Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In response to suggestions from others, I've decided to start a new thread for discussions about Metrorail expansion, mostly hypothetical in scope, to separate future discussions about possible routes from discussions about actual & officially-planned routes (which would still go in the official "Transportation" thread).

With that, I'll start with a link to the Google Maps mashup I've been working on. To make it easier to access, I've changed its URL, and it can now be found at http://www.go-canes.com/metrorail (/index.php3, which loads by default, as opposed to /map.html, which it formerly was).

At this point, the map is mostly complete with respect to my proposed MIC-South Beach extension.

It shows two possible alignments between the causeway and country club:

* One puts a station south of Mt. Sinai in a location that's dreadful, but logistically cheap and easy to build

* The other puts a station with one portal at the the intersection of Alton Road & Arthur Godfrey Road, and another at the intersection of Alton Road and Mt. Sinai Hospital Road (with the portal itself probably located west of Alton so pedestrians wouldn't have to cross the street). The second alternative would put the station in a much better location, but might cost more than it's worth unless the difference in convenience were enough to genuinely attract pedestrian riders from 1/2 to 1 mile away (directly east, at the beach itself).

I did a lunchtime recon mission out to that location, and feel a little more confident that it might be viable. There's a City of Miami Beach parking lot near the northeast corner of Alton & Godfrey, and the proposed track route around the outer perimeter of Mt. Sinai Hospital looks do-able. The path between Alton and the perimeter is fairly wide, so there ought to be plenty of room to excavate a 30 foot wide tunnel without rendering any part of the hospital parking lot inaccessible during construction. Also, the homes along Alton Road above the proposed station have fairly deep front yards, so there should also be plenty of room to build a pair of temporary driveway-like one-way northbound roads alongside the station pit during construction. The residents won't be thrilled, but if they were paid around $25,000 apiece for the inconvenience and fully compensated for the cost of replacing damaged landscaping, I think they'd be reasonably pacified. Likewise, it looks like the four houses alongside the eastern edge of the Alton Road Bridge over the canal would have to be purchased for several million dollars... but the good news is that most of the cost is attributable to land costs. Once MDTA is finished with construction, it could turn around and sell off the lots to a developer (retaining a permanent easement to the tunnel's path), and probably recover at least half of the eminent domain acquisition cost.

One cost-saving benefit that might not be obvious: most of the stations won't need parking garages. Specifically, the Midtown and Lincoln Road stations would both be adjacent to large public parking garages. The Flamingo and Fifth Street stations don't need garages at all, because nearly every inch of South Beach south of 15th Street would be less than a half mile's walk away from one of the stations. In almost any fathomable case, it would take longer to drive and park than it would take to just walk to the station to begin with. In a worst-case situation, there's abundant room below adjacent Flamingo Park to build an underground garage (say, below the tennis courts). The only challenging station would be Godfrey Station, because it WOULD probably attract a sizeable number of park & ride passengers, and there's not much room adjacent to the station for a large garage. If necessary, I suppose the station could be dug an extra ~18 feet deeper, and its entire ceiling used as an underground parking deck below the street above.

If it's not obvious from the map, all track east of Alton Road is fully underground, including the part that would run along the edge of the golf course. On my lunch trip, I looked THERE as well... and was delighted to see plenty of room to dig the tunnel between the road and active golfing area along nearly the entire length. The only two snags would be the parking lot, which would have to be temporarily relocated a few hundred feet north or south while the tunnel were being excavated below it, and the part near the southern end where the track would cut across to Meridian. I'm confident that both could be worked around without major inconvenience to the golfers.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
is it going to be expanded or what?
Yes and no.

A very small (but important) link connecting the system---indirectly---to the airport will be built.

A North extension to Dolphin Stadium and the Broward County line is probable, although not guaranteed as of yet. It would most likely be completed by 2012 or so.

Anything else is unlikely anytime soon due to funding realities.

The purpose of threads like this is to come up with hypothetical expansions that we'd all like to see, regardless of how unrealistic they may be. The "transportation" thread deals more with actualities (which ain't a whole lot, sad to say).

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
With that, I'll start with a link to the Google Maps mashup I've been working on. To make it easier to access, I've changed its URL, and it can now be found at http://www.go-canes.com/metrorail (/index.php3, which loads by default, as opposed to /map.html, which it formerly was).
The map kept disappearing (or re-loading, if that makes any sense) every time I scrolled, canes...so I wish I could offer more input. Still, what I was able to see was terrific work. Man, do I wish the money was there---and people like you were in charge of planning.

There were a few posts recently questioning whether Miami even needed a kickass Metro because of the region's total reliance on cars and the infrastructure built around it---and I have to say there was some validity to that point much as I hate to admit it---but it's still nice to at least dream of a BETTER alternative. Maybe someday....

Anyway, on a completely unrelated note did you watch (or endure) the Hurricanes game yesterday? Holy crap. I had to change the channel by the 4th quarter. I know it's completely unrealistic to expect the program to be at the level it once was, but still....they got bitch-slapped from one end of that field to the other. Ouch.

Hopefully the Dolphins will at least be respectable this year---but that's an iffy prospect as well right now.

Man, whatever happened to Miami football? I want to get back to winning. :cheers:

·
Registered
936 Posts
So the FIU extension has no chance of getting built? From that map you made, theres about 20 blocks going west, and another 20 going south. That seems a bit reasonable. Wasn't there complains from the city of Sweetwater also about building the FIU extension?

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
So the FIU extension has no chance of getting built? From that map you made, theres about 20 blocks going west, and another 20 going south. That seems a bit reasonable. Wasn't there complains from the city of Sweetwater also about building the FIU extension?
305 Lover:) , our friend,

Today's Construction cost rising Market is a " Big " headache to the Miami-dade commission.
Now, there's another delay in the Airport Rail link to the Airport Terminal Super " A " 5 Billion dollar DELAY, still not finished over 10 years project and still another 5 YEAR TO GO till completed !!!:bash: , did you know that the Rail Cars at the Airport have been sitting Ducks for the past 5 years and still sitting there at Concourse A with No where to go ???:bash:

It's true ,. and many county emplyees like me know about it, and many taxpayers don't know how much it's costing them to maintain these Cars with changing the oil and lubricating these rail Cars as they sit looking so pretty in the dark area of Concourse A,
You see , that " MIC " Cee it in my grave " Key ", Why !!!, because we have to build it, or else all that taxpayers money would be lost in the dust.
Which MIC Core was to open 5 years ago,
But, because of 9/11, there are less passengers at the Airport and half the Car rentals dropped out of the 20,000 Car Rental Center part of www.MICDOT.com :nuts:

P/S, everyone,
You can Forget the FIU expansion, maybe by 2025 it could be finally built or maybe under construction to West Miami-Dade instead of the UNWANTED FIU,
and for the North Rail to the Dade county Line exstension , No one's talking about that now, Because of a 40 million OVERCOST for the BIDS to the Airport Rail wich is risinf costs every day , over 250 million now, which was 100 million 10 years ago,
maybe 2020.we'll be lucky if we see the construction by then.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
i wish it did happened :cry: you know i wish miami and the rest of the united states change their mind already

i wish it did happened and it should start happening soon and i mean very soon

·
Registered
185 Posts
i am most interested in connection between south beach and downtown. so tourists from SoBE can come to downtown miami and spend money :)

do you know guys if that is going to happen?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I guess I just remembered wrong. I thought the referendum failed.
You're right though.

"Passing by a far narrower margin was Question No. 1 which asked voters if there should be a light rail streetcar connection between South Beach and Miami. Voting “yes” for the system (estimated to cost $488 million) were 13,718 voters, or 46.84 percent. Voting “no” were 11,456 voters, or 39.12 percent. Another 4,111 voters (14.04 percent) choose not to vote on the question."

·
Registered
185 Posts
Dont blame the voters in Miami Beach, they overwelmingly supported the idea, blame the administration there which overruled the voters.
i guess they want to keep tourist spending money in SoBe and not coming to downtown Miami.

It is crazy that such important Citi has no public transportation in place.

Same would be when Manhattan would be not connected with Brooklyn via subway line.

·
Registered
185 Posts
if brooklyn would be cut off from manhattan like miami is from miami beach, the mayor of NYC would be deported to Russia to learn about subway system.

in NYC something like this can not happen. many people go to work from miami beach to downtown miami and most of them can not afford car. it would be great to have effective rail system in place.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
So what is the MPO's grand plan for Kendall after 2 years of study?....busses.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami_dade/kendall/story/254429.html

KENDALL
Transport blueprint reviewed by board

Plans determining the future of traffic in Kendall will be reviewed Thursday by the Metropolitan Planning Organization governing board.

BY JOSE PAGLIERY
[email protected]
After completing its two-year transit study of the Kendall area, the Metropolitan Planning Organization will present its recommendations Thursday to the MPO governing board.

Their recommendations include:

• A dedicated rapid bus lane along 137th Avenue, from Florida International University to 152nd Street;

• An extension of the Metrorail along Florida's Turnpike, from FIU to 152nd Street;

• A dedicated rapid bus lane along Kendall Drive, from Southwest 97th Avenue west to Southwest 167th Avenue;

• Another dedicated rapid bus lane on Kendall Drive, from 97th Avenue east to Dadeland Station;

• A light-rail commuter train along the CSX railway, from Metrozoo to Kendall Drive, making a right near 97th Avenue. The train would then run on a dedicated rail to Dadeland Station on tracks embedded into Kendall Drive.

The county agency hopes its multifaceted strategy will heal Kendall's clogged traffic arteries.

The average commuter travel time is 39 minutes for the fast-growing suburb, significantly higher than both county and state averages.

In recent months, hundreds of residents have protested the train option at public meetings, citing concerns that traffic congestion would worsen when trains cross major streets.

Others fear that commuter use of the railway would lower the property value of their homes.

Despite protests, officials say the option will remain, as something must be done to cure the clogging.

Although the review of the study is not a public hearing item, residents in the audience may watch as the board decides on the issue.

The MPO board meets in the Commission Chambers, 111 NW 1st St., on Thursday at 2 p.m.

IF YOU GO

• What: MPO governing board votes on Kendall transit study.

• Where: 111 NW First St. Commission Chambers, second floor.

• When: Thursday, 2 p.m

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
So what is the MPO's grand plan for Kendall after 2 years of study?....busses.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami_dade/kendall/story/254429.html
Others fear that commuter use of the railway would lower the property value of their homes.
So what do these residents want then? Do they want to be stuck in traffic 55 hours a year? Perhaps they want a transporter pad installed in everyone's home to beam them to work. I guess your dammed if you do and your dammed if you don't. I always find it frustratingly amusing how everyone complains but offer no viable solution, they simply enjoy the complaining. Wow.
:bash:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts