SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really believe C2S sucks, it's just a real attention-getting title. But still, I'm starting to realize it has major flaws that, if realized, almost definitely would prevent OKC from becoming this grandiose vision of new urbanism. I wrote a LOT about it here:

http://downtownontherange.blogspot.com/2009/07/closing-argument-on-c2s-boulevard.html
The boulevard has to go..

http://downtownontherange.blogspot.com/2009/07/questioning-layout-of-c2s-plan.html
The layout doesn't make sense..

http://downtownontherange.blogspot.com/2009/07/my-alternate-c2s-proposal.html
Offering a better alternative..

Here's my better alternative:

Key differences....

1. The boulevard doesn't hog the glory and threaten to be an even bigger flop than I.M. Pei.
2. The canal extension route, which I agree is needed, does not cut off downtown.
3. The convention center is moved to break up the cluster of super-block structures.
4. The park is a continuous flow of greenspace from the core to the shore.
5. I added a smaller pocket park to the west to build an upscale district around.
6. I included for historic preservation along SW 3rd Street to preserve some cool brick warehouses.
7. I call for Shields Boulevard being lowered, so that it doesn't become the next thing to blame after I-40 is moved.
8. A streetcar system similar to Jeff Bezdek's proposal is included in the C2S masterplan.
9. The neighborhoods make a lot more sense and flow better, so it feels more like a continuous area.

·
Banned
1,096 Posts
I was under the impression that core to shore was some kind of conceptual drawing of what the area could look like if developed and not a proposal. So the likelihood of it actually being developed like the renderings are pretty mush zero anyway.

·
Red Sox Nation!
1,497 Posts
I was under the impression that core to shore was some kind of conceptual drawing of what the area could look like if developed and not a proposal. So the likelihood of it actually being developed like the renderings are pretty mush zero anyway.
^^read more into it then!:bash:The MAPS 3 vote this December will probb. have a convention center or central park in the recently bought land south of the current i-40 wich will be the C2S area!like we have posted before the current i-40 will be torn down upon completion of the new 850 mill$ i-40 and a new grand blvd will be placed there,upon other things already started is the chesapeake boathouse and boathouse row to come,but we'll see come december!

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dmoor, chill. Bad dmoor. Bad.

C2S has city components. It's the planning committee that is deciding stuff about the central park, it will decide where the new convention center goes, and they will adversely affect the walkability of the area with excessively-wide boulevards. MAPS 3, which will go to a vote soon, will be at least $500 million, likely closer to $1 billion.. so the convention center, central park, the main boulevard, and riverfront are huge, expensive projects.

·
Registered User.
2,249 Posts
Cashville, if you see that the thread title has any word pertaining to OKC or Oklahoma, stay the hell out. You are jealous and angry that a city such as OKC has the types and the amount of projects proposed or being constructed, it's so obvious. I'm just calling it out because I'm tired of your pathetic bull crap coming into OKC threads trying to start stuff. I don't care if you have a problem with SRG or whoever else, take it up in PM's.

Your nothing but a troll.

And C2S is a massive general idea. Most of what is proposed probably will not come as we see or even come at all. It's an idea for the people of OKC to tinker with and from what I've taken out of kind of pick out what they want from this idea, kind of like a shelf full of toys (that you were deprived of as a child) and you can only pick one or two to ride with you in the car on the way to the grocery store.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well Core to Shore is the consensus that's been reached regarding the next phase of downtown development, and most of these things will come from Maps 3, which will have a pricetag near $1 billion. The city council has been mute, but everyone who has a real say on Maps 3 has said it will have, at least, a downtown transit component, a newer convention center, something to enhance the river, and a central park. Anything else is bonus. The deadline Mayor Mick set for the unveiling of Maps 3 for September.

I don't know why Cashville has a childish hate for me, but I think I'm usually a pretty respectful contributor. I love to convey how positive the situation in OKC is. If Cashville is right that the situation is more positive in his town and others than in OKC, then why is he bent on beating down OKC?

·
Red Sox Nation!
1,497 Posts
Well Core to Shore is the consensus that's been reached regarding the next phase of downtown development, and most of these things will come from Maps 3, which will have a pricetag near $1 billion. The city council has been mute, but everyone who has a real say on Maps 3 has said it will have, at least, a downtown transit component, a newer convention center, something to enhance the river, and a central park. Anything else is bonus. The deadline Mayor Mick set for the unveiling of Maps 3 for September.

I don't know why Cashville has a childish hate for me, but I think I'm usually a pretty respectful contributor. I love to convey how positive the situation in OKC is. If Cashville is right that the situation is more positive in his town and others than in OKC, then why is he bent on beating down OKC?
^^^^^^^^I enjoy your input SRG!!!, on this site and others!Downtownontherange is great, so is Okmet!
:banana:

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks dmoor. This site is entirely secondary to the two sites I run..and OkMet used to be my main endeavor, especially back when we averaged at least 100 posts a day.. but now that that's no longer the case, the blog is what I actually spend time on. I really appreciate your comment, though. :)

·
Red Sox Nation!
1,497 Posts
^^
Thanks dmoor. This site is entirely secondary to the two sites I run..and OkMet used to be my main endeavor, especially back when we averaged at least 100 posts a day.. but now that that's no longer the case, the blog is what I actually spend time on. I really appreciate your comment, though. :)
^^^^^^I enjoy OkMet,I joined mid last year and spent alot of time on that site but then something went wrong-I could'nt even log on or get to the site,but now atleast once aday i'll go on OkMet to see if something new is posted sometimes research old archives!You think it is gone? or will it be back were it was again?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts