Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
In a good mood today? It's not every time we get an exclamation mark at the end of the thread title! :happy:

·
ENTJ 8w9
11,993 Posts
Oh, insider gossip from BT employees, plans for £557M replacement for the current Birmingham BT Tower. Enjoy!

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
^^That means we'd be getting a Martineau Galleries/ Superhospital/ Bullring sized development on that site. :|

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
From the Post. I hope this guy's OK.

Man falls from scaffolding in city centre

Jun 13 2007

By Rhona Ganguly

Lunchtime in Birmingham's business district was brought to an abrupt halt today after a construction worker plunged 50ft to the ground.

Stunned witnesses gathered after the incident, where a Paragon Interiors Group Plc worker fell face down from a hoist attached to scaffolding on the former Deloitte building in Colmore Row at about 2pm.

West Midlands Police cordoned off the area surrounding the Great Western Arcade, opposite Snow Hill station, as paramedics attempted to treat and move the man. The worker, who has not been named but is believed to be in his 30s, received serious multiple injuries and was taken to Selly Oak hospital.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said paramedics had been alerted to the scene after receiving a number of phone calls from witnesses who had seen the man fall approximately seven storeys.

Steve Harris, the motorcycle paramedic who was first to arrive at the scene, said: "The man was seriously injured and had fallen face down among some hoarding, but was talking to us.

"We believe he had fallen about 50ft from a hoist going up the scaffolding. We collared and boarded him and put a line up, and were able to administer pain relief."

One eye witness, who preferred to remain anonymous, said: "There was a big crash which was really loud and a scream. He was screaming a lot and was definitely conscious when the paramedics arrived.

Story continues Continue story
ADVERTISEMENT

"There were lots of people around who were just standing and watching."

Last night, the company responsible for the building development said it was investigating the incident.

Peter Francis, a spokesman for Paragon Interiors Group Plc, said the company had recently passed a health and safety assessment for its Colmore Row site.

"Certainly we deeply regret any injury that happens to our staff. At the moment we are doing all we can to find out all the circumstances to the accident.

"We do have strict safety guidelines in place and have recently been cleared for health and safety in Colmore Row, so this is a devastating blow.

"We will be carrying out an investigation into the incident."

·
Registered
14,982 Posts
Oh, insider gossip from BT employees, plans for £557M replacement for the current Birmingham BT Tower. Enjoy!
Replacement? What exactly do you mean. The tower. Associated offices. Telephone exchange bits and pieces like the Brown Hill Street thing.

Gossip is a dangerous thing but this sounds interesting ;)

I hope that man is allright too. Just reading that gave me goosebumps.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
^^Bah, we're already getting one of 'em. We don't need another. I'm imagining a spiral-like tower like the Guangzhou TV Tower, just not for TV but apartments.

·
SSC Geek
2,795 Posts
What would you guys think if something like Shanghai TV Tower was built in Brum?

Apologies for my very bad photo.

·
ENTJ 8w9
11,993 Posts
Whoever accepts the planning for a tower like that would be hung, drawn and quartered. It's cheap, looks it too.

·
Fus-Ro-Dah!
12,510 Posts
Bleuch I hate that pearl thing. Looks like it would be considered tacky in Las Vegas.

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
I like it. Tacky or not, anything distinctive and landmarky is good in my book be it a tower, a rollercoaster or a mountain. :yes:

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Yes, that tower comes in for a lot of criticism..... personally , I like it . If BT were to go I would be very disappointed .The replacement would have to be a lot higher to appease my angst.

·
SSC Geek
2,795 Posts
I have to say, that picture does make it look a bit worse than I remember seeing it. But I still wouldn't have it in Birmingham, i think if we get VTP then that will be enough. I think one observation-type tower in a city is enough, and this one really only works because of the whole 'feel' of Shanghai.

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
Yes, that tower comes in for a lot of criticism..... personally , I like it . If BT were to go I would be very disappointed .The replacement would have to be a lot higher to appease my angst.
Trouble is, its in the wrong position especially if towers the size of Snow Hill are going to contiue to pop up around it!

·
Brummie on Tour
584 Posts
From the Post. I hope this guy's OK.
Yes me too Erebus, face first:eek:hno: , it's a wonder he didn't die of a heart attack. Let's hope he's ok.

·
Registered
14,982 Posts
There will have to be something on the existing site though due to the tunnels underneath.
Ive given up on going down them as obviously dangerous but is there any way to compel any changes to the BT site to have to perform a survey of the tunnels they can get to or at least record as much about them as they can for posterity and record.

Too many things get demolished, left to ruin or rebuilt without any record photographic or otherwise being made. The beauty of this forum is, so long as the photos are stored somewhere, we have a record of the transition of Brum in the 00ies that we couldn't do as well in the sixties.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I actually really like that shaghai tower i think its really iconic and while most towers seem the same this one always stands out for me, It really is for me the only one that stands out from the shanghai skyline (especially at night) which i think is iconic.

coming to think of it i love it at night as it looks futuristic but maybe it looks average at daytime?

1 - 20 of 208 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.