SkyscraperCity Forum banner

OL walks with the camera again!

4016 Views 37 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  Geex
Episode One: Walk from my apartment to Pasila railway station

I started taking photos by making tours around the city on feet. This stopped sometime in winter 2004, but I've been itching to get "back to roots". Inspired by John and his London threads . . .

Definitely not the accurate route, but should give some idea.

No one standing behind my door . . .

The building I can see from my window and the old horse stables / car garages in front of it.

Looking back: my apartment is in the yellow building at the back (the one of which only little can be seen).

Apparently the university has a small building around here.

Maybe they research drugs at site. (Kallio district -that is, the place where these photos were taken-- is the second in the city where most drug crimes take place). ;)

A building by the Helsinginkatu street, the busiest street in the district, also featured in the start post of the "Ugly Areas of this city" thread. Wonder how long has passed since the last renovation?

View from the corner to other direction.

I cross the busy street and come to a small side street.

Few streets in this part of Kallio that I walk past

I walk quite a bit (not shown in pics)

. . .

Until:

Nordea Bank's Finland headquarters (?)

This is where a district called Vallila begins. Instead of the old area, I go to the part which was built in 1980s. It's dominated by buildings owned by the Swedish-Finnish company TealiaSonera.

So, I turn left . . . and face this building, which is the newest of Sonera's buildings here.

The main entrance.

A parking cave under construction

One of Sonera's buildings.

From Vallila, I approach Eastern Pasila, built mostly in 1970s.

Walking towards Pasila railway station.

Crossing the "sky"bridge that goes to the station

Inside the main hall.

Going down the escalators to the train platform.

People waiting for the train.

Which comes soon.

Inside the train. :)

Next episode: walk to "school" ;)
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Nice to hear you were inspired by my London tours (I'll sure make more :)). I see spring isn't very fond of coming to Helsinki yet, hopefully it will sooner or later. ;)

Btw, it's much more interesting to provide a map with a route, that's the way all photo threads should go.

And thanks for the tour, I for sure will be waiting for the next one :eek:kay:
Thanks for the interesting phototrip and especially for showing not-so-nice places :)
Thanks for the tour. Kallio buildings look average, but just some renovation is needed. Pasila looks cool, I like the idea of having different "levels" (like in Japanese cities).
i dont know if its on purpose.. but ive noticed on yer pics (not just these) that on pictures of people u often (try?) to include non-finnish people.. like that black woman etc.. when i was in helsinki i almost didnt see any immigrants at all..
no disrespecting.. but are you doing this on purpose to make finland look more multicural or something like that ? :)

anyways.. very nice pics as always.. hope u starting to make some tours of helsinki now in summer :)

peace
Thanks for the tour Oberleutnant :eek:kay:

I hope you will make much more trips like this and idea with map is good, maybe i will steel this idea from you ;)
Very nice! :)

and yeah I noticed the same thing as DnH because I expected a lot of blond people lol
@John

:D We're supposed to have around 10 C degrees tomorrow, so it's kinda coming, although -again, looking at your pics and reading your coments about the situation there- our northern location is driving me crazy. Year ago, our situation was like this: http://members.lycos.nl/oberleutnant/kallio/streetdown.jpg

Meh, I digress. :) Aciu!

@ Mantaz
Thanks! It has been on my agenda to photograprh more of Pasila, since I haven't done that since summer (there's proper commieblocks, there!), but I've been slow to react.

@ sander
Aitäh! Yup, that two level thing with Eastern Pasila is exactly as you described. It was believed in 1970s that private car use would increase a lot, so much in a matter of fact, that a multilane motorway was planned to go through the downtown (lotsa buildings would've been bulldozed to make room for it, including buildings of historical value).

A bad pic that shows the planned motorway going next to Johannes church

While newer architecture has improved the look of Eastern Pasila, it remains as something of a bizarre place. It's unlike any other place in the city, that's for sure.

DnH said:
i dont know if its on purpose.. but ive noticed on yer pics (not just these) that on pictures of people u often (try?) to include non-finnish people.. like that black woman etc.. when i was in helsinki i almost didnt see any immigrants at all..
no disrespecting.. but are you doing this on purpose to make finland look more multicural or something like that ? :)

anyways.. very nice pics as always.. hope u starting to make some tours of helsinki now in summer :)

peace
@ LOL, no :D Not doing such thing on purpose. In fact I just noticed that black woman in the railway station pic! :) A noticeable share of the residents of Eastern Pasila are of immigrant origin, although according to the official statistics (http://www.hel.fi/tietokeskus/helsinki_alueittain_2004/304Pasila.pdf) people with foreign background only account 10% of the entire population. To my knowledge that doesn't include their children, of course. Which areas did you visit of the city? :) If you stayed only near the Esplanade park and its surroundings, you probably didn't see many people of non-Finnish background, other than Japanese and American tourists, but if you go few kilometers past that place, you should see them on every street. One of these days, I ought to photograph the ethnic shops along one street in Kallio -> indian shops that sell imported food and rent bollywood movies, African ones, Chinese ones, Thai ones, etc.

In Vallila, there is a Russian club, of which large share of visitors are Russian immigrants. They play Russian music, serve Russian drinks, etc. From what I've heard, visit there is like being transported to five hours of drive away to St. Petersburg,

@ Geex

Please, steal it! :D I used map in summer 2003 pics (before that someone else used it), and I've seen others (John, mlm, etc.) use map, too. It does help a lot.

@ Singidunum

:D
Thanks. I think one of the reasons why you don't see nowadays that many blond people (our blond ratio is very high!) is that many dye their hair to other colour.
Great to see that you are out walking with the camera again! Helsinki still looks abit gray from the winter-time, but spring is around the corner :)

I saw John's fine threads of suburban London earlier today, without having anything to add on those.

Finally I will start my own photo-walks again, in a week or so. But it'll be in a city where I've never taken any photos before. Infact, I have never been to the city or that country it is located in;)
Nice to see some every day life and not only glamourus skyscrapers.
Great pics, as always, yes, the map is a great addition, i ought to make something similar ;) Pasila looks pretty ordinary, kinda like parts of tallinn downtown where a mix of 1970s architecture and modern architecture fuse, i bet some cant distinguish the difference if i was to show a couple of pics :)Espc the one with the tramstop :)
may i answer to DnH aswell? :)
@DnH well, i was still amazed of how many immigrants i saw in Helsinki some time ago, im sure the number is even bigger in Stockholm, but saying there are little of them is quite false :)
Ch1le : yeah .. helsinki (or whole finland as well) is definatly not some "melting pot" of all cultures comparing to other scandinavian citys... but yeah.. i saw some immigrants when i was there (other than russian immigrants), not many, but more than i thought i would do.. i remember some finnish radio said that the multiculturalism of sweden would be its collapse...
i think this is good that finland is starting to be more multicural.. what do you think Oberleutnant?
^^^
Multiculturalism is definitely a good thing, though you have to watch WHAT kind of multiculturalism you've got. I'd certainly appreciate more immigrants from SE Asia, Europe (Eastern and Western), Australia etc. It's a different issue as we're talking about Middle East though.
John, i dont know why, but you seem so malleable, ever since Bush visited Vilnius you have been waving the red white and blue and singing the anthem.. Middle easterners are like anyone else, people looking for a better future.. i cant see any difference between them and say Indians...
not that anyone can stop you from hugging bush, but ... its just, a bit irritating :)
@ NorthStar77
;) I think I know the place you are referring to. I'll be waiting for your complete photo coverage.

@ Nightsky
I've been trying to do that more recently. :)

@ ch1le
:) Thanks for the pics and immigrant comments.

@ DnH, Jonas, ch1le

"i think this is good that finland is starting to be more multicural.. what do you think Oberleutnant?"

Yes, most definitely! However, all the work and effort should be done to make them feel home here. I do not want to see some suburbs turn into places where Finnish is minority language, with people living completely detached from rest of the society, nor do I want religious fundamentalism taking over.

The best way to fight these things is to help guarantee immigrants a good life here. To achieve that, both Finns and them need to work together.

AFAIK the way majority of the population here sees ethnic groups, foreigners and minorities something like this, from most preferable to least preferable:

1. Europeans, other caucasians and the fully integrated old national minorities (the Sámi, "the old Russians", Jews and Tatars)
2. Asians, Indians, etc.
3. "New Russians" (treated different from other Europeans)
4. Arabs, Kurds, Turkish, etc.
5. Africans
6. Somali (treated different from other Africans)
7. Gipseys (part of the "old national minorities, but treated different)

Some information

http://www.hel.fi/tietokeskus/suunnat/ss104/Suunnat2004-1.pdf

At the end of 2000, 48 000 people with foreign background lived in Helsinki, Espoo and Vantaa. This figure includes everyone who speaks other than Finnish, Swedish or Saame as their mother tongue. That's ~5 % of the population in these cities.

I don't know what the exact number is for the entire Helsinki metropolitan area.

http://vsop-php.vsy.fi/opinto/maahanmuuttajat/index.php?k=1946

Data as of 2002

The largest ethnic *immigrant* groups in the entire country

Russians are the largest and fastest growing immigrant group in Finland at the moment (33 401).

Culturally, Ingrians from the other side of the Russian border are somewhere between Finland and Russia. 25,000 of them have moved here after the USSR broke up, with 22,000 waiting in line for permits.

At the end of 2002, 12 428 Estonian nationalities lived in Finland.

Somali are the largest African ethnic group (7 332).

Vietnamese, Chinese and Thai form the largest Asian groups (~ 9200 altogether),

7 929 Iraqi, Iranian and Turkish lived here in 2002.

~8140 people from former republics of Yugoslavia

- - -
AFAIK these figures do not include people who have been granted Finnish nationality or their children who have been born here.

+22 250 foreign refugees
lol blonde Fins are changing their colour while many Serbian girls desperately want to become blonds :D
We estonians have a special status in Helsinki :) Tallinn is cooperating with Helsinki to get a single transportation system and more cooperation :) Dicity well :)
@ch1le
that's perhaps because I've already spent a couple of months in a place where I can meet all kinds of immigrants from every corner of the world and believe you me, they are NOT all the same. In fact VERY far from that (example with Indians was not exactly relevant, by SE Asia I meant China, Thailand etc., not India).
Sorry for my absolutely stupid question, but is Pasila the central or main train station in Helsinki?

BTW great pics!
@ Edmundo
:) That's not a stupid question, glad you asked! Pasila is more or less the secondary central train station of the city, since all the train traffic that goes to the central station also goes through it.

In Pasila, two rail lines merge into one line that continues to the central station which is in the downtown. Like this:

The old central railway station: http://www.korttelit.fi/rakennus.php/id/254

This aerial / render of the Pasila shows how the Eastern Pasila (on the right) looks from the air. Those 60-90m high-rises are part of a development project that will be realized in the near future, and Pasila railway station can be seen behind them, attached to Eastern Pasila.

(c) Cino Zucchi Architetti

@ Singidunum
No one is ever satisfied with anything. :D That's how it goes.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.