Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґ&#4
5,767 Posts
My brother and I took a road trip through New England a few years ago, beautiful place and perfect for that sort of adventure. Whereabouts are you headed?

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hehe!! Great to be back!!! Had a wonderful week, but as always I am thrilled to be back home. The old pubs, Bell in Hand and Green Dragon were FANTASTIC and amongst the highlights of my trip. However, I discovered that both of them have moved a few times over the years... so unfortunately they are not in my category of "oldest pubs" because they are not in their original building. However, I LOVED both of them! I'll just post a few Boston pics, because this is a Toronto thread.

Boston's famous rowhouses:

Paul Revere's House, built in 1680 is the oldest building in downtown Boston:

The oldest Church, from 1723... the Old North Church, with a statue of Paul Revere in the foreground:

This building was built in 1700, but has been a restaurant since 1826. The famous Union Oyster House!

the absolutely fantastic Bell in Hand, and the Green Dragon:

·
Someone reads this?
802 Posts
Enjoy your vacations!

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Thanks!! I'm going to Varadero, but am particularly looking forward to two days in Havana.
You go on a lot of vacations, which of course, is a good thing. I've never been to Cuba but it looks interesting, especially Old Havana.

Those Boston pics above are quite nice. Boston is one of my favourite American cities. The city is a bit too quiet for me, especially at night but I love the historic areas and all the great buildings.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wish I could go on more vacations! But I am happy and fortunate enough to be able to travel a bit. I love Boston, but now after two thorough trips there, I'll wait a few years before I go back; there are just too many new places to explore! Boston is quite a conservative city, and very quiet. But it is really pretty in the historical sections. Parts of it remind me of London. I'd say Boston is the American version of our Montreal.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Back!! Had a great trip. I'll post a few photos here of our stay in both Varadero and Havana. First, the view from our Varadero room:

the STUNNING beach in front of our hotel. Bear in mind I've not tweaked or
photoshopped the colours one bit; this is exactly what you see:

and the visually stunning La Havana. This was our hotel, the magnificent old "Hotel Sevilla", home to movie stars, tycoons, writers, and the upper echelon of the Mafioso from the '20's to the '40's. It was astronomically expensive for Cuba, but really about the price you'd pay for a night at a downtown Sheraton here:

Views from our 8th floor suite, once stayed in by the glamorous
and sexy Josephine Baker:

·
Registered
536 Posts
WOW beautiful photos thanks for sharing!!! Also I can't believe frozen in time Cuba is, is all of Cuba historical and old looking or just this city? Just wondering if there is any modern architecture there, even the cars look so old wow???

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cuba is completely a time warp. Horse drawn taxis are not just a tourist trap, they are a quite necessary part of the transportation system due to lack and expense of cars. Also many taxis are little Coco scooters with room for two to sit behind the driver. Also bicycle taxis pulling a little contraption big enough for two to cram onto. There are some "modern" buildings, and they are usually 2 or 3 storey public buildings. There are some concrete apartment blocks, but no modern office towers as we know them. I don't know about the grand historical buildings in the rest of Havana, as we stayed only in the old town; but the old town is huge and every single street is jam packed full of beautiful old buildings trapped in a time warp. Many are literally crumbling and very poorly maintained, but others are in superb shape. Most side streets are very narrow and I've never been in a city in the Western Hemisphere that felt so incredibly "European", to use an overused cliché. But, I've never been to Buenos Aires, either. I was completely unprepared for the extent of the historical architecture in old Havana. Wow....
I've only plucked a few photos to show here; I will try and put together a Cuba thread with more pictures.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cubans are absolutely thrilled to bits, and full of optimism about their future now because of the recent announcements. Plus, the Cuban government announced formally yesterday that they will be getting rid of the ridiculous tourist Peso (CUC). They penalise Canadian money something like 25% right off the bat when you exchange it for the CUCs. I thought that was only done to US money, but nope... they ding ours as well. Really they are just making things cost 25% more than you think of them costing, because you think of a CUC being one Cdn dollar. Plus, the method of converting our money to CUC pesos at the Varadero airport is mind boggling. Say you give the woman behind the glass $1000 Cdn dollars. She counts it, and punches some figures into a dollar store calculator, and holds up the mystery figure for you to see (we had no idea about any conversion rate). She hands over CUC Pesos. People ask for a receipt. She shakes her head and beckons the next person to come forward. All done with nothing at all entered into a computer. Banks in Cuba use the computers normally, but the government conversion houses don't. I'm not really complaining about it; they are a poor country and need income. I'll just be happy to see the CUC system scrapped so I can buy and sell Cuban pesos at home here in Toronto before or after I travel.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts