SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heres some pics from about 2 weeks ago on a nice sunny day, some were taken from both areas and some from the Viewing Platform at the Baltic.

·
smalltown boy
3,433 Posts
I keep meaning to do a day trip to Newcastle - it's really not that far away from Edinburgh. These pictures have reminded me how much I'd like to go.

·
Waiting for 122
3,803 Posts
yes its a wonderful city, much better than I expected it. Went on a day trip during my hols up north. I took quite a few pictures but keep forgetting to post them. Will do soonish.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily fully agree with that statement, there are some absolutely wonderful city centres in the UK which easily compete with Newcastle architecturally. However, with Grainger Town it's easily one of the best and most complete neo-classical city centres in the country. The only places I can think of which would rival it are Edinburgh and Bath. Unfortunately the effect of Edinburgh's New Town has been somewhat spoiled by more recent developments along Princes Street but the areas behind it are still pretty stunning and Bath... well with the city centre being a World Heritage Site it doesn't really need an introduction. Truely stunning.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Of course my comment about Princes Street in Edinurgh is not to say that Newcastle hasn't had it's fair share of architectural atrocities committed in the past (and some would argue still being committed). The 1960s saw parts of the beautiful neo-classical Grangertown being torn down to make way for typical modernist concrete slabs. The most notable example is the demolition of the Royal Arcade to make way for central motorway and Swan House:

A token gesture of 'conservation' was made to the old Royal Arcade with the inclusion of a cheap replica into the scheme but it didn't even begin to compensate for the loss of the actual buiding.

Now, Swan House has been converted into appartments called 55 degrees North. Certainly a vast improvement on the office building and at least they've put the Royal Arcade replica to good use as bars and restaurants.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Another notable example of architectural terrorism committed in the latter half of the 20th century in Newcastle is the demolishing of three sides of old Eldon Square to build Eldon Square shopping centre. Today only one side of the Georgian square remains and that's only because they didn't finish their plans for the shopping centre which if had been realised would have seen all four sides of the square demolished.

Old Eldon Square
"A pleasant open space of green turf surrounded by trees. In the centre stands the City Memorial to men who fell in the Great War. The bronze figure represents St. George slaying the dragon"

Replaced with this:

The one remaining side of the original square:

There are many more such crimes committed in Newcastle but I won't post any more for now, I've probably depressed you all enough for one day!

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
A few old/closed "Photos-threads" from circa 2005 - Found elsewhere in SSC and merged in 2013

most of the times i've been here, it's at night for the clubs, so i left the camera at home. and the few times i've gone during the day? shite weather...unless i was just passing through on the way to Scotland.

here's the pics, most taken while the Tall Ships' Race was on the Tyne this summer.

Drink up bitches, it's a celebration!!!

always cool bridge views from the train

suburbs

o.k., into the city centre

it is OUR victory...as the english pointed out, and as the yank on hand, i had to agree with them

i couldn't help but take this sign out of context ;)

The Angel of the North

some more shots from the train

-

1 - 20 of 168 Posts