Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my photos I got from the recent Paseo Arts Festival...last weekend, I think. These are all from an area mostly around Dewey Ave and NW 30th. It's an old residential area that turning the corner pretty fast. OKC throws two major arts festivals every spring. The main one is the downtown Festival of the Arts, which was about a month ago. In past years it's been the 3rd largest arts festival in the country. Then there's the much smaller, less hoity-toity affair that occurs every year in the Paseo District. There's live music for 3 days, the streets in the Paseo close and make way for the artists in the neighborhood to showcase their art for sale. Paseo is regarded as the hard-core-only affair, whereas the Festival of the Arts is more family-friendly, as long as you can afford it. Art at Paseo is also much less expensive usually, and more eclectic. What you'll never find that you would find at the Festival of the Arts is classical, baroque, and you'll find a whole lot less Native American art and Americana.

That'll do it.

·
Big City Enthusiast
784 Posts
Hm, from your pics - the Paseo Arts Festival does look like a great intimate event.

I attended the huge downtown Festival of the Arts (I usually fly in every year for it) but never attended the Paseo's, since it is during Memorial Day.

I guess that time is good for having a more intimate arts fest, I heard the attendance and size of it was larger than in past years. Next year or so, Ill have to attend it.

Guys, it would be nice if you all could comment on the pics tho.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, most long-term members here know well my stance on this issue...no one listened to me the last four times I tried, and now every now and then someone spouts off about how we aren't part of the Midwest.

Well oh well, but per administrative action, I'm with you guys.

Looks exactly how I picture it.
Is that a good thing? lol

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Yeah, most long-term members here know well my stance on this issue...no one listened to me the last four times I tried, and now every now and then someone spouts off about how we aren't part of the Midwest.

Well oh well, but per administrative action, I'm with you guys.

Becuase you arent! Oklahoma was never(and never will be) midwestern! I dont understand why so many people think it is, unless your smoking crack, Its not midwestern. Which doesent make it bad.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Compliments of wikipedia, here is the US Census map of the Midwest....

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Becuase you arent! Oklahoma was never(and never will be) midwestern! I dont understand why so many people think it is, unless your smoking crack, Its not midwestern. Which doesent make it bad.
Excuse me no need to jump down my throat on the issue, it sure as hell isn't me that put Oklahoma in the Midwest in this forum, and you very well know some of the later debacles that happened, including a forum-wide vote on the issue.

·
Banned
892 Posts
Oklahoma is in a rough spot. I consider it to have both Midwestern and Southern influences. To me, KS, NE, SD, and ND are Midwestern and since they share so much in common with OK, I'm inclined to include OK in the Midwest....not the rustbelt, cold, dying cities of the Midwest, but the Great Plains Midwest. I hope that makes sense. I see the Midwest in 2 groups.....KS, OK, NE, SD, ND, IA, MO, MN......and then OH, MI, IN, IL, WI.

I've come to accept the fact that OH is considered Midwest to most people. However, when I was growing up I always wondered how Ohio could be Midwestern seeing as it's so close to the east coast. I always thought Midwestern should mean MIDWESTERN and not MIDEASTERN. :lol: So if we're talking about geography-wise....OK is much more Midwestern than most other "Midwest" states. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Oklahoma is in a rough spot. I consider it to have both Midwestern and Southern influences. To me, KS, NE, SD, and ND are Midwestern and since they share so much in common with OK, I'm inclined to include OK in the Midwest....not the rustbelt, cold, dying cities of the Midwest, but the Great Plains Midwest. I hope that makes sense. I see the Midwest in 2 groups.....KS, OK, NE, SD, ND, IA, MO, MN......and then OH, MI, IN, IL, WI.

I've come to accept the fact that OH is considered Midwest to most people. However, when I was growing up I always wondered how Ohio could be Midwestern seeing as it's so close to the east coast. I always thought Midwestern should mean MIDWESTERN and not MIDEASTERN. :lol: So if we're talking about geography-wise....OK is much more Midwestern than most other "Midwest" states. :cheers:
it is odd that people in this section of what we call the 'midwest'
are practicly buried in the east, while places like KS, ND, and SD are considered the same region, it should be mideast, and midwest,
but I still do not consider OK midwestern, it is clearly southern, and if peoples idea of midwest is southern, than by all means. Kentucky has alot of midwestern influence, why not throw it in too?

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I have been to Oklahoma, some very close friends live their.
Its not midwestern, it is very much a bible belt, southern state.
Its not a bad place, I liked some of it, especially OKC, but it did not feel anything like the midwest. The history, people, culture, architecture, etc, was not midwestern, it seemed to be more of a mix of southwest and southern. If Oklahoma is midwestern, than so is Kentucky, I mean, they are a hell alot more midwestern than Oklahoma.

·
1981 Civic
2,911 Posts
Alright. Everyone calm down a bit.

Oklahoma is NOT Midwestern or Southern. In reality, Oklahoma is its own thing, like Texas. But if a region were to be applied it would probably be Great Plains. And surprise, the title of this sub-forum is Midwest and Great Plains.

·
I claim to be staff.
2,171 Posts
Alright. Everyone calm down a bit...And surprise, the title of this sub-forum is Midwest and Great Plains.
Agreed. Calm down people. We've had this debate time and time again. No maps, quotes or personal beliefs are going to change the way it is.

SRG said:
Sure, it's a good thing. What I mean is that the pictures represent exactly what I would picture an art festival in Paseo to be. Lots of friendly looking people, an "Oklahoma setting" (architecture) and bunches of stands where people go to find various works of art. Maybe next year I'll have a stand where I'll sell my photos. :)

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't know you were familiar with the Paseo District or that you did art festivals, that's really cool.

As for what Oklahoma is, all I've got to add is we're beating a dead horse that died a really horrific death, and it is time to move on...

P.S. Horses are pretty Southern. :bash:

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I didn't know you were familiar with the Paseo District or that you did art festivals, that's really cool.

As for what Oklahoma is, all I've got to add is we're beating a dead horse that died a really horrific death, and it is time to move on...

P.S. Horses are pretty Southern. :bash:
I'll say its great plains,
but it is not midwestern, people need to stop saying it is.
I dont even know why both the regions are in the same section.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin are Great Lakes states.
1,000 ft Iron Ore Carrier cannot fit on any river in the Midwest or Great Plains, there are no deep water harbors. There's no "lake effect" weather 10+ degree difference from the coast to the environs on the Plains or in the middle west, no under water grave yards of schooners, no large sand dune beaches, no surfing either.
Y'know to add some more chaos to the bubbling caldron.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts