean enough, not fast enough, not enough locations -- are all the product of underinvestment. The amazing systems in Europe are proof of this.

Rant: Has anyone floated the idea of a secession between NE IL and the rest of the state? If downstate hates Chicago so much, maybe they should try things on their own. How would they like dem apples? Illinois can become a smaller version of Indiana, while Chicagoland can look after its interests. How much population would that siphon off? Downstate is a different state in piece of mind if nothing else. Why not just make it official?

·
Cynical post-collegiate
937 Posts
Rant: Has anyone floated the idea of a secession between NE IL and the rest of the state? If downstate hates Chicago so much, maybe they should try things on their own. How would they like dem apples? Illinois can become a smaller version of Indiana, while Chicagoland can look after its interests. How much population would that siphon off? Downstate is a different state in piece of mind if nothing else. Why not just make it official?
I suppose this is a sentiment that Chicagoans have in common with NYC. We both want to secede from our conservative, leeching downstate/upstate.

No way that the lawmakers in Springfield would ever allow it.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I also wonder how much less they could underinvest in CTA if politicians started demanding better-built roads. The roads in this country are built at subpar quality to keep the work coming for the politically connected construction companies.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Azn_chi_boi said:
The suburbs and down state IL will vote for him. People in Downstate IL dont really like Rod B(iono how to spell his name), because he is a democrat from chicago.
The suburbs,down state IL, Dick Mel* and Richie Daley will vote for him.

* maybe even his daughter

:)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Latoso said:
Oberwiess claims to be pro-business. But I'd like to see a poll of local businesses and see how they feel about immigration. I think they've already voted aganst him if we go by their hiring practices. Oberwiess is nothing more than a thinly veiled Nazi. We should all boycott his business like I have and enjoy some delicious Baskin-Robbins!
Hear! Hear! Finally a voice of reason. I am extreamly proud of the fact that I am boycotting overpriced and overrated Oberweiss dairy and would also encourage others to do so. I only have been to one once and I never went back when I saw his highly racist political ad regarding illegal immigration. As a died-in-the-wool liberal it was not a hard decision to make and keep. :)

Unfortunatly, I am highly dissatisfied by Blago so I may be forced to vote republican in the upcoming governor race. The only republican that is considering candidacy that I would actually vote for is perhaps Topinka, only because she is a very moderate conservative like former Governor Ryan and would possibly work well with Daley. Not to mention, since she is the state treasurer I would think that she might have a good knowledge of state finances and might do a good job balancing the budget.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
I also agree, Topinka isnt a bad person to run for govenor after all.

oprah winfrey should run too... lol.. US need a female AND a black governor in one person(if they wasnt any before).

should Pat Quinn run for govenor??
How about someone azn?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Azn_chi_boi said:
oprah winfrey should run too... lol.. US need a female AND a black governor in one person(if they wasnt any before).

should Pat Quinn run for govenor??
How about someone azn?
Oprah certainly has the money to conduct a run for governor but she probably doesn't have the time or the interest to devote to such business. I also would question her effectiveness.

As for Pat Quinn, does anyone actually know where he stands on any issues? He is so invisible from any media attention and it doesn't seem like he does anything in springfield.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts