Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 503 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome aboard :)

Any idea when Dyson House is getting pulled down? And are they shutting off the road running alongside it?

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
Don't know whether its necessary to close down the road. They didn't for sheaf house.

RE: Furnival gate - I'm quite worried by the comments made by Sheffield City Council regarding 23 Furnival Gate. They seem to attribute the 19 storeys towards a 'downtown' style skyline, making out that this tower is somehow a major player height and location terms in Sheffields skyline. Whilst the importance of this tower in terms of bringing confidence to developers is undeniable, we need to go much higher if we want a true 'skyline'. This tower is only a few storeys taller than Redvers House, which I have never thought of as a great pinnacle for a Skyline.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Any building in that general location is going to look deceptively impressive from afar, as it's on a hill.

They're going to have to close the entire road junction for construction, aren't they? Sounds like major disruption.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
No - they can close Union Street and buildit from the south east side, beside Redvers house. If they must close the street, buses will have to go all the way round the moor!

·
Registered
9,009 Posts
Hooray! At last they've given something the nod :banana:

I liked that tower from day one and it will sit well on that part of the skyline until something else surpasses it, that day could well be outside of my lifetime though!

It will dwarf Redvers House somewhat, but then we've always looked down on the council on this thread, so now the residents of the new tower can too - literally :tongue:

Any movement on Castlegate yet?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
dinp said:
Any movement on Castlegate yet?
Went past Castlegate last week and there was about 3 diggers churning the ground up, looks like work has finally begun :cheers:

Also spotted another crane which has appeared around the Kelham Island area, one more and were upto 15 cranes, would this be a record for Sheffield?

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Nice to hear that Sheffield United's Chairman- Kevin Mc Cabe is putting big money into building a 51 storey skyscraper in Leeds ( see Leeds Forum- Venture Tower)

Why could he not look to developing a true skyscraper in his home city?

·
Registered
9,009 Posts
Skychaser 2005 said:
Nice to hear that Sheffield United's Chairman- Kevin Mc Cabe is putting big money into building a 51 storey skyscraper in Leeds ( see Leeds Forum- Venture Tower)

Unless its constructed from solid, gold, it would be rejected thats why

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
I don't think Skychaser meant any malice Capital - just bringing in a few home truths to the board - No one wants to put big money into Sheffield skyscrapers cos they knwo they'd get rejected.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Reading the many Manchester threads induces a massive emotion of envy. Beetham Tower is already a staggering construction and it isn't even finished yet. One thing I did notice, however, aside from how our near-neighbour is light years ahead of Sheffield, is that Manchester doesn't appear to have any clusters either. Beetham Tower appears quite isolated, so why have Manchester eschewed clusters whilst Sheffield holds out for its own version of Manhatten around the top of the Moor?

I'm new around here, so don't shoot me down for being as thick as a whale omlette. It just appears odd to these uneducated eyes. Also, do you think that the rejection of the Conran/City Lofts development will send a signal to potential developers that Sheffield isn't worth the effort, or will they return with improved plans and designs?

In all honesty, in my opinion the 19 storey tower on Furnival Gate appears to be quite ugly and cheap looking. Are there any better images of it circulating around?

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
Doubt it, its beauty lies in what it means for the city - finally a mid rise, although Cala Eclipse was supposed to be 'that' midrise too and thats probably cancelled now after two years of umming and ahring.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Skychaser 2005 said:

cos he's a piggy bastard!

guess which team i support? :)

1 - 20 of 503 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.