SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Unexecuted plans for Frederikskirken in Copenhagen or Marmorkirken as it is more often known as these days.

The original project by Nicolai Eigtved who also built the Amalienborg pavillions, 1750-54

Ange-Jacques Gabriel, one of the most famous French architects of the time, also produced a proposal.

Another Frenchman Nicolas-Henri Jardin took over the project from 1758.

He developed the project towards a more classical direction.

All works were stopped in 1770 because the new king lacked interest. It was only resumed in the 1870s and the church was finally completed in 1894, according to new designs.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
hm, unfortunately its not that easy. Anyway, if you ever have time, it would be great if you could help me out. Oh, and get yourself a camera for heavens's sake.

I reckon you recognize where this is:

Isnt the stock exchange building still there, along with the statue I suppose?
The square is called Vågsallmenningen :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
In the case of Oslo, there is Akershus Castle, which like the two examples we have seen in Stockholm and Copenhagen began as a medieval fortress. Unlike, the other two, however, Akershus never made it past the renaissance stage and always retained its military function.
I've found some drawings of the fortress through times from 1925. I don't know the accuracity of them, but they may be of interest either way.

Year 1300:

1527:

1540:

1580:

1630:

1650:

1900:

·
Registered
652 Posts
There was a large barrack in Kamppi (Helsinki) that was built in 1830-1833. Kamppi became a battleground for German and Russian troops in 1918 and the building got destroyed.

·
Registered
398 Posts
In this case i can't at least say i'm against the building up there now, lasipalatsi/glass palace(build in 1936).

According to wiki the building was originally supposed be to just temporary solution before being demolished for bigger building, something i never knew.

SthlmSöder loving that 1946 pic, not feeling that monstrosity on the corner now at all. :no:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I don't know if anyone have followed the Oslo of Yore tread, but here is on example from the tread. A building we have completely ruined.

Hasselgården.The sad thing is that the building still stand there today but have been altered beyond recognition.

Hasselgården again. Apparently after an extension.

A picture from 1970. My guess would that this is when the building got its current facade.

The same building today after a reclad.

It have gotten a new layer of white paint since that photo was taken to be fair.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
To follow up on Hasselgården, then it could be mentioned that all these buildings who stands in the same street as Hasselgården no longer have their original appearance. The street is only 100m or so long. A shame imho.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

And this building on the left here burned down. The building was known as Peckelgården. Again from the same area as above.

Today, the replacement is the red brick building:

While this one was demolished and replaced with a '30s funkis:

Today:

·
Scandi-friendly
7,713 Posts
I don't know if anyone have followed the Oslo of Yore tread, but here is on example from the tread. A building we have completely ruined.

Hasselgården.The sad thing is that the building still stand there today but have been altered beyond recognition.

Hasselgården again. Apparently after an extension.

A picture from 1970. My guess would that this is when the building got its current facade.

The same building today after a reclad.

It have gotten a new layer of white paint since that photo was taken to be fair.
I'll just post the how it looks today. Note 1st floor looks much better.

·
Registered
11,036 Posts
The Royal Opera House in Stockholm

Gustav the III's opera house from 1782.
This was the opera where he also was murderd on the masquerade ball in 1792. Which inspired Giuseppe Verdi's opera 'A Masked Ball'

The opera was demolished in 1892

The new opera

Years later

Now

An old view from the opera roof where the parlament building on helgeandsholmen is not yet built.
And notice there is still no bridge from Drottninggatan.

Edit:

The opera was demolished in 1892

Arvfurstens palats (The Prince's palace) on the other side of the square looks almost like it's demolished brother did.

·
Registered
11,036 Posts
^^

Before they built the new and present opera they had this backdrop architecture of the old castle Tre Kronor.

I knew that they had a model of it on the world exhibition on Djurgården but I didn't know that they had this in the city, this was made for the Gustav II Adolfs jubileum in 1894.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
The English Quarter, Oslo.

Another from Oslo:

Big size: http://www.flickr.com/photos/iammadforit/3742721517/sizes/o/in/photostream/

The English Quarter was a luxurious apartment complex at Solli Plass in Oslo. It was inspired by the historic english row houses you will find in areas such as Kensington in London (hence the name) and it was said to be something unique in Scandinavia. The complex was drawn by german born Bernard Steckmest and norwegian Paul Due. These two architects where among the busiest in Oslo at the time, and stood behind several luxurious complex such as Victoria Terrasse and the Paris Quarter on the other side of the square.

The building was held in French Renaissance. This building in Huitfeldts Gate, Oslo is said to have a similar style:

The complex was later converted into offices and felt into disrepair. It was decided in 1965 that the complex should be demolished to make way for the Index building, a burtalistic highrise designed by the american born architect John Engh. This is today a listed building.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
When the future visited Bergen.

Proposal to demolish the wharf in Bergen. It can seems like it was actually approved according to the source. It did not happen though.

A approved proposal of demolishing a area known as Marken in Bergen and replace it with these highrises. Local protests got the area protected and it subsequently did not happen.

A proposed twelve stories high highrise to take the place occupied by Kjøttbasaren in Bergen. The local protested against it again.

41 - 60 of 121 Posts