SkyscraperCity banner

521 - 540 of 1779 Posts

·
Free Lebanese spirit
1,256 Posts
Jayme, when I was a kid, around 1972-1973 I saw the merchandise train crossing Dahr El-Baidar going to Zahleh, Rayak & Baalback. They were still using steam engine locomotives!

·
Melburnian
2,375 Posts
I love locomotives trains
the Gare de chemin de fer , is that like the Main Train Station of Beirut ?
i love Transport stuff some reason Trains Airplanes and Boats
it would be good if they brang back the Train Service

·
Free Lebanese spirit
1,256 Posts
I love locomotives trains
the Gare de chemin de fer , is that like the Main Train Station of Beirut ?
i love Transport stuff some reason Trains Airplanes and Boats
it would be good if they brang back the Train Service
No, Jayme, the Station near the harbour did not last very long for passengers train, it was used mainly for freight and I still remeber the rails in the middle of the road. The main station is located between Quarantina and Gemmayzeh.

·
Melburnian
2,375 Posts
do you think Lebanon will have a Train Service again
it will make things soo much easyer to get from one place to another

·
Free Lebanese spirit
1,256 Posts
do you think Lebanon will have a Train Service again
it will make things soo much easyer to get from one place to another
Lebanon is overcrowded and small, I don't think that a railway system would be practical. Especially when no one respect the traffic rules. Unfortunately, Lebanon is not Switzerland where the train is part of the national identity and culture. Maybe one day, a suspended train would be constructed along the coast to ease traffic.

·
Registered
47 Posts
wowww... these photos are unbelievable..thanks for posting them.. It really made me realise how much of Beirut has been lost over the years, it has a different beauty to it that makes it more special than it is now??? the war and lack of city plannin really took away its essence. I wish a train service existed but who knows maybe a subway or a coastal train as mentioned would be the way to go..

·
Free Lebanese spirit
1,256 Posts
Thanks Zouz, the war destroyed a lot and as you said, Beirut also lost its charm due to the lack of planning and conservation of the old buildings...

521 - 540 of 1779 Posts