Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 484 Posts

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
I posted this in the Metrolink Extension thread a week or so ago during the discussion about HS2 and Metrolink at Piccadilly Station.

Trams obviously used to glide down Piccadilly as this 1926 shot shows, although perhaps clank down would be a better description.

piccadilly 1926 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

photo credit to Manchester Transport Museum Society Archive.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
At the same event in 2014 here are another 2 trams. Nearest the camera Stockport 5 a 1901 Dick Kerr open top car and outside the depot Manchester 173 also from a 1901 order but most likely delivered by Brush in 1902. Both cars are in the care of the Manchester Transport Museum Society at Heaton Park. Stockport 5 is currently undergoing overhaul after operating in both Blackpool and Heaton Park. 173 awaits completion of a complete rebuild/restoration.

DSC_4294 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

The unrestored car on the extreme left is the lower deck of Oldham 43 built in 1902 by the Electric Railway and Tramways Carriage Works.

DSC_4296 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Also in the collection are two horse drawn vehicles from the Manchester Carriage and Tramways Company.

Double deck Eades Reversible Horse car L53 seen here on its launch day March 27th 2008,

IMG_0890 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

and here demonstrating the ability to be turned at termini instead of being double ended. The design was intended to save weight and maximise the capacity. The body is mounted on a pivot on the completely separate underframe. This car is on display at the Bury Transport Museum at Castlecroft.

P1000616 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

The other horse drawn vehicle is also from the Manchester Carriage and Tramways Company fleet and is double deck horse bus L2.

IMG_0904 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

this is owned by the Greater Manchester Transport Museum and resides at their museum on Boyle Street behind Queens Road bus depot.

The L prefixes to the fleet numbers denote the operating division of the company that the vehicle was attached to. both the preserved examples were with the Longsight division. The final horse trams operated in the Oldham and Openshaw division (O) between Ashton and Stalybridge until 1903. The photo below shows the Ashton Depot on Cowhill Lane from which it is believed these final trams ran.

P1110044 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

The other divisons were C cheetham Hill, HY Harpurhey, H Hulme, B Broughton, P Pendleton (where the company works was based) and W Weaste. The fleet totalled just over 500 cars in 1901 with a stud of around 5200 horses.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
A couple of photgraphs taken by my late Dad around 1964/5 of trolleybuses.

The first shows 3 Manchester BUT buses at Audenshaw alongside Ryecroft Hall. To the left out of shot is the present Metrolink Audenshaw stop. The overhead layout here allowed short working from Manchester to turn back and through buses to overtake those waiting at the stops.

neg966a by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

This second photo was taken at Stalybridge Bus Station with Ashton BUT bus 84 on a 218 to Manchester via Ashton Old Road standing in front of a Manchester BUT most likely on a 216 via Ashton New Road. There was a joint working agreement between Manchester, Ashton and SHMD on these routes although SHMD never operated trolleybuses. Included in the agreement was a clause which allowed for the provision of buses to replace breakdowns. If and Ashton bus failed in Manchester its crew would be provided with a Manchester bus and the failure taken to Hyde Road from where Ashton would collect it. If an Manchester bus failed in Ashton the reverse would happen.

neg964a by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

·
Mike
3,795 Posts
A couple of photgraphs taken by my late Dad around 1964/5 of trolleybuses.

The first shows 3 Manchester BUT buses at Audenshaw alongside Ryecroft Hall. To the left out of shot is the present Metrolink Audenshaw stop. The overhead layout here allowed short working from Manchester to turn back and through buses to overtake those waiting at the stops.

neg966a by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

This second photo was taken at Stalybridge Bus Station with Ashton BUT bus 84 on a 218 to Manchester via Ashton Old Road standing in front of a Manchester BUT most likely on a 216 via Ashton New Road. There was a joint working agreement between Manchester, Ashton and SHMD on these routes although SHMD never operated trolleybuses. Included in the agreement was a clause which allowed for the provision of buses to replace breakdowns. If and Ashton bus failed in Manchester its crew would be provided with a Manchester bus and the failure taken to Hyde Road from where Ashton would collect it. If an Manchester bus failed in Ashton the reverse would happen.

neg964a by Steve Hyde, on Flickr
Until I was about 20 years old, I'd have sworn blind that I'd seen Manchester trams in Piccadilly Gardens when I was young. Of course what I remembered seeing were trolley buses. I am far too young to have seen the original trams.:cheers:

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Until I was about 20 years old, I'd have sworn blind that I'd seen Manchester trams in Piccadilly Gardens when I was young. Of course what I remembered seeing were trolley buses. I am far too young to have seen the original trams.:cheers:
Despite a similar experience to what you describe above Altfish, I do have lasting memories of trams in Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield and obviously 1960s Blackpool when they still ran on the inland street routes. I consider myself lucky that Dad took me on many of his photography trips in their latter days.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Despite a similar experience to what you describe above Altfish, I do have lasting memories of trams in Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield and obviously 1960s Blackpool when they still ran on the inland street routes. I consider myself lucky that Dad took me on many of his photography trips in their latter days.
Suppose then that I am the lucky one. I can, just about, remember the odd tram in Manchester, though there were'nt that many after I was born. But trolleybuses I remember extremely well.

Somewhere in the box of old photos I have got several of trams, personnel, etc. around Manchester including one of an Eades car in service on Rochdale Road, actually quite close to where I live. I'll dig it out, reactivate my Flickr account and try uploading it.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Last Manchester tram 1007 in 1948: hence Metrolink started at 1001
Last Manchester trolley bus 1966
I don't think there was any link between the last Manchester tram to run being 1007 and the first T68 being 1001. The link was that the first T68 in passenger service through the city centre was 1007 which carried the head board reputed to have been carried by MCTD 1007 on its last trip. I must say though that I have never seen a photograph of the last tram procession which shows that board on 1007.

The original 1007 seen outside Birchfields Road Depot on the last day 10th January 1949 as quoted by bogblaster.

n4547 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr
Photo from Manchester Transport Museum Society archive.

Metrolink 1007 breaks the banner at Victoria on 27th April 1992.

1007 1992002 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

In fact the highest numbered Manchester Corporation tram in the fleet had been 1053 built in 1928.

n0225 by Steve Hyde, on Flickr
Photo from Manchester Transport Museum Society archive.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
As promised, yesterday, I have dug out a few pictures of old transport related pictures.

Let's start with the Eades patent horse tram on Rochdale Road. I have no idea where this came into the family, so can't credit it.

Eades Patent Horse Tram on Rochdale Road by the Farmyard Hotel Blackley by Collywobble1, on Flickr

At some time more recently, I was sent this coloured in copy of the same picture.

Horse Tram outside Farmyard Hotel c1891 by Collywobble1, on Flickr

As I understand it the Harpurhey depot for the horse tram company was just off the picture to the lower right hand side and later was the site of Harpurhey public baths.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
As promised, yesterday, I have dug out a few pictures of old transport related pictures.

Let's start with the Eades patent horse tram on Rochdale Road. I have no idea where this came into the family, so can't credit it.

At some time more recently, I was sent this coloured in copy of the same picture.

Horse Tram outside Farmyard Hotel c1891 by Collywobble1, on Flickr

As I understand it the Harpurhey depot for the horse tram company was just off the picture to the lower right hand side and later was the site of Harpurhey public baths.
Yes you are right bogblaster the depot was right opposite the Farmyard Hotel on the south side of Shepherd Street. It stood on the site of this rather splendid building shown in a Google Street View image. Although as the main tram entrance was on Rochdale Road I don't think it's the same structure.

Harpurhey Depot Site by Steve Hyde, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 484 Posts