Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

ABOUT Odense

Population: 173 000 (metro 196 000)
Tallest building: Albani Church
Region: Funen
Founded year (city rights): 1355
Area: 304 km²
Year visited: 2014

Odense, named after the viking god Odin, is Denmark's 3rd largest city and known as HC Andersens birthtown. It is situated on the island of Funen (Fyn), about 1.5 hours by train from Copenhagen. Odense flourished in the middle ages, since it was rebuilt after it was burnt down in 1249. Royalties have lived there, it is a historically important city so you will find many interesting buildings and architecture, both large and small scale -especially churches and museums. Latter years, Odense have been known as one of the Denmark's most multicultural cities. The port of the city, Odense Havn, is Denmark's only canal harbour. Odense used to have Europe's 2nd largest tower, the 175m tall Odinstårnet, but it was destroyed by the Nazis during World War II and still haven't been rebuilt.

MY EXPERIENCE

Why head for Copenhagen a 1500th time? I tried Odense instead, a bit further away and more expensive (train ticket), but worth it. Odense is a nice city, modern but still with many charming old typical Danish houses. I visited the HC Andersen museum, the Möntergården old houses and the Railway museum. (Composer Carl Nielsen is also from Odens, and there is a museum about him here). Unfortunately the skies were grey most of the time during my visit, it even rained a bit, but in the late afternoon the sun appeared.

Railway station

Vestergade, the main pedestrian street.

·
Illustrator
6,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
TOWN HALL SQUARE:

Odense Domkirke (Cathedral), HC Andersen's confirmation church

Odense Domkirke (Cathedral)

Sct Albani Kirke

Sct Albani Kirke

·
Illustrator
6,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HC Andersen Museum (suggested birthplace):

It was charming but a bit empty, most people tend to stay in the newer part of the city center:

Sortebrodre Torv, where HC Andersen visited free theaters.

Graphic workshop that I visited.

·
Illustrator
6,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KONGENSGADE:

Kongensgade (King's Street), one of the main pedestrian streets. It is situated between Vestergade and Kongens Have.

Kongens Gade, painting on the street.

Granite sculptures at the end of Kongens Gade, where it meets the main road Østre Stationsvej.

NØRREGADE:

Nørregade is a winding street, situated between the Central station and Albani torv.

Sankt Hans Kirke is the old church were HC Anderesen was baptized.

Odense has significant white and lime green buses.

Odense Film Festival was taking place during my visit.

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Odense.html

·
Illustrator
6,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice and interesting photos! Odense seems to have a large and well preserved old town :)
Thanks! And yes, that's true :cheers:

·
Illustrator
6,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BRANDT'S KLÆDEFABRIK (BRANDT'S CLOTHING FACTORY):

This is a couple of blocks in the city center that used to be part of a clothing factory called Brandt's Klædefabrik. Today it is a typical gentrified hip area with much culture, restaurants, designer stores, cafés, pubs, offices, restaurants, museums and students apartments. Here you find the Media Museum, Brandts Museum, a private art museum and the concert place Magasinet. Brandst used to be Odense's biggest employer, but went bankrupt in 1977 and today it is a very vibrant neighbourhood, connected to Vestergade with Brandts passage.

Brandts Klædfabrik

Yoko Ono's "a whole to see", Brandts Klædfabrik. The building is the former clothing factory at Amfipladsen.

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Odense_City.html

·
Illustrator
6,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Nice. Did you go into the railway station at all? It looks like an impressive complex.
Yes it is very modern and very large! The old part is now the music library. Inside the central station there is a large shopping mall and the current central library. The pictures above are from the interior and exterior, not very special or futuristic but modern and large, so large it was hard to find the way out to the railway museum. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts