Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 646 Posts

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
No Wiggleys allowed! - Seems the £30m mixed use scheme at Holloway Head is picking up momentum. Still adament its going to rival beetham and Cube and continue to mention the word "tower" :nuts:

·
SSC Geek
2,795 Posts
Sorry, I'm a bit behind on this one. Is it going to fill the 4th corner of Holloway Circus?

·
SSC Geek
2,795 Posts
So we could see a cluster of sorts developing around here? :) Tower would be very nice, but is this one of the council's suggested locations for one?

·
Registered
14,982 Posts
For anyone who knows Birmingham university. There is a large dome with two smaller domes on one side and one on the other on the Aston Webb building. This is rumour and I guess depends on how they finance it but the current VC wants to leave a legacy; It seems his legacy would be the missing dome to make two domes on each side.

Would be interesting if it happened but depends on money (I dont know if university would justify such grand expense using their money) and whether the VC might find another legacy.

certainly a bit of a vanity project although if done in same brick and as faithfully built as possible would make the building even more impressive.

·
Registered
14,982 Posts
Right, despite floggings insistance the V Tower has gone in for planning app I looked at the planning apps, updated 18th and all I can see so far of anything exciting is:

lication number
C/03619/07/ADV

Date application received
13/06/2007

Date application registered
13/06/2007

Date application decided

4 Bartholomew Row, Curzon House, Birmingham, B5 5JX

Proposal
Display of temporary mesh advertising cover to building prior to and during demolition

Status
Under consideration

Consultation details
Consultations Help

Start date
13/06/2007

End date
09/07/2007

the only thing I could see going on as of today is:
Application number
S/02751/07/FUL

Date application received
08/05/2007

Date application registered
18/06/2007

Date application decided

335 Pershore Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B5 7RY

Proposal
Erection of single storey side and rear extension

Status
Under consideration

Consultation details
Consultations Help

Start date
18/06/2007

End date
03/07/2007

·
Registered
14,982 Posts
Has anyone spotted this before?

http://www.omegasektor.com/home.html

Looks like they are taking up the old Virgin Megastores store. So not sure how long they have if its part of the Martineau Galleries spot.

It is being described as the World's first cyber theme park and also the world's largest gaming centre. Apparently due to open Summer 07.

also,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNx9VmcrrcM

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
Yeh, it was in the press last year! Few articles are spread around the net. Im nto into gaming so I didnt find it that exicting!

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Because I'm bored, tired and very ill right now, I'm going to do the same to you lot and bore you with unnecessary local history. :sleepy:

Scala House stands on the site of Scala Cinema. It was opened on 4 March 1914 and in its earlier days was famous for its 12-piece orchestra. On 4 June 1960, the 859-seat cinema closed and was demolished to make way for the new ring road. A new Scala Cinema was built on the same site.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
BT : someone mentioned £556million replacement for the BT tower...thats an enourmous amount simply for a communication Tower.....on the other hand, if they are thinking of consolidating the switching in the city centre in one building with a tower....that might be about right for costs

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
BT Tower cant stay forever especially with the amount of highrises going up in close proximity! think it will be a few years yet until anything is proposed.

·
Registered
14,982 Posts
Because I'm bored, tired and very ill right now, I'm going to do the same to you lot and bore you with unnecessary local history. :sleepy:

Scala House stands on the site of Scala Cinema. It was opened on 4 March 1914 and in its earlier days was famous for its 12-piece orchestra. On 4 June 1960, the 859-seat cinema closed and was demolished to make way for the new ring road. A new Scala Cinema was built on the same site.
I might need to ask you to find out but im sure Centre City tower had to have a small theatre or cinema when it was built to replace one that was lost. Would that be related?

·
Registered
14,982 Posts
BT Tower cant stay forever especially with the amount of highrises going up in close proximity! think it will be a few years yet until anything is proposed.
What a waste of peoples emotions then announcing the £556m pound propoposed plan. We all get excited and in all honesty wont hear anything for some time, and probably until the Mail has an attempt at journalism to report the story.

: cry:

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
I might need to ask you to find out but im sure Centre City tower had to have a small theatre or cinema when it was built to replace one that was lost. Would that be related?
I don't these two are connected. I think Scala House was a cinema before being converted into a pug-ugly office block. The reason why there is a theatre/ cinema under CCT is because the council said that for it to receive approval it needed to provide a public facility. But the theatre ultimately failed as it was so close to Scala, the Alex and others.

:( I hope that is not the case. I would like to think that with all this investment into the area, the pub would actually see an increase in customers. Plus, the building is listed so whilst the pub may go, which is a shame, the building will not.

1 - 20 of 646 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.