SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 12114 Posts

·
Registered
29,144 Posts
I notice a decreasing amount of chavs, in the city centre anyway; but a rise in the emo population. Its like a mass chavmo population. But emo over chav any day. Lets be fair; Leeds' chavs dont rate like Glasgow's Easterhouse, Newcastle, Salford, Liverpool and East London's chavs! Theres more chavs in Harrogate centre- I think theyre attracting by the likes of cheapo shops opposed to the more upper class/high street shops of Leeds.

·
Registered
314 Posts
what are you on about leeds no 1 mate the chavs in leeds rate just as mad and bad as any othe rmajor city dude, get your self down holton moor mate and see exactly what they are like mate!!!!

because leeds is a great place to live and to spend time,and the people are on the whole nice and friendly with the dales and the moors just a stones throw away ect.....

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Leeds No.1 said:
I notice a decreasing amount of chavs, in the city centre anyway; but a rise in the emo population. Its like a mass chavmo population. But emo over chav any day. Lets be fair; Leeds' chavs dont rate like Glasgow's Easterhouse, Newcastle, Salford, Liverpool and East London's chavs! Theres more chavs in Harrogate centre- I think theyre attracting by the likes of cheapo shops opposed to the more upper class/high street shops of Leeds.
Am I out of touch because I don't have any idea what you're saying here? What is the "emo population" you refer to?

·
Registered
370 Posts
The new leeds co-op has opened at west point, as good range of basics but not enough to do weekly shop. A good addition but were are the nationals?

·
Registered
23 Posts
ahmedd said:
The new leeds co-op has opened at west point, as good range of basics but not enough to do weekly shop. A good addition but were are the nationals?
there used to be a great new safeway near west riding house, morrisons had that shut down straight away though

·
Registered
29,144 Posts
Emo= short for emotional ie people who wear tight black jeans and all black, many of which gather outside the CornX and who you see around that part of town.

No they really dont. Real chavs are not as common as people want to make out- many just follow the fashion and are labelled. Real chavs vandalise, bully (eg happy slapping), and generally do no good in the world- theres loads of people who look like chavs in Harrogate, but there are few real chavs- if there were lots, it would be a dump. Chav population often follows the trend of how wealthy an area is too, for obvious reasons. And Leeds is a generally wealthy city; the poorest parts do not compare to the poorest parts of other cities (Gipton or Harehills probably the worst?). Anyway it doesnt matter- but its annoying when people say places are full of chavs; because sometimes they are, but they dont realise theyre also full of other people- Leeds is full of snobs from the northern parts, as well as emos as I say, and 'normal' students, and just average day to day people. There are far more 'non chavs' than chavs. And there are far more good points to Leeds (and other places) than bad. But I suppose its human nature to exaggerate things (ie complain to get more through greed). =/ anyway. moving on..

Since when have any convenience stores been enough to do a full weekly shop? Cant expect a flipping supermarket in the city centre, other than the ones that are there already. Well Morrisons.

·
Registered
349 Posts
oootle said:
there used to be a great new safeway near west riding house, morrisons had that shut down straight away though
New? Near? It was quite old and was in the podium block of West Riding House.

Edit: I hate computer chat. I'm saying this in a nice way BTW. :)

·
Děkuji, a Dobrou Noc!
150 Posts
Leeds No.1 said:
Well Morrisons.
I think you've just coined a new chav catch phrase there.

"That's well Morrisons, that is" :D

·
Registered
29,144 Posts
Whats computer chat? Also, I meant 'well Morrisons' as in well, Morrisons (ie it is the only city centre supermarket!); but if you must!

·
6,601 Posts
Leeds No.1 said:
Emo= short for emotional ie people who wear tight black jeans and all black, many of which gather outside the CornX and who you see around that part of town.
They're normally just refered to as goths, aren't they ? Why do they get the name 'emotional' ?

·
Registered
29,144 Posts
Well its all very complicated! Emos are like a variation of goths, bit different- goths tend to be all black, baggy, and not necessarily depressed. Emo (short for emotional) are supposedley depressed and wear tight dark clothes; not baggy.

An outside defenition from an MSN contact:
emo...Enjoy emotional music and wear black clothes, skinny jeans and make up.
Goth... Wears black clothes likes gothic music (as opposed to emo music like anthrax)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Emos sometimes wear contrasting colours as well as black. Pink is quite popular, for example, especially among the girls. Goths usually just wear all black and are very fond of horror stuff as you would expect.

·
Registered
725 Posts
emo

A group of white, mostly middle-class well-off kids who find imperfections in there life and create a ridiculous, depressing melodrama around each one. They often take anti-depressants, even though the majority don't need them. They need to wake up and deal with life like everyone else instead of wallowing in their imaginary quagmire of torment.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=emo

·
Registered
11,911 Posts
A group of white, mostly middle-class well-off kids who find imperfections in there life and create a ridiculous, depressing melodrama around each one. They often take anti-depressants, even though the majority don't need them. They need to wake up and deal with life like everyone else instead of wallowing in their imaginary quagmire of torment.
Who'd have thought? I was an emo all this time, and never knew it!

This is a fragment from a bigger article in today's Observer.

Building a bolder future
Deyan Sudjic, the Observer

Sunday August 20, 2006
The Observer

Britain's burst of high-profile architecture has spilled across the whole country, from the Eden Centre in Cornwall to the transformation of both banks of the Tyne with the Baltic Gallery and Norman Foster's concert halls in Newcastle. Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Birmingham and Leeds have all started being interested in building skyscrapers.
I liked the idea of different architects being commissioned to design different shops in Tokyo for individual clients (eg. Prada, Hermes, Tods, Dior). Got me thinking about the Eastgate Quarter. It would be pretty cool if different retailers had a bitchy fashion-world catfight over who could design the most impressive store, similar to the one that produced the fantastic 19th century banks on Park Row.

(Prada in Tokyo)

Or maybe I should just wake up and deal with life. Leeds isn;t Tokyo after all. :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hyde Park Picture House

Just received this e-mail. I thought there might be a few people on here who could help them out, especially with the old photos bit.

Dear All,

As a customer of the Hyde Park Picture House you already know how special a place it is. The more time passes the more unusual it is to find an
independent cinema like the Hyde Park as it is one of a dying breed.

In November the Picture House will turn 92 and I feel it is important to
take the time to start to record her history in a more thorough way than has been done in the past. As part of this new history gathering project myself and Kat Garcia, are asking people to contribute a little bit of their time to share with us any special memories they have of the Picture House.

Ultimately we are hoping to put together a book detailing the Picture Houses history both from an historical point of view and a personal one. We will be holding an open house at the Picture House this Wednesday from 5:30 until 7:30 where you can drop by and talk to us in person.

Alternatively maybe you could write your memory down for us and email it to this address or drop it in at the cinema. Maybe you have a photo or some other bit of paraphernalia connected to the Picture House and we would be honored if you would let us create a copy of it.

We need word of mouth to help us on this project as we try to find the great tales people have about the Picture House so even if you don’t have anything you want to share with us maybe you know someone else who does and you could help put us in touch with them.

We appreciate any help you can give us with this project.

Yours faithfully,

Wendy Cook

Administrator

Front of House

HYDE PARK PICTURE HOUSE

0113 275 2045

[email protected]

www.hydeparkpicturehouse.co.uk

·
Registered
11,911 Posts
Naboo said:
Just received this e-mail. I thought there might be a few people on here who could help them out, especially with the old photos bit.
Couldn't find anything on Leodis I'm afraid, but I know the David Hare film 'Wetherby' includes a scene in which Joely Richardson walks past the exterior.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090310/

While I think it's great to have an old-school cinema still functioning as it used to, I feel the HPPH is one of the things that is preventing Leeds from getting a proper PictureHouse cinema. Even a little Wetherby-sized town like Stratford-upon-Avon has one, so why can't a big and important city like Leeds?

1 - 20 of 12114 Posts