SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 646 Posts

· Registered
1,859 Posts
£10m lottery bid for museum revamp

BIRMINGHAM'S civic leaders are set to make a £10m bid for lottery money to transform the city's museum and art gallery.

Council bosses want £9.7m of Lotto cash to pay for their ambitious plans to redevelop and restore the Chamberlain Square building for the next 20 years.

The scheme proposes the creation of new local history galleries and major renovations to the roof - which was badly damaged by German bombs in the Second World War.

Councillors are expected to back a report that sets out £13.4m of improvements at the museum, including a £2.7m contribution from the city's council tax payers.

Councillor Ray Hassall said: "This essential work to one of the city's most notable buildings will help to ensure its long-term future whilst providing residents and visitors with 1,000 sq m of renovated, top quality galleries which will tell the story of Birmingham from the earliest times to 1945 and beyond."

· It's Sting. So What?
33,094 Posts
How much Lotto cash do we want!? First the park and now the museum. Though saying that, the money is needed and would be very much worth it.

· It's Sting. So What?
33,094 Posts
I'm afraid I can't see anything happening with the Grand Hotel any time soon. :eek:hno:

· Banned
4,932 Posts
The amount of stuff they have hidden away in the library they need to build a whole new museum. Not kidding but it would rival anything in the world, well in my oppinion anyway as far as writings and paitings go!

· Registered
5,899 Posts
:( I hope that is not the case. I would like to think that with all this investment into the area, the pub would actually see an increase in customers. Plus, the building is listed so whilst the pub may go, which is a shame, the building will not.
I drink in there quite regularly and I can't see it going. It's not quite the Barton Arms but it's still very impressive inside with lots of original tiles and cut glass.

· Brummie on Tour
596 Posts

· ENTJ 8w9
14,496 Posts
The amount of stuff they have hidden away in the library they need to build a whole new museum. Not kidding but it would rival anything in the world, well in my opinion anyway as far as writings and paintings go!
Haven't we got the 4th or 5th (?) largest library in the world, an also the highest footfall?

· ex-pat Brummie
6,434 Posts
The amount of stuff they have hidden away in the library they need to build a whole new museum. Not kidding but it would rival anything in the world, well in my oppinion anyway as far as writings and paitings go!
You're right FM, some of the literary archives are apparently fantastic.

But unfortunately they are all hidden away.:eek:hno:

If we had the money for a building to properly house and display them it would be a real asset to the city - from what I understand it could really be the "world" in Whitby's "world class".

It wouldn't even have to be big enough to display all of it all the time. They could change and rotate the exhibitions to make best use and increase footfall.:)

· Second Citizen
16,832 Posts
Is this a premonition? (From BCC):

Mike Whitby elected to lead City Region

Press Release Details

Summary Leader of Birmingham City Council, Mike Whitby, has been elected as the Chairman of the Birmingham, Coventry and Black Country City Region.

Reference Number 9823
Press contact Simon Houltby
Issue Date 16 March 2008

A partnership between Birmingham, Coventry, Dudley, Sandwell, Solihull, Telford, Walsall and Wolverhampton councils, the city region represents the interests of residents and businesses in all eight areas on a national stage and also comprises the West Midlands Regional Assembly, Advantage West Midlands, the regional Learning and Skills Council, and the business community.

Commenting on his appointment Cllr Whitby said: “This appointment is confirmation of Birmingham’s status at the forefront of regional, national and international politics.

“Coming together provides all the partners with a national platform to promote the status and interests of the city region. This work is crucial if we are to further develop the international status of the region.

“We will work to increase business competitiveness and individual and family prosperity in the West Midlands and beyond. The partnership between the local authorities, learning and business, will work to raise skill levels, boost economic development and investment, enhance the quality of housing, and improve our transport infrastructures and services.

“Our joint working is already benefiting residents in the 55 most deprived wards within the eight local authority areas, assisting them to find and maintain employment through the city strategy pathfinder.”

Councillor David Smith, Chair of the West Midlands Regional Assembly, has been appointed vice chair of the board.

ENDS

For more information please contact Simon Murphy, City region Project Director, on 07710 782256 or 0121 678 1076.

· It's Sting. So What?
33,094 Posts
:lol: Well-spotted!

I totally agree about the library. What I liked about the Eastside library plans was that everything was available to see. It was a cramped warehouse-like building. You even got natural light. Missed opportunity... :eek:hno:

· SSC Geek
2,782 Posts
But that's what Greater Birmingham means, Birmingham itself and the places around it :) And besides, you've got it as part of your location.

21 - 40 of 646 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.