Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Marlin would contriubute 291 million to stadium

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/snackeru/greet/2005/02/08/the_deal_in_florida.html

"The Marlins are contributing $194 million to the stadium, the fourth-largest contribution ever by a baseball team."

Is this being done to try to get the marlins to Orlando.They dont even have to change their name. Florida Marlins. The marlins would contribute 194 million to their propsed 300+ million retractable roof stadium.

·
Banned
579 Posts

·
Banned
579 Posts
Really, then why dont you go support them. Behind Tampa they had the worst attendance in the MLB.

Money and a new stadium will change their minds
like their gonna get any more attendace in orlando, yea right :lol: , why don't they just play at the orange bowl, thats a nice stadium

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
like their gonna get any more attendace in orlando, yea right :lol: , why don't they just play at the orange bowl, thats a nice stadium
The rotting Orange bowl. UM doesnt even want to play there anymore. Why would a pro team play there.

Orlando and its 35 million tourist everyyear, would support the team in the convention center area.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
The Marlins would Contribute the Money for a Stadium in Miami not Orlando, Orlando was mentioned very loosely years ago but its not even a top possibilty anymore and the Marlins really want to stay in Miami theyre still trying hard to get what i think is missing 30 million to start building it in Downtown Miami.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Marlins would Contribute the Money for a Stadium in Miami not Orlando, Orlando was mentioned very loosely years ago but its not even a top possibilty anymore and the Marlins really want to stay in Miami theyre still trying hard to get what i think is missing 30 million to start building it in Downtown Miami.
The Marlins will probably leave, its taken them over 3 years to get a stadium, they are getting kicked out of Dolfin stadium. The have won 2 championships and still no support for them. That is terrible. The marlins almost moved to San Antonio. If Orlando builds a state of the art baseball stadium the Marlin will move. Trust me the Marlins have been let down by Miami fans for years. And putting a stadium in Hialeah, that is ridiculous. The cubans prefer to watch baseball at home, they dont want to spend the money on those expensive hot dogs.
:banana:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Marlins will probably leave, its taken them over 3 years to get a stadium, they are getting kicked out of Dolfin stadium. The have won 2 championships and still no support for them. That is terrible. The marlins almost moved to San Antonio. If Orlando builds a state of the art baseball stadium the Marlin will move. Trust me the Marlins have been let down by Miami fans for years. And putting a stadium in Hialeah, that is ridiculous. The cubans prefer to watch baseball at home, they dont want to spend the money on those expensive hot dogs and beer. They rather stay at home playing dominos watching the game and drinking their own been and rum ("Cuba libre")

·
Banned
579 Posts
The Marlins will probably leave, its taken them over 3 years to get a stadium, they are getting kicked out of Dolfin stadium. The have won 2 championships and still no support for them. That is terrible. The marlins almost moved to San Antonio. If Orlando builds a state of the art baseball stadium the Marlin will move. Trust me the Marlins have been let down by Miami fans for years. And putting a stadium in Hialeah, that is ridiculous. The cubans prefer to watch baseball at home, they dont want to spend the money on those expensive hot dogs.
i really don't think the marlins are leaving any time soon, i mean i have to see it to believe it!!!!! if the marlins leave then south florida wont have any MLB team!!!!!! cubans love baseball i don't think they are going to let the marlins go!!! unless they built an outstanding stadium then they might move in but until then, the marlins are staying in south florida!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
579 Posts
check this out guys: http://whodatzone.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8361

MIAMI -
The Florida Marlins will examine moving the franchise as early as the 2008 season, after years of unsuccessful attempts to secure a baseball-only stadium in downtown Miami.

Marlins President David Samson said Tuesday the team has received permission from Major League Baseball to investigate its options in other cities. Samson added that owner Jeffrey Loria's primary intention is to keep the team somewhere in South Florida.

"There will be no deal in the city of Miami," Samson said.

The Marlins' lease with Dolphins Stadium in the northern part of Miami-Dade County runs through 2007, but a series of one-year options could keep extend that through the 2010 season. Samson said the team will not extend its current lease at Dolphins Stadium under any circumstances.

"We simply must play in a baseball-only facility," Samson said.

Samson would not get into specifics of any trades, but said there would be a "significant market correction" to the team's payroll, effective immediately. Samson said that some cities have called the Marlins to discuss possibilities, but he wouldn't reveal any details. Marlins officials met in December with Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman.

"What does this mean? It does not mean that the Marlins are necessarily leaving South Florida. It does mean, however, that we need to seriously explore all of our options, including those in other markets," team owner Jeffery Loria said in a statement read by Samson. Loria was in Europe.

The team has lobbied for its own stadium since original owner H. Wayne Huizenga sold the team to John Henry in 1999. The team's latest ballpark plan, 38,000-seat stadium with a retractable roof that would be built next to Miami's
Orange Bowl, came apart this spring.

The ballpark had an estimated cost of $420 million to $435 million, and the financing plan included $60 million in state funding. While money was approved in April by the Florida House, the state Senate refused to go along.

Then, South Florida government officials and the team did not meet a June 9 deadline established by Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer, for a detailed update on the funding plans.

Miami Mayor Manny Diaz and Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Alvarez didn't immediately return messages seeking comment.

Meanwhile, the Marlins appeared to have begun to pare their payroll, which was at around $60 million on opening day last season. The Red Sox and Marlins reached a preliminary agreement Monday night on a trade that would send pitcher Josh Beckett and third baseman Mike Lowell to Boston for three prospects. The trade was not finalized because physicals were pending, according to a baseball official who requested anonymity.

The 25-year-old Beckett, eligible for salary arbitration, is expected to earn between $4 million and $5 million next year and can become a free agent after the 2007 season. Lowell, 31, is owed $9 million each of the next two seasons.

·
10,618 Posts
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/snackeru/greet/2005/02/08/the_deal_in_florida.html

"The Marlins are contributing $194 million to the stadium, the fourth-largest contribution ever by a baseball team."

Is this being done to try to get the marlins to Orlando.They dont even have to change their name. Florida Marlins. The marlins would contribute 194 million to their propsed 300+ million retractable roof stadium.
That link is from 2005 and referring to a stadium in Miami. It doesn't say anything about a stadium in Orlando.

The ballpark had an estimated cost of $420 million to $435 million, and the financing plan included $60 million in state funding. While money was approved in April by the Florida House, the state Senate refused to go along.
Its a shame that the Marlins have bad attendence, but I guess if a team that has won 2 world series in the last 10 years ('97, '03) can't get some attendence then I guess it just isn't there. Makes me wonder about the Devil Rays if they have a chance.

If the stadium is the problem and the Senate won't fund the $60 mil. Then maybe it is doomed, and the Marlins are prepping to move somewhere else.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That link is from 2005 and referring to a stadium in Miami. It doesn't say anything about a stadium in Orlando.

Its a shame that the Marlins have bad attendence, but I guess if a team that has won 2 world series in the last 10 years ('97, '03) can't get some attendence then I guess it just isn't there. Makes me wonder about the Devil Rays if they have a chance.

If the stadium is the problem and the Senate won't fund the $60 mil. Then maybe it is doomed, and the Marlins are prepping to move somewhere else.
I never said the article stated that the marlins were comming to Orlando, but if they build the Orange dome (see Orlando sentinel article posted) there is a good chance the Marlins will move or even the TB rays.

It is just a thought!! The Marlins have done a great job in the last ten years, better than the Dodgers who have the 2nd highest attendance in the MLB. The Marlins have the 2nd worst attendance behind TB aprox 12,000 per game. UF has a larger attendance than the Marlins and TB rays. Orlando will be a great place for MLB, the avg 8700 in a 9000 capacity stadium and please note it was the two worst team in baseball (TB and Rangers),and ticket prices were higher at Disney than Tropicana. Think about it.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
With the Devil Rays struggling, it doesn't make much sense for either team for the Marlins to move a short skip and a hop away from Tampa. If the Marlins relocate, it will be out of Florida.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With the Devil Rays struggling, it doesn't make much sense for either team for the Marlins to move a short skip and a hop away from Tampa. If the Marlins relocate, it will be out of Florida.
Where are they going to relocate to San Antonio, they will not build a stadium. Las Vegas never going to happen. I dont know what is all the hype with Vegas and sports. The AFL has a team in Vegas and they have the worst attendance record. Orlando has the 20 largest TV market in the US without a professional MLB or NFL or NHL team.

Think about JAX

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Where are they going to relocate to San Antonio, they will not build a stadium. Las Vegas never going to happen. I dont know what is all the hype with Vegas and sports. The AFL has a team in Vegas and they have the worst attendance record. Orlando has the 20 largest TV market in the US without a professional MLB or NFL or NHL team.

Think about JAX
If the State won't fund the gap for them to stay in Miami, what makes you think they'll be willing to pony up money to move them to a smaller Florida metro?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Forget the Marlins

What about these new stadium proposals outside of downtown Orlando. How will that effect the downtown projects.

Oh and a retractable roof in Florida is definatly the way to go. Your out of the elements when it's too hot or too stormy. If only RayJay had a roof.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
I'm curious to know whether Marc Watson or any investors spoke with the Marlins behind closed doors; I don't know how serious his proposal is; it is not received well in Orlando--yet; is it a ploy to derail the downtown trio of projects only, or is there a real bonafide proposal backed by serious talks... who knows?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts