Official Birmingham Thread 19

51330 Views 645 Replies 67 Participants Last post by  feltip
a new round up is needed...
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 646 Posts
You mean BDSSSTW?

Sure I forgot one letter.

If we have Greater Birmingham, we need an elected mayor (Martin or Sir Digby) ad a region in similar size to Greater Manchester. Needs to cover Shrewsbury, Telford, Stafford, Solihul, Warwick etc.
BCBCCR doesn't exactly roll off the tongue
Or we could have a city region covering Gtr Birm, AND regional governance for the entire WM.
I feared the worst when I quickly scanned the following headline.I'm really happy that shops like these (one of my favourites) can still survive.

Comic store celebrates 30 years in businessJun 19 2007
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
By Neil Elkes, Birmingham Mail

WHAT started as a racket for dealing cut price US army surplus comics and became a Birmingham institution celebrates its 30th anniversary this month.

The Nostalgia and Comics store is a landmark among comic and cult television fans and collectors from all over Britain.

More from the article
http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk...objectid=19319095&siteid=50002-name_page.html
Architecture Week 2007

Architecture Week has come round again and there seems to be much more going on than last year. There's way too much to list individually but along with Open Practice you can get a sneak preview of the Town Hall. Hurrah

Can't find an easy to read list of the events, so I've uploaded the one they sent me on rapid share

http://www.architectureweek.org.uk/regional07.asp?region=11

http://rs49.rapidshare.com/files/38197815/Architecture_Week_B.pdf
i cant seem to download it :eek:hno:
Is the Midlands the worst affected area in the UK for weather.

Just no stopping us - Tornado's, flash floods, heavy snowfall ... all we need now is a tropical storm.

Flash floods 'worst in a decade'

A clear-up operation is set to begin after heavy rain caused flash-flooding chaos that left people trapped in cars and their homes.
Hereford and Worcester Fire Service took 300 calls in just a few hours.

At Hampton Loade in Shropshire, rain washed away the main village road, leaving people trapped in their homes.

Householder Godfrey Churchill said: "A huge section of road has gone. One van is buried in rubble. It'll take weeks to repair the road and we're stuck."

"It was the most amazing speed of flooding that we've had since the great Easter flood of 1999," a fire spokesman said.

Marooned

He said the worst-affected area was in north-west Worcestershire, where several people had to be rescued.

Motorists were left stranded in their cars, in the Tenbury Wells area, and rising waters trapped mobile homeowners on a caravan site in Far Forest.

A coastguard helicopter, from Raf Kinloss was called in after the owner of a mill in Astley, near Stourport-on-Severn, became marooned when a brook was transformed into fast-moving water.

However, the waters receded before the helicopter arrived, and firefighters were able to reach the man and his dog to help them to safety.

"We also had to rescue a 92-year-old man and his 13-year-old grand-daughter from a cottage in the grounds of nearby Witley Court, because of rising floodwaters," said the fire spokesman.

"Fortunately the helicopter was not needed for any rescues, but it did do a search of the area."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can only draw consolation from the fact Birmingham is so far above sea level...
The surroundign rivers also have a part to play as do the the numerous hill ranges that condense the heat futher. You see it on the news, pershore/worcester/birmingham hottest place - worst affected snow areas - flash floods - and of course our claim to be the tornado alley of the UK!
And how is this relevant to architecture?
Roads, bridges have been swept away, a tornado if you didnt know damaged hundreds of houses - quite a bit considering architecture is built to withstand the WEATHER!
Although the region often has a very hot national temperature it is infact much cooler than it should be for a conurbation in the centre of a land mass. The reason is all the trees which help to lower temperature.

More than that Floggy about withstanding the weather crudely. Its about buildings fit for purpose and being able to expand and contract materials wise in hot and cold.

The heating of cities will get worse as office A finds it hot and sticks in air conditioning which warms up the area and so office B does the same and before long everyone has cooled their offices but heated up the surrounding environment.

I think it is crucial for planners and designers and architects to think on the reality of their buildings and impact on local weather systems. They do it with towers and wind surveys and sun/shade survey and potential flooding problems.

The impact of hot and cold going to be particularly bad for cities and London here is prime example built on clay. Cracks and subsidence going to become substantially worse.

Plus rising water table levels and its all quite a headache.
We didn't have any major rain last night, but looking over to the west it was pitch black - no individual clouds just an extremely dark sky. And it just so happens that Shropshire, Worcestershire and Herefordshire got the worst of it.
We had a sprinkle last night whilst I was watching A Pint of Lager but that was it. I like our varied weather - it gives us something to talk about during our construction dry patches :)
You need to go to the HTML page and then follow the link for free user and then choose which server, enter a code and choose download.

Not just a right click and download page.

p.s. anyone going to the Town Hall tonight. If so and you are allowed to could you get some pictures.

Ive booked my tunnel tour for sunday. Im very excited.
I watch that sometimes too, you can hardly miss it - it always seems to be on BBC Three. It's a bit chavvy at times but amusing with it. :yes:
We had a sprinkle last night whilst I was watching A Pint of Lager but that was it. I like our varied weather - it gives us something to talk about during our construction dry patches :)
:eek:hno:

Landslides close Severn Valley railwayJun 20 2007

Severe flooding caused by last night’s exceptionally heavy rain has shut down large sections of a historic steam railway.

Two-thirds of the Severn Valley Railway in Shropshire and Worcestershire were closed when two weeks’ worth of rain fell in 45 minutes, causing landslides which blocked sections of track.

In some places, embankments were washed away completely, leaving the rails suspended in mid-air.

John Leach, the railway’s marketing manager, said the impact of the flooding was not yet clear.

"We’re still assessing the damage, but it’s going to be some days before we can open the line to Bridgnorth," he said. "We’ve had flooding before, but never anything on this scale. The noise of the rain last night was phenomenal.

"I live on top of a hill nearby and could see it all, there were three storms that came together, and I could see three separate forks of lightning hit the ground at once."

Mr Leach said trains were still running between Kidderminster and Bewdley, but the line north of Arley would be closed for some days.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

The flooding comes just as the railway was gearing up for its busy summer period, and Mr Leach said a planned "1940s weekend" was now in doubt.

The Severn Valley Railway runs regular passenger trains pulled by steam locomotives between Kidderminster in Worcestershire and Bridgnorth in Shropshire.

At one point on its route the track crosses the River Severn via the 200-foot single span Victoria Bridge, which featured in the film The 39 Steps.
I want to go on the tunnel tour but I can't go. :(
Its cool reading the article, because we already have a forbidden planet store they were allowed to keep their name and also they have quite an independent store ideal still despite being part of the chain.

The Hotel plan on constitution hill has a planning committee report online now:
http://80.86.36.120/vault/XDDocStor...port 90-104 Constitution Hill C0200607FUL.pdf

Also a document going into planning committee document on additions to the Locally Listed building list. Quite a few in Digbeth and one in Northfield and Sutton Coldfield.
http://80.86.36.120/vault/XDDocStore_7/0219103_APPENDIX Proposed Addition Listing.pdf

also:

Second plan submitted for student flats
Jun 20 2007

By Joanna Geary, Business Staff

Student accommodation provider Unite is to resubmit plans for a £30 million development in Selly Oak within the next few days.

UK property director Tim Mitchell said new proposals for the joint project with Cala Homes would be submitted to planners "imminently".

The scheme, at the former bus depot on Elliott Road, was rejected by the council last year on grounds that it would be "to the detriment of the character and appearance of the area".

But Mr Mitchell, who was visiting Unite's properties in Birmingham, said he was confident the new proposals for the 330-bed student accommodation would satisfy the council.

He said: "It has been a challenging site, but we have had a hugely enjoyable planning process and worked very closely with the city council's planning team.

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk...objectid=19327351&siteid=50002-name_page.html

AND

Battle for supermarket custom hots upJun 20 2007
Jun 20 2007

STORE wars are set to break out in Birmingham after supermarket giant Asda revealed it is targeting sites in the south of the city - including Longbridge.

The American-owned giant is eyeing up options as it looks to compete with rivals already established in the area - and the famous former car factory is on its radar.

The company currently owns 11 supermarkets to the north of the city centre, four of them within Birmingham, employing more than 3,545 people.

Sainsbury's is currently the dominant supermarket in south Birmingham with seven major stores including flagship outlets in Maypole and Northfield.

Morrisons is the second largest retailer with four stores at Rubery, Small Heath and two in Solihull.

Tesco has supermarkets in Sheldon and Quinton while Midlands Co-op has a super-store in Stirchley.

If Asda muscles into Long-bridge, development experts hope the high-profile name would help kick-start the rise from the ashes of the former car factory.

A new era for the world-famous industrial site has already begun with the launch of The Innovation Centre, part of the first phase of the 40-acre Longbridge technology park developed by Quinton-based St Modwen Properties in partner-ship with Advantage West Midlands.

The technology park marks the first of a range of major new developments planned by St Modwen for the 340-acre former car works site, with hopes for up to 10,000 jobs on completion of the mixed-use plans.

An Asda spokeswoman said: "Asda is currently examining whether south Birmingham is under-represented in terms of food retail provision and what

opportunities there may be in that area to work alongside and enhance the existing retail offer."

The news emerged as Asda announced that it is the first major retailer to become a patron of Birmingham Chamber of Commerce.

The company, which is owned by American Wal-Mart, said the decision was aimed at emphasising its "commitment to the city".

"As a patron member, Asda is looking forward to working with the Birmingham chamber."

"The chamber's mission to build a better and brighter Birmingham is one which Asda embraces. Our existing store network is already actively involved in the region and we will look at how we can bring further benefit Birmingham."

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk...objectid=19326543&siteid=50002-name_page.html
The lack of heavy industry, which used to draw water from its own boreholes, means that in places like Cov and Brum the water table has risen.
Boreholes... Is that where wiggley came from? :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist! I'll crawl back to where I came from now.
The lack of heavy industry, which used to draw water from its own boreholes, means that in places like Cov and Brum the water table has risen.
41 - 60 of 646 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.