SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1430 Posts

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Official Leeds Thread 3 was getting rather large with nigh on 800 posts, so I thought to mark the occasion of a new thread I'd start with a photo of quite possibly the most eagerly anticipated retail opening since Subway opened its 5th franchise in the city centre. Here it is team - Primark! Huzzah! More to the point, an excellent clean up and conversion of the decrepit Odeon Cinema.

CAW123 or Goth - could you be dears and stickify yonder new thread. Cheers.

·
Registered
29,705 Posts
A few things:
that's a Christmas Light I spot there! Christmas in Leeds is simply an experience that can't be missed! Anyone know the lights turn on- I might pop along! the website has it for last year...

I went into Primark on the first weekend of opening and it was packed. It is certainly a great addition to the Leeds shopping scene and will prove popular. People have been talking about how good it is here, and keep saying 'its huge, and its so cheap' and whatever. So its a really good store, and I'm sure will continue to do well. Its opened just at the right time before Christmas too.

When will Briggate repaving be complete?

The Headrow needs resurfacing, but Primark has improved the look of the street there. I look forward to welcoming some more high street names to the Headrow. PC World is opening in Cavendish House, opposite Dortmund Square, and as we know Allders is getting split up with new shops bound to open. A revived Headrow will certainly improve the Leeds shopping scene immensly IMO.

·
Registered
29,705 Posts
Yes I agee, however I do think it is the case that another city centre cinema would be good in Leeds, although The Light is good.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wasn't sure where to post this because the Leeds Skyline thread seems to have disappeared. Anyone know where its gone? Anyway, here's a view from Water Lane across to Whitehall Road and West Point. Hopefully three years will bring the Providence Tower, Mayfair and West Points twin glass towers to the party.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From from Clarence Dock's carpark across to Trinity 1, Gateway and Roberts Wharf. Lots of activity down East Street.

·
Registered
29,705 Posts
PHOTO oppurtunity!:

Lord Mayor’s Open Day, 16th October 2005 10.00am-4.00pm

Don’t miss the Lord Mayor’s Town Hall Open Day to celebrate the re-opening of Leeds Town Hall. Come and meet characters from Leeds past including a Victorian Magistrate; Cuthbert Brodrick - the architect who designed the Town Hall and Charlie Peace - one of Leeds most notorious criminals.

You can visit the court room where until 1992 convicts were tried, and then you can venture into the Victorian cells right under the Town Hall steps, where many prisoners were held before their journey to Armley gaol and the gallows.

The very bold can even climb the three hundred and twenty steps to the top of the clock tower and be rewarded by an unrivalled panoramic view of the city - the most fantastic that Leeds has to offer.

Then you can relax and enjoy a variety of entertainments and activities - you can even have afternoon tea with the Lady Mayoress.

Tickets are free, but contributions to the Lord Mayor’s charities will be welcome

www.leeds.gov.uk

·
^ Xbox GT: ^
2,379 Posts
All the guys/gals going to Old Trafford tomorrow for the Engage Super League
final between Bradford Bulls and Leeds Rhinos, have a good time and may the best team win. :)

·
Registered
12,156 Posts
Leeds No.1 said:
Come and meet characters from Leeds past including a Victorian Magistrate; Cuthbert Brodrick - the architect who designed the Town Hall
...and Councillor Mark Harris, who will quote from The Waste Land within a large diving suit, as Keith Wakefield hands out teacups, brim full with string!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Liam said:
Indeed it does......could you let me know whereabouts on the BBC website you got that?

Cheers
If you ever want to know where a photo/image has come from, hit the quote button and the URL should be available to view.

1 - 20 of 1430 Posts