SkyscraperCity banner

7581 - 7600 of 7731 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
I was furious over the rejection of the Aurora tower too.
I was too, it should have been the start of the regeneration of great Victoria street as Belfast’s golden mile. But now the harbour and riverfront seem like the places to build. They might not have got the investment they have had if this happened.

·
Registered
398 Posts
This is what’s replacing it

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Webinar on 24 November on reimagining the city centre. Could be interesting.

Register here

ABOUT THIS TALK

COVID-19 has cratered our city centre. The heart of the city is missing its lifeblood – people – and it is suffering like never before.

It needs urgent support and attention, an injection of new life and energy, if it is to fulfil its true potential, making Belfast a dynamic place in which to live, work, study, play and visit.

This will not be easy because, alongside COVID-19, the city is still recovering from the devastating Bank Buildings fire which caused lasting shock waves to business in our city core in 2019.

Now we are tackling the economic and social consequences of COVID-19 while at the same time anticipating the effects of Brexit.

So, what is the current picture in our city centre and how do we make Belfast the city we all want it to be? What is Belfast City Council doing to support the city as we live with COVID-19 and what are its plans to transform the city into a dynamic, vibrant city?

What are the short-term wins and longer-term goals and how important is community collaboration in driving our city back to its former glory? How will real estate pivot to meet the needs of our future city centre?

Join us for a lively, insightful panel discussion and have your say on how we recover our city centre from the impact of this pandemic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Out of interest, has anybody heard any information about the new apartments being built at the old Ballynafeigh police station down the Ormeau Rd? I was walking past last night and it looked like people were there to possibly kit out a show apartment, but haven't seen anything online about it apart from what is on futurebelfast. Does it seem strange for a development to be so far along without any marketing or sale of apartments? (or maybe i'm wrong and that is normal practice for a development of that size). I was also surprised by the size of the site, I hadn't realised that there was a separate large 2nd block not really visible from the street that seems pretty much finished!

·
Registered
832 Posts
It does, so CQ 1, 2 and the hotel are complete. The massive hole in the ground for UU has been replaced by a mostly completed university. 3 of the student accommodation blocks are completed. The sad news is obviously the Primark shell and the demolition of buildings on North Street. Not sure if there are any other major changes. The grand Central has been updated

·
Registered
398 Posts
It does, so CQ 1, 2 and the hotel are complete. The massive hole in the ground for UU has been replaced by a mostly completed university. 3 of the student accommodation blocks are completed. The sad news is obviously the Primark shell and the demolition of buildings on North Street. Not sure if there are any other major changes. The grand Central has been updated
They added the cathedral spire of hope, also removed this big industrial complex near the airport, it had these white chimneys and a really tall portable crane, I assume it was demolished, I think for the gas power plant

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yea I think any developments in Belfast over the next 10 years will be clustered around there. Makes sense with the train station.

7581 - 7600 of 7731 Posts