Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks. I hadn't seen this article yet. I think some of those who post (or largely lurk, like me) are probably Numelders rather than Numtots, though. :lol:

I think I would never have got interested in public transport if I hadn't lost my eyesight and with it my ability to drive in my 20s (3 decades ago now). But I'm glad I did, I'm sure it's going to have to be the future. Metrolink has been an exciting example of what can happen if some people in a city region are really determined to realise a vision, and are sufficiently persistent.

Now back to arguing with my Edinburgh relatives who drive (elderly) and cycle (middle-aged) but hate the tram...

·
Administrator
30,223 Posts
The year is 2025. There are no cars, only public transport and bicycles. Four-lane highways have been replaced by bike paths. Pedestrians share the pavements with cyclists. The air is clean (because the buses are electric), and the living is easy.
If this means that in 2025, there are no rainy or snowy days any more, metros run all the way to the golf club, someone else will take care all of my transport which involves heavy lifting for free and public transport delays and maintenance has become a thing of the past, then, by all means, sign me up!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Just like the Official Manchester Thread 14 this thread will be where you can post information and articles about transport and funding without having to set up an unwanted thread just to post an article. We'll start with the article above.

Cheers

AJD1984

·
Chris W
1,588 Posts
Do you mean just rename the General Thread?

I would agree with that.

As far as I remember, several years ago the general thread was designed to cover every mode of transport bar Metrolink - hence its title. It contained bus and train information all jumbled up which as a nightmare if you were interested in one mode and not the other.

As several railway issues and projects started up, separate threads were established and the rump of the general thread has de-facto become a discussion about buses which never had a separate thread. There is an important issue with a potential re-regulation coming up which people are already talking about.

Therefore I would fully support the re-naming of the general thread to buses.

CW

·
Read Only
0 Posts
TfGM opens survey on future plans

The online ‘conversation’ launched by Transport for Greater Manchester aims to generate feedback which will shape the draft City Centre Transport Strategy to be implemented from 2020.

The survey, conducted by TfGM on behalf of Manchester City Council and Salford City Council provides those who know the city best with an opportunity to tell transport planners what they think should be done to improve travel in the city for the coming decade.

Future plans could include major infrastructure changes such as a transformed Piccadilly station ready for the arrival of HS2, as well as a possible Metrolink tunnel under the city and higher quality pedestrian areas with better air quality for cyclists, pedestrians and people with disabilities.

There are also additional bus priority measures, as well as creating “streets for all” that will cater for people from all walks of life and needs.

TfGM suggests that over the next 20 years, city centre employment levels will rise to around 270,000 jobs, with up to 100,000 city centre residents.

With over seven million people living with in a one-hour commute, new and innovative transport solutions are essential to support the long-term growth of Manchester, TfGM said.

TfGM’s key aims are: “ensuring the transport network is fit for the future making travel into and around the city centre as easy as possible by delivering a truly integrated transport network that accommodates growth without increasing traffic.”

The survey includes questions surrounding various modes of transport commonly used in and around the city, and asks for opinions on how they could be improved and adapted.
https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/tfgm-opens-survey-on-future-plans/

Survey

·
Registered
11,638 Posts
I suspect the point is to make sure that the transport interventions that are developed serve to integrate these areas to the same standards/convenience of the existing city centre. However it does seem slightly odd to consider the impact of parking and traffic on other neighbouring areas (e.g. most of Hulme, Ardwick) but not consider how to better integrate those areas too. Personally I think a regional centre strategy would be a better idea than one so narrowly focussed.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts