SkyscraperCity banner

7741 - 7760 of 7849 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Looks a pretty decent proposal, hope whatever design they do come up with doesn't deviate too much from it. Proper ground floor street interaction, decent sized windows all nicely arranged, no silly blank areas on prominent facades. Much better than most of the other schemes of a similar nature proposed in Belfast.

Copied the photo from your link for a large version.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like it, nice height and density. I guess there is a good chance this would go ahead since CommunitiesNI have acquired the site ?
I would have liked to see balconies. I think Belfast really needs more apartments with balcony as this adds more value to city centre living (and the weather should not be an excuse, in Reykjavik Iceland most apartments have balconies :LOL: ).

·
Registered
594 Posts
Very good chance, the developer won a competition to acquire it (best design) according to the Belfast live article I read.
I like it, nice height and density. I guess there is a good chance this would go ahead since CommunitiesNI have acquired the site ?
I would have liked to see balconies. I think Belfast really needs more apartments with balcony as this adds more value to city centre living (and the weather should not be an excuse, in Reykjavik Iceland most apartments have balconies :LOL: ).

·
22,172 Posts
So, the most extreme scenario would be like the ewart Bedford square?
Yeah. I actually would like to see the hideous brick extension demolished and replaced with something with a touch more class and sensitivity, would help open Bank Square more as well with the removal of that service area at the rear.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah. I actually would like to see the hideous brick extension demolished and replaced with something with a touch more class and sensitivity, would help open Bank Square more as well with the removal of that service area at the rear.
It would be a fantastic site for a market hall/alternative events space with enhanced access to the outdoors at Bank Square. Unfortunately, the economics of that are unlikely to make sense for a commercial buyer.

·
saulalvarez
135 Posts
It would be a fantastic site for a market hall/alternative events space with enhanced access to the outdoors at Bank Square. Unfortunately, the economics of that are unlikely to make sense for a commercial buyer.
It would be great to see this building (or any other land, or vacant building for that matter) CPO'd by the government and turned into a food market like Reffen or Papirioen in Copenhagen. Feels like when some normality is restored people will really want to eat and drink out again. Would be one way of promoting local hospitality industry and re energizing the city centre. New ideas needed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm hearing that the other site on the Ballymaconaghy Road was also approved today, for (I think) another 126 houses.

I assume construction won't start for a number of years though? Presumably Fraser wouldn't be constructing sites on both sides of the road, at the same time?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts

·
saulalvarez
135 Posts
That's a lot of detached homes (and cars). That said the homes look good quality and far better then the cheap, red brick new builds we have come to see. Also good to see a park.

Would like to see more low density apartments in the suburbs with access to more green space, has always been the norm in Europe. Would be of interest to me in a few years

·
Registered
901 Posts
That's a lot of detached homes (and cars). That said the homes look good quality and far better then the cheap, red brick new builds we have come to see. Also good to see a park.

Would like to see more low density apartments in the suburbs with access to more green space, has always been the norm in Europe. Would be of interest to me in a few years
Never going to be an attractive option until leasehold is done away with,

7741 - 7760 of 7849 Posts