SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· It's Sting. So What?
32,998 Posts
Because I'm bored, tired and very ill right now, I'm going to do the same to you lot and bore you with unnecessary local history. :sleepy:

Scala House stands on the site of Scala Cinema. It was opened on 4 March 1914 and in its earlier days was famous for its 12-piece orchestra. On 4 June 1960, the 859-seat cinema closed and was demolished to make way for the new ring road. A new Scala Cinema was built on the same site.

· It's Sting. So What?
32,998 Posts
I might need to ask you to find out but im sure Centre City tower had to have a small theatre or cinema when it was built to replace one that was lost. Would that be related?
I don't these two are connected. I think Scala House was a cinema before being converted into a pug-ugly office block. The reason why there is a theatre/ cinema under CCT is because the council said that for it to receive approval it needed to provide a public facility. But the theatre ultimately failed as it was so close to Scala, the Alex and others.

:( I hope that is not the case. I would like to think that with all this investment into the area, the pub would actually see an increase in customers. Plus, the building is listed so whilst the pub may go, which is a shame, the building will not.

· It's Sting. So What?
32,998 Posts
How much Lotto cash do we want!? First the park and now the museum. Though saying that, the money is needed and would be very much worth it.

· It's Sting. So What?
32,998 Posts
I'm afraid I can't see anything happening with the Grand Hotel any time soon. :eek:hno:

· It's Sting. So What?
32,998 Posts
:lol: Well-spotted!

I totally agree about the library. What I liked about the Eastside library plans was that everything was available to see. It was a cramped warehouse-like building. You even got natural light. Missed opportunity... :eek:hno:

· It's Sting. So What?
32,998 Posts
We had a sprinkle last night whilst I was watching A Pint of Lager but that was it. I like our varied weather - it gives us something to talk about during our construction dry patches :)

· It's Sting. So What?
32,998 Posts
I want to go on the tunnel tour but I can't go. :(

· It's Sting. So What?
32,998 Posts
:deadthrea

· It's Sting. So What?
32,998 Posts
^^It's a bit late now. Stage one was supposed to be finished by June 15th :|

· It's Sting. So What?
32,998 Posts
Happy birthday MSP! :pepper:

My God the weather's dire here.

· It's Sting. So What?
32,998 Posts
Is it me or does Manchester have a rather annoying habit of copying Brum. First Birmingham had a german chrsitmas market and now Manchester has one, then Birmingham had its big wheel in centenary square and now Manchester has one and NOW i have found out that due to Birmingham already having a summer beach at the bullring and another one planned, Manchester is also going to have a beach in its city centre. All i can say is that the authorities in Manchester obviously feel that Birminghams attractions will take something away from them, just a thought?????
There were wheels all over the country. Manchester had a beach before us as well. So they aren't copying us, we just both have the same ideas. :)

Oh i forgot, also Birmingham built a Beetham tower first as well and guess what Manchester also has one.
Both Beethams were built by one company. They also built one in Liverpool and are building another. By no means did they copy us. Both were under construction at the same time, ours was just finished a few months before theirs.

· It's Sting. So What?
32,998 Posts
Aww. Memories? I got told off by the zookeeper for scaring one of the seals or something with the flash on my camera :(.

· It's Sting. So What?
32,998 Posts
The secrets of Telfordboy's childhood are beginning to surface... :shifty:

· It's Sting. So What?
32,998 Posts
:hilarious I bet you have some skeletons in your closet too, Bio. ;)

· It's Sting. So What?
32,998 Posts
^^ :shocked: That smiley should have a guidance rating!

There's no room in my closet for skeletons. They're under the bed.
I don't want to know what's in your closet then!

· It's Sting. So What?
32,998 Posts
There's been so many problems with that parking system. The computer crashed at one point and residents weren't able to park there or retrieve their cars.:eek:hno:

I went into Brum today to get some pics and should be posting them up later.

· It's Sting. So What?
32,998 Posts
Curzon Gate is now onto the 6th floor:

· It's Sting. So What?
32,998 Posts
Nice! Thanks alot for them brummad! :eek:kay: :happy:

· It's Sting. So What?
32,998 Posts
^^We discussed it earlier :). It's a pain in the arse when it breaks down. It's happened a few times now :eek:hno:.

· It's Sting. So What?
32,998 Posts
Looks pretty fab! So we might be seeing 3 5* hotels in the Midlands by 2015. Nice!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.