SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the area directly west of Union Square like?

Young professionals, students, families? Good restaurants, bars, shopping? Quiet, loud, in between? How expensive?

Why am I asking? I'm flying out to apartment hunt next week; I'll have three roomates, and our best ways to work (respectively) are the 1/9, N/Q, and 4/5/6. The 1 & 9 stop at 14th & 7th and the Q & 5/6 stop at 14th & Broadway.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I live in this area. It is generally considered one of the most highly sought after areas in the city, especially among the young, single, and gay.

South of 14th is the heart of Greenwich Village. North of 14th is considered the Flatiron which abutts Chelsea. There is a great deal of shopping and is a main area for restaurants and clubs. Its probably comparable to the most hopping areas on the north side in Chicago.

If you want anymore details, let me know.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'm not gay. But I'm also not a homophobe, so as long as it's not like San Francisco's Castro neighborhood or Chicago's Boy's Town (where it's hard to find a straight scene), I'm fine with that. I've lived within decent walking distance from the neighborhood that's the center of Chicago's gay community for years.

What is the housing like? How much could I expect to spend for a three bedroom, and are they typically walkups, midrises with elevators, or what?

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is nowhere in NY that is gay as the Castro. Chelsea along 8th Ave. is as gay as it gets here and its still pretty mixed.

There is a huge variety of housing in the area from new highrises to "railroad" apartments in old tenements to typical NY lofts and everything in between. 3 bedrooms apartments are pretty rare and those that are around are generally pretty high-end. Probably around 3600 minimum unless there is a serious drawback to it. You'll find more in the 4000-5000 range. 2 bedrooms are a lot more common and better priced for what you get usually.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ We'd like to cap our rent at $4,000 between us, but if we can find something in that $3,600-$4,000 range I'm happy. It's three investment banking analysts sharing an apartment, so salaries are decent for young guys but schedules do not permit a long commute. Easy subway access to both Midtown and TriBeCa is a requirement, and that 2.5 block corridor of 14th street seems to offer the best options.

Is there a difference between the neighborhoods north & south of 14th? And 14th itself is a pretty busy street that we probably wouldn't want to live directly on, right?

And who are the big apartment brokers in the neighborhood?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Check out the NY Times and the Village Voice. The big brokers are listed there.

14th is pretty busy but really no busier than the Avenues and there's not much housing on it in any case. South of 14th is Greenwich Village which is generally older, smaller scaled and more tree lined than north of 14th. Demorgraphically they are pretty similar though.

Really, anywhere south of about 28th, west of Broadway, east of 9th and north of Houston should do you fine commuting. Base your pick on the apartment rather than a more limiting few block geographical area.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ Just want to be within a couple blocks of the F, N or Q. But the difficulty is that we also need to be within a couple blocks of the 1, 9, A, C or E, and preferably the 4/5/6.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Anywhere in the area I gave you is less than 10 minutes from the 1,9,A,C,E,F,N,Q. The 4/5/6 is more on the eastern boundry so you'd probably want to go with 7th Ave and east.

·
Brooklyn Real Estater
182 Posts
Chi-town,

Are you definite on the city? I'm a broker in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Williamsburg is one of the hippest scenes in the US, and the closest to the city without being in the city. Tons of apartment deals out here. We're talking anywhere from 4 to 12 mins to the city on the "L" train line. I have lived here for 4 years and it's scene is super young professional, fresh out of college, artsy, gay friendly, straight friendly, whatever friendly, and the prices for a good 3 bedroom average 2800 on the Bedford L train stop, to about 2100-2200 near the Grand L stop. There are more galleries here than anywhere else in the United States. The bar scene here is smokin', and the rock scene here is "IT". Heard of Latigre, TV on the Radio?

Email me if you are interested or check our website: http://www.selectbrooklyn.com

[email protected]

the Best,
Brad

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^ I'd really prefer staying on the island, as commute time is VERY important (I'll be working 90-100 hour weeks, I want to be to work in 20 minutes).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts