Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OF CHICAGO, HUCKTERISM, HUMAN NATURE AND THE NAURE OF THIS BOARD

I’ve been accused of being a chaunestic Chicago, touting Chicago, putting it on a pedestal. Partisanship by the shitload.

Guilty. As charged.

But if it had been me I was praising about instead of Chicago, I might have come across like a bore....but a bore who was selling himself to get ahead. Watching out for number one.

Aren’t cities like people in that respect? Chicago didn’t elevate itself to the metropolis of mid-America by sayiing “we’re just like everybody else.: No, Chicago sold itsself to America with the audacity to say to the established east coast cities “We’re as good as you are. And we’re going to prove it”. This pip sqeauk windy city had the nerve to think it could host a world’s fair in 1892 and do it as well ...or better....than any east coast city could. We did.

So since there are no “facts” to prove me wrong (there aren’t), why shouldn’t I think that Chicago can elevate itself to an even higher status than even its current lofty one? Why do I have to accept that New York will always be the end-all-and-be-all of US cities? Is there some rule about it? And if I ....as well as other Chicagoans....don’t accept our “place in life”, aren’t we actually helping ourselves to become what we want to be. A self fulfilling prophecy.

Self fulfilling profehecy? In modern times, Atlanta had one. Atlanta convinced itself that the “New South” was real and it could be its center. The city that was “too busy to hate” was really the city that was “the city that hated not being a ‘player”” So it sold integration over segregation, the concept of an airport hub for the south (and the nation), a place where media could thrieve (thank you, Mr. Turner), “major league” by drawing the Braves. And across the nation on the west coast, LA bought water and sold movies and had the nerve to think it might replace San Francisco as THE city in the west. If you had suggested far less than a century ago that LA would be able to challenge NY in size and power, you would have been put in a straight jacket , far away from the normal people, perhaps in a mental hospital in the southern tip of Nevada (nobody would ever show up there).

So, yes, I’m a Chicago salesman. Yes, I squwak about the towns charms. Yes, I do put the city on the pedestal. And sure I’m selling....but I do believe in my product. And nobody can fault me if I think a little PR and the power of positive thinking can do wonders to make a great place even better. And while I’m at it, on a personal level, sure I’d “fudge” a bit on a resume. No reason not to sell myself as well.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
mega-ditto edsg.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
but the real question is, have you ever been accused of misspelling words? such as chauvinistic?

but seriously, Chicago's reality is soooo far ahead of its image, particularly internationally, that it's hard for Chicago boosters to exercise boosteristic restraint.

When you KNOW something, it's hard not to share the knowledge.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think you ask great questions. If forumers don't like your enthusiasum then they should not respond. You're all right in my book.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you ask great questions. If forumers don't like your enthusiasum then they should not respond. You're all right in my book.
thanks, urbanpin, much appreciated. can i use "f**k 'em all" as part of my signature here???? Or better still, get Anne Coulter to ghost write one for me.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I think one of the nice things about Chicago is that it really tries to assert itself as the WGC. Whether this agrees with general world opinion has ultimately never really deterred us. ;)

What do we (ultimately) care what they think? This high civic ego of ours leads to building great projects and progressively making the city better.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think one of the nice things about Chicago is that it really tries to assert itself as the WGC. Whether this agrees with general world opinion has ultimately never really deterred us. ;)

What do we (ultimately) care what they think? This high civic ego of ours leads to building great projects and progressively making the city better.
here's my spin about it: other people in other cities love their cities tremendously, too. what i think is one of the things that makes chicago chicago is how fascinated we are with our city. i believe we disect it in our minds like no other city does. From how deep dish pizza got started to whether it was man or beast that started the great Chicago fire or why bungaloos look the way they do, we want to know. We absorb knowledge about the place.

in New York, the skyline has such bulk, such mass, that major buildings get lost in the shuffle and barely make their presence known. San Francisco loves is new, high energy skyline, but it is the natural landscape that makes SF tick. LA is so sprawled that it is hard to focus on the whole as opposed to the component parts.

In Chicago, our downtown is the lightening rod for the whole region and with it, the interconnectiveness of the neighborhoods. We look at that flat piece of real estate rising above the lake and river and see it as our own construction project, plugging in new builings and seeing how they play off of each other. While not as massive as Burnham, we truly buy into and see successes in plans for the CBD and its surroundings; we buy into the idea we have conrol over what the environment and enjoy watching it evolve. The envirnoment's very flatness that creates the most ideal piece of real estate is like a palette; that the palette continues through the flatness of the city neighborhoods and the lake only enhances this man made wonder in our eyes. It's our own personal Disney World, with attractons added all the time to excite us. We are enamoured of the core more so than any other city. San Fanciscans don't see downtown that way; New Yorkers don't see midtown that way.

·
The City
5,935 Posts
New Yorkers don't see midtown that way.
^ New Yorkers may not necessarily see midtown that way, but I think you're wasting your time with that perception because most New Yorkers view Manhattan as their city's "downtown".

And New Yorkers lie in awe of and basically worship Manhattan, perhaps even more so than Chicagoans do with their own downtown (but then I could be wrong, so lets not spark a debate).

Anyhow, this is what makes places like Chicago and New York, and actually only Chicago and New York, so special to me. They are the only 2 metros whose downtowns are like a giant EXCLAMATION POINT to their regions. You hang out in NYC or Chicago suburbs or 'hoods and say, "wow, this is kind of neat", and then you see the skyline in the distance and suddenly grow curious and excited. As you approach your curiousity grows, and when you finally reach downtown you realize that this is the great, mighty, humming engine that keeps the whole place together.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Anyhow, this is what makes places like Chicago and New York, and actually only Chicago and New York, so special to me. They are the only 2 metros whose downtowns are like a giant EXCLAMATION POINT to their regions. You hang out in NYC or Chicago suburbs or 'hoods and say, "wow, this is kind of neat", and then you see the skyline in the distance and suddenly grow curious and excited. As you approach your curiousity grows, and when you finally reach downtown you realize that this is the great, mighty, humming engine that keeps the whole place together.
Well put.

·
less is more
978 Posts
Chicago needs more salesman like you. Our city does not have the tool (media) to market itself like NY, LA so Chicago enthusiasts need to fill that role. And you already did.

As long as we don't put down other cities, I find nothing wrong with this kind of boosterism

OF CHICAGO, HUCKTERISM, HUMAN NATURE AND THE NAURE OF THIS BOARD

So, yes, I’m a Chicago salesman. Yes, I squwak about the towns charms. Yes, I do put the city on the pedestal. And sure I’m selling....but I do believe in my product. And nobody can fault me if I think a little PR and the power of positive thinking can do wonders to make a great place even better. And while I’m at it, on a personal level, sure I’d “fudge” a bit on a resume. No reason not to sell myself as well.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Hell, if Milwaukee had edsg has their executive for promoting the city, we'd not only become one of the top culture cities in the country, but people would actually KNOW where Milwaukee is on a map!

Chicagoans, know this: You got something that others would be envious for - edsg25!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hell, if Milwaukee had edsg has their executive for promoting the city, we'd not only become one of the top culture cities in the country, but people would actually KNOW where Milwaukee is on a map!

Chicagoans, know this: You got something that others would be envious for - edsg25!
i keep telling you guys to rename your city East Wauwatosa to achieve a higher profile, but nobody listens, brew.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Literally and figuratively!

glboill, i usually respect you greatly. this time though, i am very disappointed in you, young man. was it really necessary for you to draw a picture of a breast above sears tower? how immature.:banana:

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Edsg,

sorry, junior high regression....

·
Chicago
15 Posts
First of all, great thread. Very Inspiring.

Secondly, as one who has never traveled internationally, I could be wrong in this respect, but I am of the belief that most people around the globe have little to no knowledge of how grand Chicago really is. I think the location of the city, in the midwest, had allowed for it to be hidden under the guise of a city that can never live up to its counterparts on the coasts, and that the city is nothing more than a glorified farm city.

I hope this will change and people like you and others to give it the hype that I'm sure it will live up to when seen by those unknowing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts