SkyscraperCity banner

7621 - 7640 of 7740 Posts

·
saulalvarez
124 Posts
100% the correct decision.There needs to be way more vision than these East Berlin-esque blocks that are being proposed. I would like to see Havelock remain (with new windows and a paint job) and some apartments incorporated into the rest of the site as a mixed use proposal.

There needs to be way more services and amenities for people in the gasworks and hundreds of new people possibly living here.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yes the first developer who works out building a larger convenience/ lidl sized store with apartments above will be onto a winner. With the residents of donegal pass + markets (i know it is/was a flashpoint), Linen quarter, Gasworks and wider lower ormeau as customers.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Good to see the demolition of Havelock House refused. Its obviously not the prettiest building, but it has a long history, and good to see the council start to take such built heritage seriously.

Hopefully a better scheme comes out of it.
I think the building is redundant as it isn’t the prettiest, but the proposal to replace it was terrible, it needs to be replace with something more befitting of its history.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Yep, the proposal was very poor. Another disappointing effort from a local architect who you would have expected to do better. Once again we are miles behind the quality of what is being proposed for cities across the water. Look at the Tim Groom proposals in Manchester, for example, or some of the recent proposals for Nottingham and Wolverhampton. Meanwhile, what do we get- featureless blocks with tin roofs, a slap of white render here and there, steel juliet balconies and absolutely no ground floor interaction whatsoever.

At least the council had the good sense to reject this one. Lord knows what the planners saw in it that got their approval for recommendation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There is a new planning application (ref:LA04/2020/2199/F) to convert this building from office to 26no. residential apartments:

The main change would be the Bruce Street side where windows and balcony are added. The rest of the building external appearance would be similar to the existing.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
After the inner ring road made a total mess of that particular block of buildings on GVS, had always hoped someone would fill in that awkward triangle that remained to the right of this building, an extension with something matching the style. No chance of that if there's going to be a load of balconies down that side now!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ok 11 storey build to rent plans were amended from a 19 storey tower, which I guess the architects replaced with the residence, which was recently approved.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts

I somehow missed this, anyone have anymore info?
I recall seeing this last year, a real dismal effort from Like Architects. Hopefully there is scope to change the design as the current proposal is poor. In saying that, the design is better than what was first proposed, which was disgusting. I'd uploaded a few renders last year here:

The Albion apartment block proposal has also recently undergone a refinement. The original 19 storey proposal is now scaled back to 10 stories. There is no gap between the tower element and the smaller section. There also appears to be more glazing and facade, and less brick. The whole arrangement of windows is still a total mess, and, of course, there is still Like Architects' signature 'blank wall on prominent corner feature'. Erskine House has shown that even in today's generally woeful standards of design, it is possible to turn a corner nicely... hopefully someone from the practice can walk past it someday and take note.

New proposal:

wws1new
by hypnotoad24, on Flickr

Previous proposal:

wws1old
by hypnotoad24, on Flickr

·
Registered
833 Posts
After the inner ring road made a total mess of that particular block of buildings on GVS, had always hoped someone would fill in that awkward triangle that remained to the right of this building, an extension with something matching the style. No chance of that if there's going to be a load of balconies down that side now!
Yeah I used to walk passed it everyday wondering what realistic options there where to tidy it up and get rid of the awful advertising boards.
Realistically nothing will ever be built in that narrow site but I would have liked something a bit more creative than the current proposal. Maybe staggered balconies and a giant wall mural to celebrate the area.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Piling seems to have started for the Lesley Parklands development.

for reference

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Yep, the proposal was very poor. Another disappointing effort from a local architect who you would have expected to do better. Once again we are miles behind the quality of what is being proposed for cities across the water. Look at the Tim Groom proposals in Manchester, for example, or some of the recent proposals for Nottingham and Wolverhampton. Meanwhile, what do we get- featureless blocks with tin roofs, a slap of white render here and there, steel juliet balconies and absolutely no ground floor interaction whatsoever.

At least the council had the good sense to reject this one. Lord knows what the planners saw in it that got their approval for recommendation.
Just to add further to this, as i noticed the below proposal for Nottingham posted on the city talk forum yesterday.

Light years ahead of us. Proper height ground floor, nice horizontal detailing separating the ground floor from the upper floors, similar at the roof level, a curved corner, some attempt at detailing in the brickwork, proper sized windows arranged in a regular pattern. Floor heights that respect and match neighbouring buildings. Why can we not get the same here?

Floors - 6

Space - 74 student beds

Use - Student + ground floor cafe/restaurant unit

Architects - Leonard Design Architects

Developer - Carlton Street Trading

PLANNING APPLICATION SUBMITTED

View attachment 783625 View attachment 783632 View attachment 783636 View attachment 783639 View attachment 783641 View attachment 783642 View attachment 783645

7621 - 7640 of 7740 Posts