SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 3140 Posts

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
When i see old pics of NY i am always amazed by it.That's why i made this thread. And if you can find some old pics of NY ,post them here as well!

The Empire State Building Plane Crash
B-25 Bomber hits the 78th floor,juli 28, 1945!!

Empire state building

Chrysler Building

Empire State building 1931

1,559 Posts
I liked the skyline back then better........the gothic & art deco masterpieces were not hidden behind the hastily clad monoliths of the 70's and 80's......

·
My train goes everywhere!
2,759 Posts
I think these pics show a much better skyline then it is nowadays!

Especially this one! The perfect setting... water... dams.. and it goes slowly up to come to a climax!

D

·
0 Posts
I must admit that I like the skyline back then better. New York really used to be a beautiful city... now it's just an awesome city. :)

E

·
0 Posts
:D

New York is a lovely slice of chaos. It never officially started and it will probably never really be finished.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
<table cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width=98% class="quoteBox">
<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by Rainier Meadows </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>I liked the skyline back then better........the gothic & art deco masterpieces were not hidden behind the hastily clad monoliths of the 70's and 80's......</td></tr>
</table>

I Agree!

·
Maker of Lumpia
590 Posts
It is really interesting to see how many piers there were back then compared to now.

P

·
0 Posts
Interesting photos of old New York. Its cool to see old New York and a good reprieve from seeing too many modern New York photos. The Singer Building is now gone and is replaced with One Liberty Plaza.

T

·
0 Posts
Best thread ever

These are possibly the best NYC pictures I have ever seen! All of these pictures are awsome and the skyline looked better back then. A lot of buildings that dont get any shine now, stick out in the skyline in their own special way. I especially loved all the aerials! :D

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tugboats & Skyline....

Railroad Barge on the Hudson

Chrysler under construction

Times Square 1939

Penn Station

Sunset at Queensboro Bridge 1936

Herald Square 1920's

Waldorf-Astoria on 5th. Avenue in 1900...now home to the Empire State Building